Default Pajero 3.2 Did Gen 3 SWB - Intermittent "hunting"

Any ideas from same experience where to look for the cause will be appreciated.

Bought the very good condition car for my son. If the odometer is correct (odometer has been replaced but matches service history) it has done just over R200k. Problem is intermittently the revs do a bit of hunting when idling and also does something similar (hunting / surging) if driving and coasting (i.e. when accelerator pedal is feathered to a neutral throttle position, like when taking foot slightly off in order to just maintain same speed on level road or slight down hill). The moment you accelerate, well or even slightly then it is smooth.

I had the car at Alan Black in Springs but on the way there the "hunting" was not present and also not during the time they tested it. Feedback from Alan Black is that they could not find any fault codes, they gave the injector pump and injectors a clean bill of health and also advised the dyna results showed excellent output, etc..... in general all perfectly well. This after they also test drove it well...altogether almost half tank diesel.

Wife's advice is to just drive the thing properly then no issue but if you drive careful to save fuel the hunting becomes an irritation.

Any ideas where to look will be appreciated.

Default Re: Pajero 3.2 Did Gen 3 SWB - Intermittent "hunting"

Replace or clean the scv.

Does the zexel pump have a scv?

when last was gbox oil changed?
    Check that kick-down cable is adjusted properly.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    D40 Datsun V6
    130 Puma

Namboyz

Cobus
    Also have the occasional surging, but mostly under slight "load" uphill. Apparently suction control valve - can be cleaned as per you tube videos. What puts the surging to bed for me is longer highway trip at 120 km/h or flatbox through one or two gears up to 4000 rpm. SCV can be replaced, not that expensive apparently Nissan part the same as Mitsi, just cheaper. Your wife is a wise woman.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...51#post3927051
    SJ 413 - "98 model coily, until son gets license
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

Hi Johan

I also figured from reading the SCV can be a culprit but that is on the models with the Denso injector pump. The 2004 Pajero has the Zexel injector pump and I googled but can find info on a SCV for this pump. We checked on the car but can't see something that looks like the denso one? Will ask the people from Alan Black.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus Gouws View Post
    Hi Johan

I also figured from reading the SCV can be a culprit but that is on the models with the Denso injector pump. The 2004 Pajero has the Zexel injector pump and I googled but can find info on a SCV for this pump. We checked on the car but can't see something that looks like the denso one? Will ask the people from Alan Black.

Thanks
    Hi Cobus,

Maybe try some injector cleaner, my 2.5 Triton has the same symptons and now I routinely add a bottle of Wynns every second month or so. I know they said there isn't a issue with the injectors but I had the same problem with my bakkie and I picked up the info on this forum.

I also clean the MAF sensor every now and then as it gets a bit dusty after some off road fun.

Thanks Yster

Will try the injector cleaner as it can only be good.

Hi Cobus, I would like to find out if you ever found the solution to this problem. I have exactly the same problem on my 2005 SWB 3.2 DID.

Thanks for the help