Sous vide cooking

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Sous vide cooking

From wikipedia:
    Sous-vide (/suːˈviːd/; French for 'under vacuum'), also known as low temperature long time (LTLT) cooking, is a method of cooking in which food is placed in a plastic pouch or a glass jar and cooked in a water bath for longer than usual cooking times (usually 1 to 7 hours, up to 48 or more in some cases) at an accurately regulated temperature. The temperature is much lower than usually used for cooking, typically around 55 to 60 °C (131 to 140 °F) for meat, higher for vegetables. The intent is to cook the item evenly, ensuring that the inside is properly cooked without overcooking the outside, and to retain moisture.

My experience:
    We don't love cooking and only do it out of necessity, and then only basic stuff iver and over.
    Until I got this sous vide cooker.
    It changed everything and now I can't cook without it. For meat you vacuum all the spices, and flavors that you want with the raw meat and then cook it to the exact degree of rare, medium rare, medium etc That you want. After that you just sear it in a pan, under the grill or on the fire.
    Cheaper and tougher cuts of meat cooks perfectly tender and juicy.
    Vegetables are amazing. Because it cooks at a lower temperature the cells doesn't burst. This means that the nutrients and flavors stays intact.
    All foods can be cooked in advance and then just heated before eating.
    Next post an example.
    Choose life

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Sous vide cooking

This is a lamb rib that I devided into smaller portions and flavored them differently.
    Then into the vacuum machine. From there into the sous vide cooker for 24 hours at 60°c.
    Choose life

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

24 hours later and the rib is taken out, put in a tray and grilled for 5 minutes just to give it color and some crusty texture for the fat. See how the meat is coming loose from the bone.
    Perfectly tender and juicy right through.
    Choose life

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

I'm using an old Henkovac vacuum machine and a professional bath type sous vide cooker from Germany.
    The whole exercise csn be done much cheaper with zip lock bags and a stick type sous vide cooker. Lots of info on the internet.
    Look at the videos by 'Sous vide everything ' on YouTube. Great inspiration.
    Choose life

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

We just started experimenting with the stick type version, and also loving it.
    2011 Suzuki Jimny, Rocksliders (Bluerocket), Underbody protection (Stofpad), Roofrack (African Outback)
    Drawer System (self)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vstromPE For This Useful Post:

And it’s FANTASTIC for camping.

cook thick steaks or pork chops ahead of time, freeze them - and just thaw and re heat. Easy, little mess, tender and juicy.

Tell us more about the stick type? Costs etc...

Quote Originally Posted by vstromPE View Post
    We just started experimenting with the stick type version, and also loving it.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2019/08/06 at 09:22 PM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

I use that same stick type.

About R1800 from Takealot.

Just a tip or two - put your pot in a Wonderbag, you will use far less electricity. ( Wonderbag is a hayseed cooker bag, mini bean bag that insulates your pot, you lose less heat. )
    I dont even bother with vacuum seal - take goods out of the shops packets, place in a large freezer bag and then place in a second bag in case of a leak.
    Leave open ended so the meats can sink to the bottom and not float. Add a few teaspoons into the bag to help it sink.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/...ide-steak.html

How to sous vide steak bible.

https://www.chefsteps.com/sous-vide

all you need to know website.

100% worth it. Just so easy, so convenient.

No more getting your timing wrong. REally the way to go.
    Karooview Cottages
    Prince Albert
    www.karooview.co.za

4x4 and Caravan Friendly
    Outdoor plug points

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LLTHB For This Useful Post:

Our son is a fully trained modern, professional chef and he has introduced us to the joys of sous vide cooking. Very exciting, he has the stick type for home use plus a cheap vacuum machine. Seafood (and much other food) is also wonderful cooked like this.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Wonderbag is a good tip!

Not too sure what you mean by open ended - few teaspoons of water?

Quote Originally Posted by LLTHB View Post
    I use that same stick type.

About R1800 from Takealot.

Just a tip or two - put your pot in a Wonderbag, you will use far less electricity. ( Wonderbag is a hayseed cooker bag, mini bean bag that insulates your pot, you lose less heat. )
    I dont even bother with vacuum seal - take goods out of the shops packets, place in a large freezer bag and then place in a second bag in case of a leak.
    Leave open ended so the meats can sink to the bottom and not float. Add a few teaspoons into the bag to help it sink.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/...ide-steak.html

How to sous vide steak bible.

https://www.chefsteps.com/sous-vide

all you need to know website.

100% worth it. Just so easy, so convenient.

No more getting your timing wrong. REally the way to go.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Wonderbag is a good tip!

Not too sure what you mean by open ended - few teaspoons of water?

If not using vacuum bag, you need to get most of the air out of the ziplock bag, and the teaspoons would be for weight to keep the food from floating. If you use a vacuum bag it will always not float.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Its something I will look into as I am not stuck on any particular method and believe in experimenting. I dont think it will replace my low n slow smoker for difficult cuts but it will broaden what we do.Hang of a lot easier than setting up the smoker for a 12 or 14 hour run and it looks like it is a very consistent method.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

For those who want to try their hand at sous vide without the expensive machines, stick your steak in a vacuum bag (or buy it spiced and pre-vacuum packed), rack it in your dishwasher, set to to the ~60°C cycle and let it run. It's not exactly the same, but for shorter times (around 2 hours), it works WONDERS, apparently. I still need to try it once I can convince my wife that it's not a waste of time and money and a stupid thing to do...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    For those who want to try their hand at sous vide without the expensive machines, stick your steak in a vacuum bag (or buy it spiced and pre-vacuum packed), rack it in your dishwasher, set to to the ~60°C cycle and let it run. It's not exactly the same, but for shorter times (around 2 hours), it works WONDERS, apparently. I still need to try it once I can convince my wife that it's not a waste of time and money and a stupid thing to do...
    Just do it like you did with spare parts, you didnt ask her then either
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Where does the wood go for this sous machine?
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by riaan van wyk View Post
    where does the wood go for this sous machine?
    ;d;d;d;d;d
    Toyota Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 Auto

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Where does the wood go for this sous machine?
    On the IT are Time thread - LOL!!!

Reply to Paul on the teaspoons.

Yeah, sometimes the bags float a bit, whether vacuum or open ended, depends on the density of the food in the bag and any air trapped.

We just add a few teaspoons, the actual teaspoon itself or a serving spoon or 2 to keep the bag submerged.

One of the joys of this machine is the time latitude you have.

If you are expecting to serve steaks at 8 o'clock, you put them in the machine at say 6 o'clock.

Suddenly your guests say they want to eat at 7.30, no problem, pull the steaks, pat them dry, place in screaming hot pan for 2 mins each side maximum and all is done, no resting period, just serve and eat.

Or they say they not ready, they arrived late, want to eat at half past 8. No problem. just wait till they all seated, wine glasses full, pull the steaks, pat dry, in the pan for a few mins and serve.

We take frozen chicken pieces - the 8 piece thighs and drum sticks packs straight from the freezer.
    Remove the styrofoam and the liner and their plastic, place in a freezer bag and place in a second bag in case of leaks.
    Temp to 65 degrees for 2.5 hours on sous vide machine.
    Remove from plastic bags, grill in oven for 5 mins. Serve.
    Perfectly cooked.

Favourite is Steak Florentina or Steak Bistecca.
    Basically a 6cm thick 1.5kg T-bone.
    Temp to 44 degrees for 2.5 hours
    Light the braai after 2 hours
    Steak out the water onto the braai ( no need to pat dry if going to a grill, but must pat dry if going to a pan to prevent steam from occurring )
    Season as you go, braai for 2 mins each side and eat.

I can assure you that yes you can cook a Bistecca that big on the Weber or the Green Egg or the Braai.
    No problem.
    But you have to spend so much time watching it, monitoring the temperature etc.
    Now prep time before going in the water is 5 mins.
    Leave it alone for 2.5 hours, Drink beer, talk to guests, make pepper sauce.
    Out of water onto braai for 4 mins or so.
    Total interaction time has gone from over 2 hours to less than 10 mins.

Enjoy. We ordering a second unit soon - one for meat, one for fish or chicken etc as the temps are different.
    Stick type unit the way to go as you can just use a bigger pot, put 2 whole chickens in plastic bags in a big pot.
    The more conventional house hold units cant even hold a chicken braai pack properly.
    Karooview Cottages
    Prince Albert
    www.karooview.co.za

4x4 and Caravan Friendly
    Outdoor plug points

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LLTHB For This Useful Post:

woo hoo, don't forget the boerewors.

Simply stunning in sous vide.

Place your roll of wors in the packets, in machine with your steak for 2 hours.

On fire for a few mins to make nice and brown and caramelised.

No more flare ups, save so much time if you busy.

Of course you can do old fashioned way on the days you got time and feel like playing on the fire.

But the days you short of time, pre cook the wors and lamb chops in the machine, make small fire, grill for a few minutes, eat.
    Karooview Cottages
    Prince Albert
    www.karooview.co.za

4x4 and Caravan Friendly
    Outdoor plug points

32. The Following User Says Thank You to LLTHB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LLTHB View Post
    woo hoo, don't forget the boerewors.

Simply stunning in sous vide.

Place your roll of wors in the packets, in machine with your steak for 2 hours.

On fire for a few mins to make nice and brown and caramelised.

No more flare ups, save so much time if you busy.

Of course you can do old fashioned way on the days you got time and feel like playing on the fire.

But the days you short of time, pre cook the wors and lamb chops in the machine, make small fire, grill for a few minutes, eat.

Brisket is also fantastic - google sous vide brisket for some recipes. The one I use the brisket cooks for 45 hours in the Sous Vide, and then I finish it on the smoker for 3-4 hours.

So you get to use your wood!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast