Sous vide cooking - Page 6

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: Sous vide cooking

What would you recommend for a beef roll or brisket?

So far I have tried sirloin steaks. The wife was really impressed as she absolutely hates it when red juice comes out on the plate.
    Salmon and trout also great!
    Less so with hake.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

Is there a health risk in cooking in plastic bags?

It appears that little research has been done into the "good" non- BPA plastic bags and sous vide and there could be risks involved.

And Ziploc freezer bags (which appear to be widely used) are not intended for sous vide use.

Here is a good piece from Bon Appetit:

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/pla...fety-sous-vide

"When it comes to cooking, there’s very bad plastic and, uh, not-as-bad plastic. The bad plastic is polycarbonate, which releases the chemical Bisphenol A (BPA). This kind of plastic is found in cling wrap, plastic squeeze bottles, take-out containers, multi-gallon water bottles, and plastic plates.

The not-as-bad plastics do not release BPA and count high-density polyethylene, low-density polyethylene, and polypropylene among their ranks.

"The reason they're not necessarily “good” plastics is because a 2011 study found that when some were heated, these plastics —in fact, most plastics on the market, including those advertised as BPA free—release non-BPA chemicals that disrupt hormone activity. The amount of chemicals released, however, is unknown."

And here is a prominent web site which says its safe:
    https://modernistcuisine.com/2013/03/is-it-safe-cook-plastic/

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post
    What would you recommend for a beef roll or brisket?

So far I have tried sirloin steaks. The wife was really impressed as she absolutely hates it when red juice comes out on the plate.
    Salmon and trout also great!
    Less so with hake.

We we are doing a brisket right now. 52 hours at 56c then 3 hrs on smoker. 5kg. Seasoned with a spice rub.

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    We we are doing a brisket right now. 52 hours at 56c then 3 hrs on smoker. 5kg. Seasoned with a spice rub.
    That sounds amazing. Let us know the outcome.
    Choose life

Quote Originally Posted by Coenoes View Post
    That sounds amazing. Let us know the outcome.

Done it before - is fantastic!! Best way to do brisket. Bone in is best.

Talking Re: Sous vide cooking

We are camping with family and friends this weekend.
    Rika and I are preparing 9 Eisbeins for the one evening.
    Large crate with Taurus Sous Vide immersion cooker.
    12 hours at 80 deg C.

To limit the heat loss, she covered the crate with a card board box and a duvet.

We still have to decide how to sear them.
    They come out so tender, that they will fall apart on the braai, so that won't work.
    We will probably use a gas flame to crisp up the skin.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

I did a 1kg club steak and a 400g porterhouse in the dish washer, what a different take on the end result its really amazing, nice hot fire to Finnish them off Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190918_193007.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	541384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190918_200651.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	541385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190917_190820.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	541386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190917_192200.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	541387Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190917_190828.jpg 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	541388

Quote Originally Posted by Dudleytheplumber View Post
    I did a 1kg club steak and a 400g porterhouse in the dish washer, what a different take on the end result its really amazing, nice hot fire to Finnish them off Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190918_193007.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	541384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190918_200651.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	541385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190917_190820.jpg 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	541386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190917_192200.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	541387Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190917_190828.jpg 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	541388
    Explain the dishwasher please?
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

I'm STRONGLY considering making my own sous vide machine using a water boiler and an STC-1000 temp controller:

The STC-1000 is a really simple to use temperature controller with a ton more uses than just a sous vide machine, and is also cheap. Again, this is the cheapest one I found now, but I've paid a lot less for them in the past -
    https://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/...at+With+Sensor

The water boiler is big and easy to handle:
    https://www.takealot.com/pineware-23...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just need something to circulate the water a bit (optional) and a rack to hold the steaks (can also use string/rope and washing pegs to hang them in the water) and you have a sous vide machine for cheap-cheap. I already have an STC-1000 so for me it'll be a few hundred bucks at most. Just need something to stir the water around a bit. The temp controller will switch the bucket on and off as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I'm STRONGLY considering making my own sous vide machine using a water boiler and an STC-1000 temp controller:

The STC-1000 is a really simple to use temperature controller with a ton more uses than just a sous vide machine, and is also cheap. Again, this is the cheapest one I found now, but I've paid a lot less for them in the past -

Just need something to circulate the water a bit (optional) and a rack to hold the steaks (can also use string/rope and washing pegs to hang them in the water) and you have a sous vide machine for cheap-cheap. I already have an STC-1000 so for me it'll be a few hundred bucks at most. Just need something to stir the water around a bit. The temp controller will switch the bucket on and off as needed.
    I like the idea.
    What can you add to circulate the water? (most SV machines have that feature)
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

You don't need to circulate the water if the proportions are right. Weight of product to water volume. The professional water bath machine do not circulate the water
    Choose life

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    We are camping with family and friends this weekend.
    Rika and I are preparing 9 Eisbeins for the one evening.
    Large crate with Taurus Sous Vide immersion cooker.
    12 hours at 80 deg C.

To limit the heat loss, she covered the crate with a card board box and a duvet.

We still have to decide how to sear them.
    They come out so tender, that they will fall apart on the braai, so that won't work.
    We will probably use a gas flame to crisp up the skin.
    Are your eisbeins picked or smoked.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Coenoes View Post
    You don't need to circulate the water if the proportions are right. Weight of product to water volume. The professional water bath machine do not circulate the water
    I think the reason the domestic ones circulate the water is because they clip on to the side of the container. In a situation like 4e has with a large crate, one side would be cold and the other hot if you didn’t circulate the water.

In the bucket and in commercial machines the element is on the bottom so natural convection is much more likely.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Yeah circulation would be more needed with stronger elements, I think, or you're going to get "hot spots". Smaller element will heat slower so less hot spots. I'm still considering something like a submersible hot water pump, but they're in the R500 range and that'll make it more expensive again. Otherwise I can just link up a small motor like from an old microwave with something to just slowly stir the water. Or something.

Very cool idea.

Yeah circulation would be more needed with stronger elements, I think, or you're going to get "hot spots". Smaller element will heat slower so less hot spots. I'm still considering something like a submersible hot water pump, but they're in the R500 range and that'll make it more expensive again. Otherwise I can just link up a small motor like from an old microwave with something to just slowly stir the water. Or something.

I wish Amazon.com was active here in SA:

https://www.amazon.com/slp/model-boa...k8969ebqecy54c

Connect to a very small motor, done.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    In the bucket and in commercial machines the element is on the bottom so natural convection is much more likely.
    That's what I'm thinking as well. It's not difficult to suspend the probe halfway in the liquid - so you'll measure the middle of the water. It does move around in a boiler or kettle, and it does it pretty well as well. Should be simple to just suspend the meats from the lid with a piece of string into the water, probe through the lid, boiler plugged into STC-1000. I think I need to try it.

That's what I'm thinking as well. It's not difficult to suspend the probe halfway in the liquid - so you'll measure the middle of the water. It does move around in a boiler or kettle, and it does it pretty well as well. Should be simple to just suspend the meats from the lid with a piece of string into the water, probe through the lid, boiler plugged into STC-1000. I think I need to try it.

My concern with no circulation is getting the water to circulate around all the bagged food in there. We often put quite a bit in at once, because we freeze it. Though, not sure how much the little propellor within the bottom of my stick does, for water on the far side of the container...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I think the reason the domestic ones circulate the water is because they clip on to the side of the container. In a situation like 4e has with a large crate, one side would be cold and the other hot if you didn’t circulate the water.

A proper water bath is also insulated so nowhere for the heat to escape.
    Mine is still warm 2 days after switching it off.
    Choose life

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

I tried this after reading it on this thread. I seal my meat in a plastic bag with my vacuum sealer, a good zip lock can also be used. My suggestion is no additives, brines, or marinades, a little salt only, add what you want to when cooking/browning it... Just make sure the bag is as airtight/watertight as possible, you don't want the meat cooking in a bubble, it's not just meat that can be cooked like this veggies can be done in a glass jar, cous cous, rice, pasta almost anything, make sure you have enough liquid in the jar and room for expansion, you can cook with your dirty dishes or you food by itself, put the goodies in and switch on, let the cycle run,,
    I did not eat my steak immediately but froze them, when I needed them thawed them and then warmed them in hot not boiling water cooked browned them on a hot flame fire... Very lekker
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Explain the dishwasher please?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast