Sous vide cooking - Page 5

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Sous vide cooking

I am really so keen to try this

Update on this.

Catered for 8 people last night.
    Mains menu, their choice - Thick cut Lamb Loin Chops, Thick cut Lamb Shoulder Chops, Boerewors.

Ordered 25mm thick loin chops and 20mm thick shoulder chops.
    Thick chilli and cheese wors and 2 rolls of thin wors - springbuck and beef "bors vet" and a sosatie wors, also with "bors vet" - no "spek vet" allowed.
    But "bors vet" flares up a hell of a lot. Really makes a lot of smoke and flames.

Usually all this is a bit of a mare to cook on demand and under time pressure and you have to attend to it all the time, flare ups etc.
    Actually a mission to braai such fatty foods, but awesome taste.

Now on a personal braai when you have time, this is all cool and you drink beer and gaan aan and get dronk and eet lekker.
    No rush at all, must be low n slow.

But this catering is business and we offer a Mountain Meal experience and are under time and resources pressure.
    Set up on a local farm in the mountains, white linen service, crystal glasses

2 problems here:

1 - the wind can suddenly pick up and blow you out, happened last night just after starters.
    2 - cooking and braaing that lamb and wors, cook has to attend to the fire continually and cannot leave the fire to pour guests drinks etc.

Solution for us:

We put the meat in double plastic packets and into Sous Vide bath for 2.5 hours at 48 Deg C.

Now you got your guests meals 95% cooked before you light the fire.
    Light fire, mingle and kuier with group and judge when they want to eat.

See the look of panic when you take out all this "raw" meat and everyone still thinks food is an hour away.

Hot coals and 5 minutes is all it takes. Perfectly cooked on the braai flavour, grill scorch marks, all you need.

When the wind hit last night, packed up in a hurry, raced to alternate venue, lit fire - only needs to be small, make coals.

10 mins later meat goes on and is cooked in 5 minutes.

Just so simple, so easy, so convenient.

All the apps you need online with temp etc. YouTube is littered with movies on sous vide.

Ordering 2 more units this week. Works for us.

Cheers and good luck with it.
    Karooview Cottages
    Prince Albert
    www.karooview.co.za

4x4 and Caravan Friendly
    Outdoor plug points

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LLTHB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    I got my Sous Vide imersion cooker last week, and I'm experimenting with it.
    (Taurus Roner Clip)

So far I have done
    • Sirloin
    • Pork belly
    • Chicken

This weekend it is the king of steak - Picanha Steak, and boerewors.

So far I am more than impressed.

It does really well with some veg, too - carrots, baby potatoes in particular...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Thanks for this good info!
    Certainly makes sense for catering.

Swambo likes her meat cooked with no red juice and preferably not too pink.
    Is it worthwhile using sous vide for her well done chops steaks etc?

Using the cylinder units I presume there is a fair amount of evaporation when cooking for long periods. I know one can use Gladwrap/towels etc but I have heard of cylinders failing due to condensation on them. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by LLTHB View Post
    Update on this.

Catered for 8 people last night.
    Mains menu, their choice - Thick cut Lamb Loin Chops, Thick cut Lamb Shoulder Chops, Boerewors.

Ordered 25mm thick loin chops and 20mm thick shoulder chops.
    Thick chilli and cheese wors and 2 rolls of thin wors - springbuck and beef "bors vet" and a sosatie wors, also with "bors vet" - no "spek vet" allowed.
    But "bors vet" flares up a hell of a lot. Really makes a lot of smoke and flames.

Usually all this is a bit of a mare to cook on demand and under time pressure and you have to attend to it all the time, flare ups etc.
    Actually a mission to braai such fatty foods, but awesome taste.

Now on a personal braai when you have time, this is all cool and you drink beer and gaan aan and get dronk and eet lekker.
    No rush at all, must be low n slow.

But this catering is business and we offer a Mountain Meal experience and are under time and resources pressure.
    Set up on a local farm in the mountains, white linen service, crystal glasses

2 problems here:

1 - the wind can suddenly pick up and blow you out, happened last night just after starters.
    2 - cooking and braaing that lamb and wors, cook has to attend to the fire continually and cannot leave the fire to pour guests drinks etc.

Solution for us:

We put the meat in double plastic packets and into Sous Vide bath for 2.5 hours at 48 Deg C.

Now you got your guests meals 95% cooked before you light the fire.
    Light fire, mingle and kuier with group and judge when they want to eat.

See the look of panic when you take out all this "raw" meat and everyone still thinks food is an hour away.

Hot coals and 5 minutes is all it takes. Perfectly cooked on the braai flavour, grill scorch marks, all you need.

When the wind hit last night, packed up in a hurry, raced to alternate venue, lit fire - only needs to be small, make coals.

10 mins later meat goes on and is cooked in 5 minutes.

Just so simple, so easy, so convenient.

All the apps you need online with temp etc. YouTube is littered with movies on sous vide.

Ordering 2 more units this week. Works for us.

Cheers and good luck with it.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2019/09/14 at 04:10 PM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Thanks for this good info!
    Certainly makes sense for catering.

Swambo likes her meat cooked with no red juice and preferably not too pink.
    Is it worthwhile using sous vide for her well done chops steaks etc?

Using the cylinder units I presume there is a fair amount of evaporation when cooking for long periods. I know one can use Gladwrap/towels etc but I have heard of cylinders failing due to condensation on them. Any ideas?

We only use plastic wrap for +12 hours - so roast beef, brisket. Ping pong balls also work.

I'd say it's worth using the sous vide for cooking well done - as it will be much more tender than other methods.

I don't like chicken breast because it tends to be dry.
    Sous vide chicken breast yesterday with some lemon pepper and sweet chilli sauce. 1.5 hours at 64deg. Then quick on the fire after the boerewors came off. It was the best ever. So juicy and tasty.
    Choose life

Thank you for introducing me to this. Very interested, want to give it a bash.

Question: how do you know how long and at what temperature to cook a cut of meat to have it medium-rare?

I love the idea of pre-cooking this way for trips into Botswana and thereby being able to take the meat cross-border.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post

Question: how do you know how long and at what temperature to cook a cut of meat to have it medium-rare?

I love the idea of pre-cooking this way for trips into Botswana and thereby being able to take the meat cross-border.

Some excellent guides on the web, for example:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/...l-recipes.html

you can cook, for example, to rare- by the time it’s seared on the outside on the braai it will be warm all the way thru and juicy. Just go thick but not ridiculously so as it will be hard to reheat without over cooking the outside.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2019/09/14 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post

Med rare steak is 54deg. 1 hour or 10 hours does not matter. It will be med rare. Temperature gives the doneness not time. Time gives the tenderness.
    Choose life

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/...ide-steak.html

Mmmm, if you check this link out you will see that just leaving it in for 10 hours will certainly have an effect on the final product.

Certainly wont be cooked more than the exact doneness controlled by temp, but the meat does break down if left to long.

Max the steak should be left in is 4 hours on heat.

So leave a window when planning:

Estimated time to eat - 20h00

Maybe they hungry earlier - so plan for eating at 19h30

Steak in Sous Vide at 17h30 and must come out at 21h30 at latest.

Can be left to cool down and cooked at 23h30 no problem, just cant lie in the hot water to long as the proteins change.

That link above is almost like the Golden Rules of sous vide a steak. Lots of pics, lots of tips, very interesting and so easy to follow, which is good for me.

Cheers.
    Karooview Cottages
    Prince Albert
    www.karooview.co.za

4x4 and Caravan Friendly
    Outdoor plug points

The experimenting continues.

We tried Sous Vide Eisbein this weekend.

Salt, pepper, onion rings all in the bag.

80 deg C for 10 hrs.
    Made glaze sauce with the sauces in the bag, reduced with a bit of Lyle's Golden Syrup - reduce and paint on Eisbein.
    Brown under the grill.

The taste, texture and tenderness was amazing!

I don't think I have had a better Eisbein, ever.

Name:  2019_09_12 Sous Vide Eisbein.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  186.3 KB
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    The experimenting continues.

We tried Sous Vide Eisbein this weekend.

Salt, pepper, onion rings all in the bag.

80 deg C for 10 hrs.
    Made glaze sauce with the sauces in the bag, reduced with a bit of Lyle's Golden Syrup - reduce and paint on Eisbein.
    Brown under the grill.

The taste, texture and tenderness was amazing!

I don't think I have had a better Eisbein, ever.

Name:  2019_09_12 Sous Vide Eisbein.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  186.3 KB
    That is great. I would have done it at a lower temperature but for longer
    Choose life

Quote Originally Posted by Coenoes View Post
    I found such recipes (up to 48 hrs ), but chose this one, and it worked a treat.
    It is the highest temp recipe I have seen yet.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi

Care to explain why? We had our time constraints, so went for higher temperature, shorter time. Wouldn't do it any other way, unless for a good reason, which you might have? Always an opportunity to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by rikavs View Post
    Care to explain why? We had our time constraints, so went for higher temperature, shorter time. Wouldn't do it any other way, unless for a good reason, which you might have? Always an opportunity to learn.
    PS rikavs is my "sussie"

We experiment together.

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi

If you have time constraints it is also great. Pork is cooked at 72deg. Higher temp will expel more juice out of the meat. So lower temperature will be more juicy but will take longer to be tender.
    Choose life

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

If you have time constraints it is also great. Pork is cooked at 72deg. Higher temp will expel more juice out of the meat. So lower temperature will be more juicy but will take longer to be tender.
    There are merits to cooking meats to higher temp. I, for one, cook my super-tender meats to 93°C internal temperature.

Must mention that we cooked the eisbeins from frozen as well. Remarkably little juices cooked out, which type of impressed me, because of the "frozen" fact. I had just enough juices to add the syrup, reduced it slightly to just start thicken, then used for basting and gravy. The cooled down gravy set like concentrated gelatine, so no real juices left. Was really impressed.

Where and for how much can one buy a sous vide machine for home use? Do you need a vacuum machine as well?

Quote Originally Posted by handyman View Post
    Where and for how much can one buy a sous vide machine for home use? Do you need a vacuum machine as well?
    You can buy one from Takealot. You might find something a little more expensive on other websites like Yuppychef and even Bidorbuy. Best will be to search on Pricecheck ant take it from there. They start at R1600.00 for lesser known ones and then upwards, depending on what you want. We have the Taurus from Takealot. (Currently R1999.00) You don't need a vacuum pack machine, but yes, it's much better with one. Only problem is that the embossed bags on a roll is terribly expensive to use and the smallest industrial type machine is very expensive. You will need to shop around and start with a little and work your way up.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to rikavs For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast