T4A Navigator vs Paper vs GPS

Default T4A Navigator vs Paper vs GPS

Can anyone recommend the best way to see details on T4A maps? The T4A Navigator app sounds like it should do what I want, but I haven't been able to find much detail on how it works. What I mainly want to be able to do is study maps to see what the best route is, where there might be deep sand and other details that would affect my choice of route.

I bought the T4A self-drive guides to Botswana and Namibia, which include an atlas section. The guides are great but I was disappointed by the atlas. They don't have the detail that I was expecting. It seems that instead of spreading the A3 pages of their atlas maps over two A4 pages, they shrunk each A3 page down to A4, losing detail. A lot of the travel times between points are not marked, which is one of the most important details, in my opinion.

I don't have a Garmin GPS and don't intend to buy one just for this trip. I'm renting a vehicle from Bushlore for the trip and have asked them for a SatNav with T4A maps. They will be giving me a Nuvi, which I believe doesn't show some of the finer detail.

Can anyone tell me the best way to view and study the maps in detail? If I buy the full size paper maps or full size atlas, will they just be a larger version of what I already have in the guide books, with the same amount of detail? If I buy the Navigator app, will I be able to zoom in on the maps to study them in detail (I can use the guide books for a wider overview, if necessary).

Thanks in advance,
    Tim.

Default Re: T4A Navigator vs Paper vs GPS

If you have a memory card with T4A, it will work fine on the Nuvi. Admitting that you might have to zoom in a bit to see detail. However, most of the planning usually happens beforehand with navigation mostly on the unit itself. So the Nuvi linked to a paper map will be a great option. I have only heard good things about the T4A paper maps.

Thanks for the reply.

I should have specified that I don't have T4A maps on an SD card. I will be renting this from Bushlore along with the Nuvi.

I'm looking for the best way to see all the detail on the T4A maps while I'm planning here at home. I'll be happy with the paper maps if they have all the detail that one can see when zooming in on the likes of a Garmin 276cx. In fact, I'd be happier with paper maps because they add redundancy in case of an electronics failure.

Is there anyone who knows what detail is on the paper maps compared to the digital maps? Or even if the atlas pages in the guide books contain the same detail as the larger paper maps?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tadhgocuilleain View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I should have specified that I don't have T4A maps on an SD card. I will be renting this from Bushlore along with the Nuvi.

I'm looking for the best way to see all the detail on the T4A maps while I'm planning here at home. I'll be happy with the paper maps if they have all the detail that one can see when zooming in on the likes of a Garmin 276cx. In fact, I'd be happier with paper maps because they add redundancy in case of an electronics failure.

Is there anyone who knows what detail is on the paper maps compared to the digital maps? Or even if the atlas pages in the guide books contain the same detail as the larger paper maps?

Thanks
    You only need a Nuvi with the relevant T4A maps on the nuvi. Al the detail is there, then just buy a normal road map to get a wider perspective/wider overview of the area
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/08/07 at 12:39 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

I like to use tha paper map to plan the trip. Then use the GPS to plot the trip.

The Annie will lead me. Usually I don't have a navigator.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

I just love using my T4A paper maps and letting Swambo navigte. We end up at all sorts of interesting places but always get to our destination.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Can anyone recommend the best way to see details on T4A maps? The T4A Navigator app sounds like it should do what I want, but I haven't been able to find much detail on how it works. What I mainly want to be able to do is study maps to see what the best route is, where there might be deep sand and other details that would affect my choice of route.

I bought the T4A self-drive guides to Botswana and Namibia, which include an atlas section. The guides are great but I was disappointed by the atlas. They don't have the detail that I was expecting. It seems that instead of spreading the A3 pages of their atlas maps over two A4 pages, they shrunk each A3 page down to A4, losing detail. A lot of the travel times between points are not marked, which is one of the most important details, in my opinion.

I don't have a Garmin GPS and don't intend to buy one just for this trip. I'm renting a vehicle from Bushlore for the trip and have asked them for a SatNav with T4A maps. They will be giving me a Nuvi, which I believe doesn't show some of the finer detail.

Can anyone tell me the best way to view and study the maps in detail? If I buy the full size paper maps or full size atlas, will they just be a larger version of what I already have in the guide books, with the same amount of detail? If I buy the Navigator app, will I be able to zoom in on the maps to study them in detail (I can use the guide books for a wider overview, if necessary).

Thanks in advance,
    Tim.
    My answer is to purchase the downloadable mapsets and plan your route on a pc - this in my mind has the most amount of detail and one can view this area and route on Google earth for a different perspective. I plan my route using the T4A mapset and mapsource softaware on my tablet PC which has an incredible amount of info - I use the tablet as my my " Atlas" whilst travelling
    Mapsource or basecamp is free software from Garmin and the downloadable Mapsets of Botswana and namibai is R200 each which does not expire . You then plan a route and store this route on a memory card compatible with the Nuvi. https://shop.tracks4africa.co.za/pro...-map-download/

I have the T4 Nav app for Iphone and dislike it intensely , currently i use a Garmin GPS with t4 maps and routes loaded and use a Ipad Mini with the T4 Guide app on it which shows your position, BUT does not show distances and one cannot plan routes on here- it also lack detail that the downloadable maps have.
    Putta
    Landcruiser 105
    BL Miskruier B850

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to putta For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by putta View Post
    My answer is to purchase the downloadable mapsets and plan your route on a pc - this in my mind has the most amount of detail and one can view this area and route on Google earth for a different perspective. I plan my route using the T4A mapset and mapsource softaware on my tablet PC which has an incredible amount of info - I use the tablet as my my " Atlas" whilst travelling
    Mapsource or basecamp is free software from Garmin and the downloadable Mapsets of Botswana and namibai is R200 each which does not expire . You then plan a route and store this route on a memory card compatible with the Nuvi. https://shop.tracks4africa.co.za/pro...-map-download/

I have the T4 Nav app for Iphone and dislike it intensely , currently i use a Garmin GPS with t4 maps and routes loaded and use a Ipad Mini with the T4 Guide app on it which shows your position, BUT does not show distances and one cannot plan routes on here- it also lack detail that the downloadable maps have.
    Thanks! This is exactly the answer I was looking for.
    I know you don't like the T4A Nav app but in terms of detail, how do the maps on it compare to the downloadable maps?
    Last edited by tadhgocuilleain; 2019/08/07 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks for all the answers.

Thanks! This is exactly the answer I was looking for.
    I know you don't like the T4A Nav app but in terms of detail, how do the maps on it compare to the downloadable maps?
    in my opinion , I find the app very clunky and frustrating, one cant really compare the level of detail as app is restricted in how much memory it can use to operate on a smartphone or tablet , hence the downloadable maps have far greater detail - example the level of detail like ablution blocks , camp sites, view points are not shown on the nav app , but in the pc maps one sees that level of detail from 1km scale down to 20m .
    Putta
    Landcruiser 105
    BL Miskruier B850

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to putta For This Useful Post:

I am never without paper maps to augment the GPS with T4A.

The excellent T4A paper maps give route distances and timing - I have Botswana and Namibia to provide the big picture.

There is free navigation software available for Android and iPhones and tablets designed for main routes but sometimes has surprisingly good detail on offroad/camp sites etc.

Osmand and Maps ME are two.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

A little bit off topic, but in addition to T4A's iphone app (which is just OK), I also use Garmin's InReach Messenger linked with their map product. The advantage with it is that it is also a satellite based 2 way messenger. Comes with unlimited map downloads globally. The maps to not have the detail of T4A (even the app version) but they do have all the tiniest little dirt 2 track paths. I used it on a recent trip to CKGR - all the campsites were noted there as well as all the roads. It's not turn-by-turn navigation capable, but thats not really necessary off-road.

The + of it is you are never out of touch. Depends totally on where you are going and whether that's a benefit.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Thanks for posting!

Do you have a monthly subscription - cost?

Some of us have older GPS - I presume compatibility could be an issue?

I see it it using the Iridium network which is the one I use on the Satphone which also has an email facility. I was warned that messages are slow - take a long time to arrive.

What has been your experience with Garmin's InReach Messenger?
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2019/08/09 at 08:57 AM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    I am never without paper maps to augment the GPS with T4A.

The excellent T4A paper maps give route distances and timing - I have Botswana and Namibia to provide the big picture.

There is free navigation software available for Android and iPhones and tablets designed for main routes but sometimes has surprisingly good detail on offroad/camp sites etc.

Osmand and Maps ME are two.
    I wouldn't solely rely on electronic maps either. I'll have my guide books with me, which include the paper maps, although some of the finer detail seems to be missing. I think they have enough detail to use as a backup, though.

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    A little bit off topic, but in addition to T4A's iphone app (which is just OK), I also use Garmin's InReach Messenger linked with their map product. The advantage with it is that it is also a satellite based 2 way messenger. Comes with unlimited map downloads globally. The maps to not have the detail of T4A (even the app version) but they do have all the tiniest little dirt 2 track paths. I used it on a recent trip to CKGR - all the campsites were noted there as well as all the roads. It's not turn-by-turn navigation capable, but thats not really necessary off-road.

The + of it is you are never out of touch. Depends totally on where you are going and whether that's a benefit.
    I have the older InReach which was made by Delorme before Garmin bought them out. There's no map detail at all on my version, only a screen that shows a breadcrumb trail on a white background (a bit pointless). I didn't think about using its app as a navigation backup. Thanks for that.

Thanks for posting!

I see it it using the Iridium network which is the one I use on the Satphone which also has an email facility. I was warned that messages are slow - take a long time to arrive.

I use it for safety when I'm riding my motorbike in places with no phone reception. I also use it to let my wife know when I've stopped safely for the night.

There are various subscription pacakages. The better the package, the more messages and tracking data you can send for free. I'm paying €30 a month for mine. That gives me unlimited tracking and 20 free messages (or something like that, I don't message with it unless I've no phone reception so I can't remember exactly how many free messages I have). Messages can be a bit slow to send and receive, so a conversation can be a bit cumbersome. I used mine in Morrocco to keep contact with my wife. We'd chat a few times a day but the conversation can't flow as naturally as it will on a phone.

I read here on the forum that there's an issue with messages from South African phones being delivered to the InReach, so it would be worth researching that if you're considering buying one.

The InReach device has its own inbuilt GPS.

It has an SOS button for emergencies which alerts a call centre but there is one thing to to be aware of: If you ever have to use the SOS function, don't expect them to send out helicopters and teams of people in 4x4s to help you, which is what some people expect.

Last year, my brother got stuck on the Chobe cut line. He had rented a 4wd Fortuner but didn't realise until he got stuck that they actually gave him a 2wd.

Anyway, hours after pressing the SOS button, nothing was happening. They said they were sending the army from Kasane.
    I think the problem is that it's coordinated from a base in USA and the people there have no idea how vast and remote some parts of Africa are.

Luckily, my brother was able to use the InReach to send messages to me (this is why I think it's far better than a Spot). I coordinated the rescue from Ireland by googling Safari camps in the area and finding someone willing to send out a 4x4 to pull them out.

It's still a running joke in the family if someone is waiting for someone to help them we say "Ah, we're sending the army from Kasane"
    Last edited by tadhgocuilleain; 2019/08/09 at 09:56 AM. Reason: More detail

18. The Following User Says Thank You to tadhgocuilleain For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the good info!

And a great story.

I must remember to ask them not to send the SA Army!

Thanks for posting!

There is a pay-as-you-go basic one and a monthly one, with different levels of included messages. I have a monthly cost - believe it is around $25, and includes 25 messages.

in my experience message transmission is fast. Youíll have 2-3 minute turnaround time as long as the unit can see the sky.

its not like a phone of course but I think it is much cheaper.

also has a push-button SOS capability and is monitored by a 24/7 rescue coordination center...