Etosha Roads cause havoc - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Etosha Roads cause havoc

Quote Originally Posted by Mafasa View Post
    A welder will nowadays charge you a 1000 bucks an hour,
    Thats a ridiculous charge out rate for a normal welding job. A standard welder rate is or should not be more than R 550.00/hour.
    On all other charges I have to agree with you. The arduous travelling to the job and the excessive wear & tear on ones own vehicle can easily justify the higher charge out rate.
    It always amazes me that people just jump into a vehicle and expect it to perform in all types of terrain whilst not bothering to learn even the basics of vehicle maintenance.Failing to plan is planning to fail.
    R550 may be a welder price in a engineering/fabricataction shop that they charge out, but very few actuall welders earn that type of money

Quote Originally Posted by Mafasa View Post
    A welder will nowadays charge you a 1000 bucks an hour, &amp;lt;br&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>
    Thats a ridiculous charge out rate for a normal welding job. A standard welder rate is or should not be more than R 550.00/hour.&amp;lt;br&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>
    On all other charges I have to agree with you. The arduous travelling to the job and the excessive wear &amp;amp;amp; tear on ones own vehicle can easily justify the higher charge out rate.&amp;lt;br&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>
    It always amazes me that people just jump into a vehicle and expect it to perform in all types of terrain whilst not bothering to learn even the basics of vehicle maintenance.Failing to plan is planning to fail.
    &amp;lt;br&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>
    &amp;lt;br&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>
    What amazes me is the assumption that I "jumped into my vehicle" without taking all precautions I could, I fitted new brake pads all over and while doing it checked for play on wheel bearings front and rear. I fitted a new fan belt - the other one was 7 months old, I greased every part that needed grease. In December I had the car checked thoroughly for any abnormal wear and tear all over. I serviced the car just before the journey although it had only travel 4000 km since full service and checkup by the garage in December I also fitted new bearings to tensioners. Now what bugs me should I remove wheel bearings every time a trip awaits or what is procedure? As far as I'm concerned all things mechanical old or new can fail without warning some may be destroyed or sped up by very bad roads. But after all said and done I've paid my dues and had paid a chunk of money for a quickie. I have traveled Africa extensively and believe me I do know how to expect the unexpected

Thumbs down Re: Etosha Roads cause havoc

Just returned from Etosha,Halali, Okakuejo to Galton gate. Main problem is What Vector‚Äč said. Rental bakkies are the conspicuous vehicles that ,on my visit, normally drive at between 80-100km/h, and without deflated tyres. I got them pass me at numerous lion,cheetah, badger( and a caracal) sightings without attempting to reduce speed or to stop. Maybe they don't allow enough time in their schedule for game viewing. I got the conclusion they just travel from camp to camp and hope to spot something Just for info, they are busy with that road. A small section (past Sonderkop)have compacted, and is ok. The last 80km to Olifantsrus from Okakuejo is bad, especially if you start to hit the reddish sand. The corrugation seems to be worse then. I wondered about the damage to my vehicle, but amazingly saw a lot of sedan vehicles (renault duster) on that particular roads.
    Toyota Prado 150 TX 2012
    Conqueror Comfort

Wow, you got a bargain!!! It is standard practice to also charge you for the mechanic's time for the travelling (if he is travelling, he is not in the workshop generating an income for the owner). So thank your lucky stars that these guys were so nice to you!!!! By the way, don't blame the bad road for the bearing. If that bearing went, then it would have gone whether the road was bad or good, just maybe the bad road could have advanced the final failure by a teeny bit? C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C Africa For This Useful Post:

Here in Oz, for outback travel, most of us carry a spare set of wheel bearings along with belts and hoses. They dont take up much space.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tickford49 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vidalbum View Post
    R550 may be a welder price in a engineering/fabricataction shop that they charge out, but very few actuall welders earn that type of money
    Get a qualified aircract welder to weld aluminium and you would be lucky to pay R1000/h
    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

DJR

Quote Originally Posted by Innie bos View Post
    During my recent tour to Namibia (Tubatsane Tours) we came onto some of the worst roads in Namibia from Okaukueju to Olifantsrus.
    One of my clients Land Cruiser Amason front left wheel bearing collapsed. We managed to get some help from Otjiwarongo.
    I know people need to make a living and we much appreciate their willingness to help but... To say everything comes at a price is true.
    It cost my client approximately R9200.00 for the travelling (600km [email protected] Otjiwarongo and back), (Labour 1.30 [email protected]) and the Outer bearing. Luckily the inner bearing was still fine as the mechanic came with the wrong inner bearing and wanted to charge my client for it.
    The park also charged them for the night at R350pppn staying at the picnic site as the camp was fully booked.

If you guys think its a fair price please convince me as am still want to find the people that is willing to help at a reasonable price.

From my understanding the roads are being graded now, why wait till there is an outcry from all over.
    I was there at the same time. I can confirm the roads were really bad. Another tourist had problems with their rear suspension on an ordinary sedan. In 30 years (the last time I visited Etosha and at that time I was driving a 200 Merc :-) and not my current Jeep Grand Cherokee. I cant recall the roads being bad. One wold expect within 30 years, that the main roads used by tourist buses in Etosha would have been tarred by now. :-(
    As far as repairs are concerned these costs seemed high but the distances traveled were also high. Your client could have looked for an alternative option such as the garage in Outjo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2