What roads in Souther KNP?

Default What roads in Souther KNP?

Hi

We will be going to KNP in a few days and will be staying at Marloth and entering at Crocodile bridge every day.

1.What would be the better roads to take for game viewing? We can enter at 6 and leave at 6 but will mainly do only the South of the KNP. The boys will travel with so it won't be a 6 - 6 type of drive. Will break when we get to camps/restaurants/sites etc.
    2. Any specific sites to visit that would be interesting?
    3. Are those latest sighting apps any good? I have heard that people dislike it because then the people that see it on the app race to the sighting.

This will only be my second time in the KNP so I am still very unfamiliar with the roads etc. The first time was about 3 years ago. I have already pre-booked the day visits so I have at least secured entrance (and no major queuing).

Advice will be appreciated!
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Default Re: What roads in Souther KNP?

Coming in from croc bridge gives you a number of options:

1: go North on the tar past Lower sabie and up to Skukuza, come down the same way. One of the most productive roads in the whole park

2: go left and follow the river towards Malelane, work your way back via Biyamati loop

3: explore the dirt roads within the Croc bridge, Skukuza, Malelane triangle.

4: the H 10 .... H4-1 .... H1-2 triangle

All good options with ample viewing opportunities.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

How many days? There are enough roads so that you wont be bored even over 5 days.

The H4-1 is claimed to be THE route in Kruger and you can travel that a number of times. But then, it also is THE road for tourist over crowding.
    Onder sabi/skukuza/tshokwane is a nice circular route and doable in a day, with enouch stop-overs (H4-2/H4-1/H1-2/H10/H4-2)
    Whilst stopping at Skukuza, go to Lake Panic. It will make your day

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    How many days? y
    Thank. Will be there for 3 days with the option of a morning drive on Sunday as well.
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

I am looking at a map and saw Jock of the Bushveld. As a kid I loved this and named my Jack Russels Jock. Is it worthwhile to drive the S25 next to the Crocodile River and then head up the H3 to view the sites there or rather the more South Eastern side?
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

One of the recommended drives

Drive 4
    From Crocodile Bridge on the H4-2 take the S25 (Crocodile River Road) left, which passes a turn off to the Hippo Pools view point and Bushman Paintings (S27). Turn right on the S108 and right again on the H5 where you will find waterholes on either side. On reaching the H4-2, turn right again and the take the first left onto the S130 (Gomondwane Loop), which you can follow up till the right turn onto the S137 and left onto the S28 that takes you to the Nthandanyathi Hide (to the right). From the hide, you can either take the S28 south, back to Crocodile Bridge, or north to the H4-2, which connects to Lower Sabie.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

Drive 4
    From Crocodile Bridge on the H4-2 take the S25 (Crocodile River Road) left, which passes a turn off to the Hippo Pools view point and Bushman Paintings (S27). Turn right on the S108 and right again on the H5 where you will find waterholes on either side. On reaching the H4-2, turn right again and the take the first left onto the S130 (Gomondwane Loop), which you can follow up till the right turn onto the S137 and left onto the S28 that takes you to the Nthandanyathi Hide (to the right). From the hide, you can either take the S28 south, back to Crocodile Bridge, or north to the H4-2, which connects to Lower Sabie.
    This sounds like a nice option for a shorter day! Perhaps Sunday.
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew123 View Post
    Hi

We will be going to KNP in a few days and will be staying at Marloth and entering at Crocodile bridge every day.

1.What would be the better roads to take for game viewing? We can enter at 6 and leave at 6 but will mainly do only the South of the KNP. The boys will travel with so it won't be a 6 - 6 type of drive. Will break when we get to camps/restaurants/sites etc.
    2. Any specific sites to visit that would be interesting?
    3. Are those latest sighting apps any good? I have heard that people dislike it because then the people that see it on the app race to the sighting.

This will only be my second time in the KNP so I am still very unfamiliar with the roads etc. The first time was about 3 years ago. I have already pre-booked the day visits so I have at least secured entrance (and no major queuing).

Advice will be appreciated!
    Roads that are dirt the Southern Yuppies dont like getting their SUV's dirty ..Seriously over crowded ,..You should try the north next time ..But the S25 along the Crocodile River and S114 probably best but get in at Gate opening

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Thank. Will be there for 3 days with the option of a morning drive on Sunday as well.
    So little time, so many routes Enjoy
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2019/08/06 at 07:50 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Coming in from croc bridge gives you a number of options:

1: go North on the tar past Lower sabie and up to Skukuza, come down the same way. One of the most productive roads in the whole park

3: explore the dirt roads within the Croc bridge, Skukuza, Malelane triangle.

4: the H 10 .... H4-1 .... H1-2 triangle
    Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post

The H4-1 is claimed to be THE route in Kruger and you can travel that a number of times.
    Onder sabi/skukuza/tshokwane is a nice circular route and doable in a day, with enouch stop-overs (H4-2/H4-1/H1-2/H10/H4-2)
    Whilst stopping at Skukuza, go to Lake Panic. It will make your day

Drive 4
    Roughly how long would these routes take? I can think that it would depend on sightings and traffic but just an estimate. I have the routes kinda planned out but I am not sure if the route will take us that long. I see the S28 is about 28km. The S25 is about 55km.

I am not sure how long the H4-2,H4-1, H10 triangle is.
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Take your kilometres and times by 20 KMH, this will give you a rough estimate. Tar roads you can travel at 50KMH but you will see nothing.

Just now we had a Leopard sighting, sat for 45 mins, the time goes much quicker than you think.

One thing I can say, this whole sightings app thing can be a total mess. A Leopard was spotted and reported (according to one person we stopped and chatted to) and when we arrived there were cars parked all over the place looking at an Impala in a tree. The Leopard was long gone and had not been seen for hours.

Take your time, look in trees, behind trees and if some one shouts stop, take a closer look.

BMW R1200R

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Hi, You already have lots of tips for the roads.

Some lessons learned from us;

• In the month when you are going it is dry season, so it is worthwhile to stay some moments at water holes as all animals will need to go there, and the predators know that.
    • Check the marking plates at the reception and when you hear that there is a kill somewhere it is always good to check that, this as it takes some time before they finish a Buffalo.
    • Try to go very early and return as late as possible, in the morning and evening you will have the biggest change on spotting some predator actions. (Also love the African sunrises and sunsets)
    • The Cheetah is an exception as they normally hunt during the day.
    • When you see giraffes constantly as a group watching in one direction, try to find what they are focussing on, as often it is predators.
    • Same for impala's and when they start barking they confirm the danger.
    • Constantly barking baboons it is also a trigger to check what is happening.
    • Birds in panic is good to check out, often found snakes hunting them.

Hopes this helps to make your visit more enjoyable.

Cant wait myself as I will return there in the month September

Enjoy it!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jpseekles For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the info!

We only went up as far as Skukuza once.

We mostly did the roads between the Crocodile Bridge and just past Lower Sabie.

Got to see the big 5 (and a lot of other awesome animals) and a highlight was where a pride of lions cornered a Leopard. The Leopard got a way seemingly unharmed but that was amazing to see.

Will definitely be back!!
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Thanks for all the info!

We only went up as far as Skukuza once.

We mostly did the roads between the Crocodile Bridge and just past Lower Sabie.

Got to see the big 5 (and a lot of other awesome animals) and a highlight was where a pride of lions cornered a Leopard. The Leopard got a way seemingly unharmed but that was amazing to see.

Will definitely be back!!
    Are you referring to this one.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTWNOMvJy0s

Indeed, amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by jpseekles View Post
    Are you referring to this one.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTWNOMvJy0s

Indeed, amazing!
    That is the one yes!
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4