Vic Falls to Caprivi Suggestions

Default Vic Falls to Caprivi Suggestions

I'm still working through the itinerary for our trip in October and November this year. We're planning on visiting Victoria Falls on the morning of the 2nd of November (just a quick stop to tick the box). We want to head to the Caprivi/Zambezi area from there and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the best route?

We could cut through Botswana, or cross into Zambia and go around to Katima Mulilo. Does anyone have any suggestions/comments?

Thanks in advance,
    Tim.

Default Re: Vic Falls to Caprivi Suggestions

Through Botswana to Katima. Border crossing is cheaper than into Zambia, and the Zambia side road from Kazangulu to Katima is horrible; broken surface, extreme potholes.
    '89 LR 110 V8

Definitely through Botswana. Road from Vic Falls to Kazungula/Kasane is good tar through the Zambezi National Park and Matetsi Safari Area (no fees payable) - just watch out for elephants and warthogs on the road. You can then either take the very good tar road through Chobe (no fees, look out for sable antelope en route) to Ngoma Bridge and into Namibia, or if you want to make a bit of a trip of it, which is what I would do, overnight in Kasane, do a boat drive on the river in the morning, then take a slow drive through Chobe National Park along the riverfront for some superb game viewing with literally hundreds, if not thousands of elephants. You can then overnight at Muchenje and cross into Namibia and the Caprivi the next day.
    Ideally, try and get a booking at Ihaha campsite on the Chobe waterfront and spend at least one night there, if not longer, before moving to Namibia.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Ditto the above. Much nicer drive through Botswana, and the border posts are small and quick.

Fuel shortages have started again in Zim. Long queues in Harare. I received this feedback today.

N.B. Watch the speed limit in Botswana.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Unanimous decision for Botswana.
    I'll sit down, look at maps etc and look at the suggestions above in detail.

Thanks again.

We just got back. Stayed at Victoria Falls Backpackers (great), thru the Kazungula border, thru Kasane to the Ngoma gate, to Katima Mulilo and then west to Etosha. Super easy and quick border crossings. Roads were great. Lots of wildlife on the Botswana stretch. We were pretty shocked at the poverty in the Caprivi strip - way worse than Bots/Zim but the roads are good.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimbaleee For This Useful Post: