Kruger by Motor home. - Page 2





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,470
    Thanked: 761

    Default Re: Kruger by Motor home.

    Help a Newby camper with light etiquette!

    I am sitting here by my fire but can't see one flame because a camper 50 meters from me has led lights on that shine right past me into the bush.

    I can't see the stars or my fire.

    He is eating inside his caravan and left these lights on that makes it day light.

    Highly irritated.

    So what is etiquette?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190829_195737.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	257.1 KB 
ID:	539066   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190829_204728.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	335.1 KB 
ID:	539067  
    Last edited by Mal Hannes; 2019/08/30 at 09:00 PM.
    Dash Fibre: Doing internet differently, drawing customers with best price, keeping customers with best service.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:


  3. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    port elizabeth
    Age
    43
    Posts
    72
    Thanked: 41

    Default Re: Kruger by Motor home.

    Shoot them out with your slingshot.
    Or walk past his power box and switch off his power.
    FYI non of these remedies will make you popular!

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to aidan zimmerman For This Useful Post:


  5. #23
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,470
    Thanked: 761

    Default Re: Kruger by Motor home.

    OK so now he has gone to sleep with this light on.

    Now my wife and I are fighting and all she says is "bedaar man bedaar'.

    It's not helping!

    I flashed them a few times with my phone flash.

    They came out looked around and went back in.

    I am considering your power tripped idea.
    Dash Fibre: Doing internet differently, drawing customers with best price, keeping customers with best service.

  6. #24
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    58
    Posts
    619
    Thanked: 626

    Default Re: Kruger by Motor home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    OK so now he has gone to sleep with this light on.

    Now my wife and I are fighting and all she says is "bedaar man bedaar'.

    It's not helping!

    I flashed them a few times with my phone flash.

    They came out looked around and went back in.

    I am considering your power tripped idea.
    You cant just walk over to him and ask him to turn it off?
    DGO Fiddler

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:


  8. #25
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,470
    Thanked: 761

    Default Re: Kruger by Motor home.

    Yes I could have but was not in the mood for confrontation.

    I was just trying to first get a feel for what is etiquette of campers before I speak to them. Especially because they went inside and settled and me just walking up to a strangers caravan and ask them to switch off lights would be difficult.

    I decided to go to bed and not sit outside or cause drama.
    Dash Fibre: Doing internet differently, drawing customers with best price, keeping customers with best service.

  9. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rangeview Krugersdorp
    Age
    70
    Posts
    6,127
    Thanked: 1022

    Default Re: Kruger by Motor home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    Yes I could have but was not in the mood for confrontation.

    I was just trying to first get a feel for what is etiquette of campers before I speak to them. Especially because they went inside and settled and me just walking up to a strangers caravan and ask them to switch off lights would be difficult.

    I decided to go to bed and not sit outside or cause drama.
    Had that problem many times, just ask him to switch off. Unwritten rules are lights are only to shine inward whilst cooking/eating and then go off.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !



    Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:


  11. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    68
    Posts
    831
    Thanked: 419

    Default Re: Kruger by Motor home.

    Just tell him to switch them off ..Shingwedzi is not Gold Reef City or Warmbad. The Light abuser is probably also known as a person who upon arriving and setting up puts powdered Ant poison all around his site and has a blue light insect zapper in a Game Reserve nogal
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2019/08/30 at 07:14 AM.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:


  13. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    68
    Posts
    831
    Thanked: 419

    Default Re: Kruger by Motor home.

    This is our lighting set up at Shingwedzi.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camp Life 2.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	352.6 KB 
ID:	538967 nothing too intrusive. They all get switched off after supper ..only head torches when needed
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2019/08/30 at 07:05 AM.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:


  15. #29
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    cramond outside Pietermaritzburg
    Age
    68
    Posts
    311
    Thanked: 61

    Default Re: Kruger by Motor home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Hi Richard. We're due to arrive in Shingwedzi on Saturday, late afternoon. Spending 5 nights there. Will you still be there?
    Regards
    Jack
    Hi Jack
    Yes
    Leaving Sunday morning
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

  16. #30
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,470
    Thanked: 761

    Default Re: Kruger by Motor home.

    So we are back home after 5 days 4 nights in our house on the move.

    I thought I will drop a few thoughts on a motorhome as a viable vehicle for a Kruger trip.

    The Iveco surprised us with its power and ease to drive. A really good auto.

    The biggest negative is the motorhome can't do gravel, everything shakes and rattles and you can't do more than 10 km hour.

    Not having to setup camp etc made it low effort.

    I do think we saw less animals due to noise and size of vehicle.

    Making coffee and or breakfast at a waterhole is just luxury.

    The drive back today in head/cross wind was a pain.

    Open road cruising is 90km/hour when there is no wind. 110 is doable but not advisable.

    The big question is would I do it again?

    It's still up in the air.
    Dash Fibre: Doing internet differently, drawing customers with best price, keeping customers with best service.

  17. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,353
    Thanked: 1109

    Default Re: Kruger by Motor home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    So we are back home after 5 days 4 nights in our house on the move.

    I thought I will drop a few thoughts on a motorhome as a viable vehicle for a Kruger trip.

    The Iveco surprised us with its power and ease to drive. A really good auto.

    The biggest negative is the motorhome can't do gravel, everything shakes and rattles and you can't do more than 10 km hour.

    Not having to setup camp etc made it low effort.

    I do think we saw less animals due to noise and size of vehicle.

    Making coffee and or breakfast at a waterhole is just luxury.

    The drive back today in head/cross wind was a pain.

    Open road cruising is 90km/hour when there is no wind. 110 is doable but not advisable.

    The big question is would I do it again?

    It's still up in the air.
    Great - it makes camping a breeze.

    Talking of air - which tyres do you have? The bigger 18"? I drive with the standard 16" Michelin, and airing them down makes gravel roads a breeze. The negative is that they are only rated to 100km/hr, which is not a problem as I try and cruise closer to 90km/hr, and only go over 100km/hr fr short stretches, eg when overtaking fast trucks


  18. #32
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    cramond outside Pietermaritzburg
    Age
    68
    Posts
    311
    Thanked: 61

    Default Re: Kruger by Motor home.

    Approx 30 years ago I had a Autovilla built on a Bedford chassis. Previous owner had replaced 2.3 engine with a Ford 3.0 V6. Power was only 103 kw which is low compared to today's turbo diesels
    Had plenty power but gearing limited cruising to approx 95 kph
    Was great as mentioned in previous post could make breakfast or coffee at waterhole. Could shut door and go while wife packed away dishes, sorted out kids, even showered on the move

    Fast forward 26 years. Acquired a Ford 3.2 4 x 4 auto supercab with blinkgat camper
    Have cruised at 140 kph on long flats in Namibia . Afterwards realised if tyre blow out or sudden swerve would be serious so generally stick to 110 on gps. This results in approx 12 L/100
    Worst was 16 L 100 Ihaha to Maun but at low speeds in 4 x 4. Currently in Kruger getting 8.2 L 100 pottering around

    I am very happy with current setup which is somewhere between camping or RTT and motorhome
    But each to their own. I personally would hate to cruise from Pietermaritzburg to the Kgalagadi at 90 kph
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richarda For This Useful Post:


  20. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,353
    Thanked: 1109

    Default Re: Kruger by Motor home.

    Quote Originally Posted by richarda View Post
    Approx 30 years ago I had a Autovilla built on a Bedford chassis. Previous owner had replaced 2.3 engine with a Ford 3.0 V6. Power was only 103 kw which is low compared to today's turbo diesels
    Had plenty power but gearing limited cruising to approx 95 kph
    Was great as mentioned in previous post could make breakfast or coffee at waterhole. Could shut door and go while wife packed away dishes, sorted out kids, even showered on the move

    Fast forward 26 years. Acquired a Ford 3.2 4 x 4 auto supercab with blinkgat camper
    Have cruised at 140 kph on long flats in Namibia . Afterwards realised if tyre blow out or sudden swerve would be serious so generally stick to 110 on gps. This results in approx 12 L/100
    Worst was 16 L 100 Ihaha to Maun but at low speeds in 4 x 4. Currently in Kruger getting 8.2 L 100 pottering around

    I am very happy with current setup which is somewhere between camping or RTT and motorhome
    But each to their own. I personally would hate to cruise from Pietermaritzburg to the Kgalagadi at 90 kph
    Some stretches are extremely boring at that speed, but it's not too bad. On these stretches we speed up to 100km/hr. But we have changed our traveling style.

    Before we would go hell for leather to our destination, and last leg, not wasting time. eg Pmb to Upington, leaving at 02h00 in the morning, arriving at 17h00, and then another long ery long leg into Namibia etc. Now we are including the trip there and back as part of the experience, breaking it up into shorter segments. We have missed some wonderful local spots when rushing to get out of our borders.


  21. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    69
    Posts
    37
    Thanked: 9

    Cool Re: Kruger by Motor home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    So Mandy and I are not campers. (Sorry I know that is not allowed on this group)

    So I remember wonderful caravaning holidays as a child.

    My uncle then sold this romantic idea to Mandy that we can travel the Kruger by RV or motorhome and it appealed to her.

    No camp setup and in the morning she can sleep in while I throw our chairs in and off we go. I only wake her up when the leopard crosses the road and stops for a photo shoot.

    We have booked in Pretoriuskop (4nights) and berg en Dal(1 night) for later this month and hope to have a lot of fun.

    Booking at Maui was easy and safari.com organized the Kruger bookings.

    I know this romantic simplistic plan has many faults but it is a start and I am so happy to not be in a hotel.

    Tips and comments and even critisms are welcome.

    So if this works I can see a blinkgat 4x4 camper in my future.
    You will not be sorry - Its such a pleasure, stop wherever and cook breakfast - even at a waterhole - Go pee when you want to- have a dos whe its the hottest time of day whilst you wait for the weather to cool down late afternoon overlooking pans or dams or wayer points! Its the BEST!!

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to vanzie For This Useful Post:


  23. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Boksburg
    Age
    59
    Posts
    279
    Thanked: 94

    Default Re: Kruger by Motor home.

    Quote Originally Posted by richarda View Post
    Hi
    I have just arrived at Shingwedzi
    Hi Richard it was nice meeting you and swambo at Shingwedzi with your well equipped Ford and blinkgat camper.
    We were in KNP for 9 nights at Punda, Shingwedzi, Letaba & Bergendal.
    2019 Fortuner 2.4 Auto 4x4
    2006 Jeep 3.7 Limited with 1.5" lift

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •