I bought a hatchet - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: I bought a hatchet

The Scout axe or hatchet was another ''type''. Small for camp craft chores and light wood chopping duty in and around camp. It could be the boys axe referred to
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    This could open a new direction on the thread, but Peter's to blame!

Get yourself one of these.
    Lansky Sharpening System.
    It is not overly complicated, works, and is great to sit next to the fire with:
    Attachment 535692
    When I was a laaitie I showed my dad pics of this from one of the gun magazines and sort of hinted I would like such a set. His words was " om te wat mee? Jy het dan 'n slypsteen?? "

So I didn't ask again. Sharpening stone and leather belt it was, sorry bad luck.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by petermoffat View Post
    There aren't too many, but as far as I know:

Hatchet ±900g, ±300mm
    Small axe ±900-1200g, 450mm
    Boys/limbing axe ±1200g, ±600-700mm
    Felling axe ±2-2500g, ±900mm

Then double bit and splitters and broad hewing and carpenters axes and so forth.

If you aren't doing felling, a boys axe is a brilliant tool. I've hung. a few heads on short handles, around the 700mm range, and find the size and weight to be a pleasure to use.
    Educational, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    The Scout axe or hatchet was another ''type''. Small for camp craft chores and light wood chopping duty in and around camp. It could be the boys axe referred to
    A 'boys axes' (from what I've seen) seems to typically refer to a boys felling axe, so smaller bit, but with a felling pattern and grind. Basically a shrunk down felling axe to suit the smaller people.

A camp axe is a bit smaller than a hatchet, I have a nice little buy that's great for limbing, splitting kindling and some rough carving. Seems to match your description of the scout axe, and would be much easier to carry on a camping/scouting outing.
    Office Johnny

2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petermoffat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Educational, thanks!
    It not a complete list, and I'm not an expert, but that's generally it.

The problem is they're all actually quite useful, so you end up with a small cache of them before you know it, and then once you've used the right tool for the right job, you end up wanting a nice one, and then it's hand forged Swedish choppers all the way down..
    Office Johnny

Something to do for your hatchet or axe.
    Fitted new handles to my axes and made some covers ( found on u-tube) from PVC drainpipe.
    Camouflaged them, so Swambo can't find them, and chase me with them
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190803_160345[1].jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	536037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190803_160230[1].jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	260.3 KB 
ID:	536036
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

The slow process started of getting some sort of edge on the blade.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Whilst you soft buttercup office boys with delicate hands contemplate which axe suits which soft hand, well boys and ladies, here is Africa's man axe. Handle made from a root of a hard African tree and blade from a plough disc....and no its not for sale. This came from Zimbabwe also known as a Demu by the mashona tribe.
    Indeed a demu...

(FYI a badza has the blade at 90 degrees to the shaft, rather than inline)

For many years my father-in-law and I used the services of a truly amazing treecutter, who would get up into some very big pine trees, and fell them, using only their demu. The speed and skill with which these guys worked was incredible. None of the buzz, buzz, buzz of angry bees with the chainsaws of today. A length of that blue polypropylene rope was used to both tie the guys into the tree, and lower the branches and sections down. I mention pine here, which in Zim, can border on a hardwood density, but I've also watched them take down Msasa and Acacias as well. A flat file, some concrete or rock, a brick - all of these were used to sharpen that tool. Sadly I lost contact with Ernest some years ago.

But to go back to the OT, I've been carrying a similar tool around in my ready-use box for years, and the OP has just convicted me to improve on its usefulness by giving it a decent edge and sharpen.
    Ex - 109 SIIA R6 pickup, rebuilt from a kraal find, still thrashing around in the Zim Lowveld.
    1972 88 Safari SW petrol - Mellie
    1995 Disco I 300TDi - Daisy
    Ex - 2003 Face Lift Disco II Td5 auto - d'Arcy. Now living by the sea in KZN.
    2003 Defender 110 Td5 - Bruce
    Ex - 2005 D3 V8. Still in the family in Washington State USA.
    Ex - 2007 Freelander Td4 HSE. Still in the family in Bury St Edmunds, UK

Life is a journey. Have you determined your final parking spot?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveHarris For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Had a choice of these two and being the loser I am, bought the yellow one. The tactical black look doesn't do it for me to be honest and the Lasher one is rather uncomfortable to carry anyway.

So I need to make the hatchet mine and for starters it needs to be edged and sharpened. The rest I will still think about, the handle might get some fresh shark skin wrapped on it for starters. Or not.
    I hve had one of the prototype of the Lasher Axe for 10 years now. It does duty every winter. Yes I have a larger axe to split the logs but when splitting smaller logs and chopping firewood this axe works for me. It works really well and the blade has not budged an inch. I sharpen it on the nearest hard surface - often a brick. The bottom of a coffee cup is a good shout I like that tip.

I have never felt the need to sharpen an axe the way I sharpen my knives. Possibly I am mistaken and so I am open to learning.

2012 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE - Amazingly competent
    2014 Crosspolo 1.2TSI - General runabout
    2011 KTM 990 Adventure - The classic can do bike
    Sadly sold: 2004 Disco 2 V8 - My beach cottage no more
    Finally retired: 2006 Volvo XC70 - Swambo's platkar that could

I have it on good authority that the Cold Steel Khukri I advocate is made by Lasher for Cold Steel
    I was at Lasher head office 2 days ago to collect a batch of 10 Lasher Kukri's. I had been looking for one for a while but none of the retail outlets that sell Lasher products carry the Kukri so we made contact with the head office and did a deal to buy direct from them. While we were there we had a quick look at all the Lasher products displayed in their boardroom. There is the section with all the panga's, cane knives and choppers which include the Kukri all with the Lasher logo stamped into the blade. Next to these are all the products made for Cold Steel by Lasher and they have the Cold Steel logo stamped on the blade which is the only difference to the Lasher products. There are some nice swords including a Samurai type sword that they do for Cold Steel too but unfortunately we couldn't get to buy any of the Cold Steel products. The Kukri costs in the region of R140 each and has a basic but sharp edge on it. The next step is to get the edge to the level that I would like but that will take some time with the oilstone.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    I was at Lasher head office 2 days ago to collect a batch of 10 Lasher Kukri's. I had been looking for one for a while but none of the retail outlets that sell Lasher products carry the Kukri so we made contact with the head office and did a deal to buy direct from them. While we were there we had a quick look at all the Lasher products displayed in their boardroom. There is the section with all the panga's, cane knives and choppers which include the Kukri all with the Lasher logo stamped into the blade. Next to these are all the products made for Cold Steel by Lasher and they have the Cold Steel logo stamped on the blade which is the only difference to the Lasher products. There are some nice swords including a Samurai type sword that they do for Cold Steel too but unfortunately we couldn't get to buy any of the Cold Steel products. The Kukri costs in the region of R140 each and has a basic but sharp edge on it. The next step is to get the edge to the level that I would like but that will take some time with the oilstone.
    Is the lasher kukri made of 2mm plate like the pangas or much thicker like a forged blade?
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Is the lasher kukri made of 2mm plate like the pangas or much thicker like a forged blade?
    I will need to check mine and measure the thickness at the hilt, in the middle by the belly and towards the tip as I think it slightly thicker in the middle to give support to the belly chopping curve.

The wider spine in the middle gives some oomph when battoning wood for kindling
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

I will need to check mine and measure the thickness at the hilt, in the middle by the belly and towards the tip as I think it slightly thicker in the middle to give support to the belly chopping curve.

The wider spine in the middle gives some oomph when battoning wood for kindling
    The Lasher ones are made from 1055 carbon steel plate that is 3.2mm thick throughout. See the photos below. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190807_162926.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	536495Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190807_162934.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	536496Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190807_162959.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	536497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190807_163046.jpg 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	536498
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    The Lasher ones are made from 1055 carbon steel plate that is 3.2mm thick throughout. See the photos below. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190807_162926.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	536495Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190807_162934.jpg 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	536496Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190807_162959.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	536497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190807_163046.jpg 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	536498
    Mmh just Lazer cut. A mate of mine has an original Kukri made in Malaysia. Comes with two small blades, I believe one is for sharpening and other blade is for small cutting. Lovely knife, he asked me to give him an offer to buy.... I wouldn't know what to offer.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Mmh just Lazer cut. A mate of mine has an original Kukri made in Malaysia. Comes with two small blades, I believe one is for sharpening and other blade is for small cutting. Lovely knife, he asked me to give him an offer to buy.... I wouldn't know what to offer.
    I doubt they lazer cut the stuff they do.. Most of Lashers tools are pressed plate so I'd presume they will stamp them out.
    A hand forged Kukuri is a thing of beauty and not something I'd use to hack around in the bush but that's just me. I've got my "drool over" blades that generally live in my safe and then working blades that get used. Price of the blade doesn't necessarily determine which category they fall into.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

I have a lasher Kukri and a cane knife.
    The cane knife works far better as all rounder and i prefer that over the Kukri. The Lasher Kukri is far away removed from the ergonomics, feel and weight of a real Kukri. But even a Lasher Kukri is better than nothing.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

I have a Husqvarna that goes in my “hunting” bag. It is a hand forged hatchet and the head is made by Hults Bruk. It is not quite as fineley finished as a Gränsfors Bruk but it is still great quality and its a heck of a lot cheaper!

Name:	IMG_3319.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	536516
    Nissan Navara d23 (Leatherman)
    Jeep Cherokee 3.2 (Swambo’s sportscar/ mommy taxi)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:

I took a 1400 bakkie's rear blade spring, lit a fire in my wheel rim forge that is powered by an antique vacuum cleaner and gently massaged the yellow hot blade with a 4lb hammer to accept the curves and profiles that I wanted it to take. It was suitably hardened and annealed before polishing and fitting a handle.

The off cut was turned in to a pirate type joke that works pretty well and can take a lot of abuse, stuff you do not do with your Kershaw Both are razor sharp

If I want to chop a bit more seriously I have the estwing axe

Name:	P1060115.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	381.3 KB 
ID:	536521
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

27. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Henk, you win Meneer. That is brilliant!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    I took a 1400 bakkie's rear blade spring, lit a fire in my wheel rim forge that is powered by an antique vacuum cleaner and gently massaged the yellow hot blade with a 4lb hammer to accept the curves and profiles that I wanted it to take. It was suitably hardened and annealed before polishing and fitting a handle.

The off cut was turned in to a pirate type joke that works pretty well and can take a lot of abuse, stuff you do not do with your Kershaw Both are razor sharp

If I want to chop a bit more seriously I have the estwing axe

Name:	P1060115.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	381.3 KB 
ID:	536521
    Not the first time I've seen you post about those two, and hopefully not the last. They are things of beauty and you are a machine!
    Office Johnny

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petermoffat For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast