Driving habits Good and Bad

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Driving habits Good and Bad

I have been thinking about this quite a bit. Every guy thinks he is a good driver, not that I think I am but we like to think so..

So what good driving habits do you have to share and what have you seen other people do that you don't like.

Example, I only use the clutch when changing gears, however I have seen some people pressing in the clutch pedal when they go downhill to "free"

I take my foot of the accelerator long before a stop and gear down while some other just push in the clutch and brake all the way till they stand still and then put it in 1st to pull off again.

I also believe that when I brake I gear down till I get to second gear and only go to 1st if the vehicle is at a standstill.
    Last edited by FWM; 2019/07/30 at 01:01 PM.
    2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2019 Suzuki Baleno 1.4 GLX platkar

Default Re: Driving habits Good and Bad

Me? I am the best driver in the world. haha.
    On a serious note, I read somewhere once that it can take two people to make a relationship work and two people to break one.
    I believe it is the same for driving. I am however, more likely to pinpoint my own bad habits than my good ones.
    I tend to tailgate too much. Only in the fast lane though.
    I also have a somewhat heavy right foot. I get too many fines.
    I use "sign language" too much.

Having said that, when I have passengers in the vehicle or when I am alone, I am two different beasts. I really am bipolar when it comes to passenger safety. I do not go from reckless to timid just by adding a passenger, but I do become more safety aware.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chopped For This Useful Post:

FWM

I have one habit which I use almost unconciously. When driving a manual vehicle, I will put it into neutral and take my foot off the clutch when standing at a red light or for any prolonged period of time. I drive with a lot of mechanical sympathy and this is just one of my habits to save on wear, in this case the release bearing obviously. Good in my eyes, maybe bad for others.
    Last edited by Francois Theron; 2019/07/30 at 12:52 PM.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

5. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
    Me? I am the best driver in the world. haha.
    On a serious note, I read somewhere once that it can take two people to make a relationship work and two people to break one.
    I believe it is the same for driving. I am however, more likely to pinpoint my own bad habits than my good ones.
    I tend to tailgate too much. Only in the fast lane though.
    I also have a somewhat heavy right foot. I get too many fines.
    I use "sign language" too much.

Having said that, when I have passengers in the vehicle or when I am alone, I am two different beasts. I really am bipolar when it comes to passenger safety. I do not go from reckless to timid just by adding a passenger, but I do become more safety aware.
    I agree on those points you made and I admit I am guilty on many of them as well.

On another note if I think back on how I used to drive when is was younger its a miracle that I am still alive. Now that I am a bit older and thinking back on the things I have done in a car really leaves me scared.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    I have one habit which I use almost unconciously. When driving a manual vehicle, I will put it into neutral and take my foot off the clutch when standing at a red light or for any prolonged period of time. I drive with a lot of mechanical sympathy and this is just one of my habits to save on wear, in this case the release bearing obviously. Good in my eyes, maybe bad for others.
    Same here .... some say it's not good as you can't react fast enough if something should happen

Sambo loves speed bumps ... by love I mean she loves to ignore them. Wheel alignment is always out on her vehicle. If she had dentures, those things would be chipped all over the place

I have done both Defensive and Offensive driving courses courtesy of the SADF and I drive fairly defensively to this day to the point that after a long trip I am knackered and hyper alert. Not saying its good or bad but 1 accident in 36 years isnt bad and that was due to a taxi doing a U-turn when I drew parallel

1. These days, a lot of people dont stay within the white line on bends
    2. Lane management is the other, the guys who wont get into the correct lane before an offramp and have to block a whole lane while they queue jump and try and push in, William Nichol comes to mind, which slows alll the lanes down as others carrying on ahead have to slow or stop to get around these palookas
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Agree with you on your points. Will however select neutral and "free". And I do it often as I have two section close to me, where a "free" gives me 1km on the one, and 2.4km on the other. Lol, I sometimes even switch the car off on hotter days if I don't run the risk of cooling the radiator down to much. Then start on the starter motor to let the car idle for a few seconds to "mix" the water before applying higher revs.

I believe in smooth driving. Acceleration and handling. Acceleration saves on fuel, and smooth turning keeps the balance of the car better in cornering compared to taking the corner in "jerks".

My OCD messes with me when it comes to braking though. Striving for a smooth ride, I like braking "slowly" with as little discomfort to me and my passengers. Just something I excelled at as a VIP driver many years ago. Passenger confort was one of the things we tried to achieve. But, slow braking causes more wear and heat on brake components compared to a brisker more meaningful braking action over a shorter distance than, for instance, slowing down over a 500 meter distance from 80km/h.

Never rest your foot on the clutch, or brake pedal for that matter. Get off the clutch as soon as possible on a pull away (don't slip it). In offroad situation, dont operate the clutch at all in an obstacle, select the gear and complete the climb or descent. Again, don't slip the clutch trying to achieve "better gearing". My personal little rule, dont use the clutch in water that you know is deep enough to submerge the clutch and pressureplate, rather do a pull off using the starter.

Learn to change gears by rev matching. Comes in handy in applying some of my rules above. Also does not leave you all messed up the day your clutch does fail, and you need to drive your car back home. Saves you the tow in costs. Also means you need to learn how to pull off using the starter. Kinda in line with this (what makes you think I have had to rescue a few cars with failed clutches), learn to read the traffic and "synchronize" your driving with things like traffic lights. This means getting to a traffic light as, or after it turns green for you. Saves you another pull away from standstill. Helps the fuel consumption and the clutch. Very handy skill to have when towing a heavy trailer or another car. Makes life easier on you, the guy you are towing, and your equipment.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfreesani For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    I have done both Defensive and Offensive driving courses courtesy of the SADF and I drive fairly defensively to this day to the point that after a long trip I am knackered and hyper alert. Not saying its good or bad but 1 accident in 36 years isnt bad and that was due to a taxi doing a U-turn when I drew parallel

1. These days, a lot of people dont stay within the white line on bends
    2. Lane management is the other, the guys who wont get into the correct lane before an offramp and have to block a whole lane while they queue jump and try and push in, William Nichol comes to mind, which slows alll the lanes down as others carrying on ahead have to slow or stop to get around these palookas
    Or guys who keep going over red lights even if the section in front of them is blocked up already and then in return block the guys who have a green to go, or worse they just form another lane because they cant wait 30 seconds

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Eish....

I am a lunatic behind the wheel hence my poor fuel economy no matter what car I drive

That being said, I am very very observant of what is going on behind me ALL THE TIME. Mirrors are very important to me. If I curse and make hand gestures a lot while driving, it means I am concentrating. I have noticed when I drive quietly and not aggressively I tend to not concentrate as I should and not be as observant as I should be.

Its my way of stayin' alive. I have never had an accident with another vehicle or any insurance claims, whatsoever. Bar the occasional little parking lot pole that you cant see when reversing and the odd scrape of the front bumper on the platkarre.
    NEW Project: Daihatsu ROCKY (Balboa) 4x4 2.8

Platkar Haaihoendaai i20 1.4

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Eish....

I am a lunatic behind the wheel hence my poor fuel economy no matter what car I drive

That being said, I am very very observant of what is going on behind me ALL THE TIME. Mirrors are very important to me. If I curse and make hand gestures a lot while driving, it means I am concentrating. I have noticed when I drive quietly and not aggressively I tend to not concentrate as I should and not be as observant as I should be.

Its my way of stayin' alive. I have never had an accident with another vehicle or any insurance claims, whatsoever. Bar the occasional little parking lot pole that you cant see when reversing and the odd scrape of the front bumper on the platkarre.
    Yes that's true one doesn't really concentrate that much if you are on a go slow

I always put safety first, all passengers are seatbelted before takeoff, you can only alight vehicle once stopped and engine is off.

I not afraid to use the entire road if safety permits ie; windy road going over solid line in the bends a bit if there is no oncoming traffic.

Oncoming traffic : if i see some one over taking to close for comfort from the front I slow down and go bit into the yellow lane making a gap available should the person that is being overtaken decide to accelerate to prove a point ( happens often) thus allowing a safety space.

Automatic - put in neutral then engage parking brake before moving to Park.

manual- leave in gear when parking, always depress clutch before starting.

drive gently until engine is at operating temp

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

FWM

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    I always put safety first, all passengers are seatbelted before takeoff, you can only alight vehicle once stopped and engine is off.

I not afraid to use the entire road if safety permits ie; windy road going over solid line in the bends a bit if there is no oncoming traffic.

Oncoming traffic : if i see some one over taking to close for comfort from the front I slow down and go bit into the yellow lane making a gap available should the person that is being overtaken decide to accelerate to prove a point ( happens often) thus allowing a safety space.

Automatic - put in neutral then engage parking brake before moving to Park.

manual- leave in gear when parking, always depress clutch before starting.

drive gently until engine is at operating temp
    +1000 Leaving a manual parked in neutral with handbrake only is not wise

Lots of silly habits on this thread............
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

"mechanical sympathy" I like that!

I use engine braking a lot, the benefits of a diesel. The brake pads last forever.
    Look ahead and anticipate traffic, whether that is congestion on an open road or coming up to traffic light. This reduces braking and acceleration.
    Be aware. It's something I picked up when I starting riding a motorbike. On the highway it's not only what's going on up front but also what is coming up from behind. At traffic lights, check left and right to see if anyone is slipping a red light.
    Move the left hand lane if it's open, even if I'm the only car on the road and doing 120. Move right to overtake and move back again. Let's keep traffic flowing.

What really gets to me:
    - Many drivers are unable to stay in their lane in bends, sometimes due to excessive speed but usually they're just completely unaware. Maybe it is more a Cape Town problem.
    - Drivers shooting past cars and then trying to push in in front somewhere (in traffic). They won't do it waiting in line at the shop so what makes them so special now. Wait your turn like a civilised human being.
    - People typing on their cell phones while driving. I don't mind when waiting at a red light but it is seriously dangerous at 100 km/h.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Musashi For This Useful Post:

Two pet hates I have on what a lot of other road users do:
    1. Tailgating!
    2. Not understanding that at traffic circles traffic coming from the R/H side already in has right of way.
    3. Four way stops: 'First come first to go'. Yet, many think it is a sign of courtesy to wave you through although they were there firs
    Hennie

Pajerosport
    .308 CZ

25. The Following User Says Thank You to hdreyer For This Useful Post:

When a driver (usually female) is going to turn left, she banks a little (or a lot) to the right to create a better angle and vice versa.

Creates havoc when you try and slip past on the opposite side of the indicated turn.

A few close shaves and Iearned proper following distances and not to drive in another road user's blind spot. Both saved my life numerous times when I was still a lightie on 125bike.
    1998 Defender 110 Tdi 300
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Most irritating for me - these numbnuts that will poer poer at 40 or less in traffic, slowing everybody else behind them down, just to casually poer poer on over all the red robots like its nothing.
    NEW Project: Daihatsu ROCKY (Balboa) 4x4 2.8

Platkar Haaihoendaai i20 1.4

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hdreyer View Post
    2. Not understanding that at traffic circles traffic coming from the R/H side already in has right of way.
    OMFW #$%@#$^@#$^@#$%^# ^^ This!!!!!

And then not understanding that it's a yield at the circle and it's right of way when approaching said 'yield' sign.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Most irritating for me - these numbnuts that will poer poer at 40 or less in traffic, slowing everybody else behind them down, just to casually poer poer on over all the red robots like its nothing.
    Dit kan my n [email protected]#rberoerte gee

31. The Following User Says Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

WAJ

Quote Originally Posted by hdreyer View Post
    Two pet hates I have on what a lot of other road users do:
    1. Tailgating!
    Wow!
    I thought I was the only living being in SA understanding that!

I agree on the tailgating.
    I will one day mount a windscreen washer bottle on my rear bumper, and fill it with brake fluid.
    That should leave a lasting impression on the tailgaters.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast