Franschoek ripp off - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Franschoek ripp off

We used to do Family holidays in Franschoek but it is a little pricey. But then it is kinda geared up for tourists. We now go to Montague, lovely town and lots to do. The Rose cafe/ restaurant serve great food with a warm cosy vibe.

I live in Fish Hoek, and even though I am like 5km away from Kalk Bay we never eat there or go there. It's the same kinda thing, it's become a tourist trap. Brass Bell wants to charge like R120 for hake and chips. Another place in Claremont wanted to charge me R50 for a SAB draught. Ya no thanks.

We have a lot of family in the UK, so we take them to these kinda places when they down, but we also take them to our local hangouts. That's where the value for money comes in, good food, vibe and prices that are reasonable.

I have noticed that these foncy restaurants the food isn't anything to write home about, I think it's more about being seen there. We went to Sevruga in Waterfront for our anniversary, food was crap. But all these people were Raving about it. Maybe I need to drive a BMW to understand 🤣. I prefer a lekker vibe and proper home style food.

Also, if you really wanna save. Visit the Cape in winter and take a local and don't be afraid of corkage.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Walnut For This Useful Post:

We were at the Brass Bell on Sunday. I do not regard their prices as being too high, their food is OK, better than most similar places where most of the food is cooked in oil. Spare a thought for the owners, being virtually in the sea, their maintenance costs must be very high.

I belong to a little group, The Tastebuddies, 6 couples, we regularly go out to restaurants in and around Cape Town. Often places that are highly rated and other times we go to popular Cape Town institutions , eg Dias Tavern. About 80% of the time, I walk out after the meal, feeling that the food/service could or should have been much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Merwe Erasmus View Post
    PS As julle weer Kaap toe kom en jy voel lus om 'n vier of vyfduisend randelas op 'n ete vir twee te blaas, gaan maak 'n draai by die Test Kitchen.
    To be honest and blunt, I will only part with that kind of dosh if its in an establishment that has nekkidwimmins. Now there are a couply of you that knows me and that dosh isnt an issue, but that is not the kind of culinary experience I am after. Years ago yes, but now, a road side eatery run by granny on the way to Darjeeling is more the culinary experience I am after and would much prefer to spend the money on getting there to experience it.

I have had bream just out of the Kafue at the side of the road, gutted and scored and rubbed and filled with spices and seared expertly over a Zambian brazier that I would have glady paid 50x more for than what I did pay, than pay for wagyu biltong or foamed lobster.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2009 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Try the Botrivier wine route. Kinda in the vicinity and I've only had positive experiences there. Not as commercial as the well known routes.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

I like good food, but I don't like being ripped off.

eg (just by illustration)
    When I order chocolate mousse, I don't want to be served Moir's Instant Chocolate pudding @ R65 a serving!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chocolate-mousse-500x500.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	535560
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moir pudding chocolate-500x500.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	535561
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post

I live in Fish Hoek, and even though I am like 5km away from Kalk Bay we never eat there or go there.
    What's wrong with Kalky's?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Some of the best fish 'n chips I ever had, was at Kalky's.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    Some of the best fish 'n chips I ever had, was at Kalky's.
    me too

Find the best FOOD, not the COOLEST PLACE..............
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

me too

Find the best FOOD, not the COOLEST PLACE..............
    Is that a place or an establishment?
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2009 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

It's ok, but nothing mind blowing to put up with all the parking and traffic issues. The whole of Kalk Bay is so busy. If I want to get home sometimes I can sit for 30min on Boyes Drive cos of the traffic at Kalk Bay.

Don't feel too sorry for the Brass Bell, they have there fair share of drama especially regarding the tidal pools.

Fish Hoek Fisheries is really good for take away Fish and chips.

Also Simon's Town is amazing, we go to a place above Bertha's called Saveur. Black Marlin is also epic. Or for just good grub try the Toad In Noordhoek Farm Village.

Another cool thing is the entertainer app, some really nice deals at lekker places.

Just boarding from Durban for Cape Town not going to Franshoek but will definitely try some other eateries

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dudleytheplumber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    Ek sal maar vroegtydig laat weet dat jy die wyn in die yskas kan sit.
    Niemand wat wyn in die yskas sit gaan regkom in Franschoek nie...

Duur is relatief. Kyk, die "Owner's Villa" by Delaire Graff teen R760k vir die minimum 2 nagte se slaap is nogal styf, ek moet erken...
    Last edited by Pietsweis; 2019/08/08 at 01:57 PM.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post
    Niemand wat wyn in die yskas sit gaan regkom in Franschoek nie...
    Speaking of wine. I had to attend a one day conference a few years ago and spent the evening in Stellenbosch at a hotel. Supper was served in their busy restaurant and I was amazed that everyone had a bottle of wine on their tables, the men at the bar were drinking wine and only wine. No one had a beer or anything else. I thought at the time the restaurant cat probably also dops wine...So when moi asks for a Captain and Coke I got these blank stares from the bar man..
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Speaking of wine. I had to attend a one day conference a few years ago and spent the evening in Stellenbosch at a hotel. Supper was served in their busy restaurant and I was amazed that everyone had a bottle of wine on their tables, the men at the bar were drinking wine and only wine. No one had a beer or anything else. I thought at the time the restaurant cat probably also dops wine...So when moi asks for a Captain and Coke I got these blank stares from the bar man..
    Just a side note to add to your experience, NEVER make coke jokes on a brandy tasting... NEVER. Sense of humor is unwelcome and stays outside the door...
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Same here Riaan. Back in 1999 or 2000, I was a guest of Caltex where they graciously put us up at some wine estate, I cant for the life of me remember which one. The obligatory wine tasting was arranged for one evening and I am afraid, true to form, having endured a number of hours, (might have been 1 but seemed like a couply), I, with relief at the end of it, stated; ''now for the Cappies and Coke'' rather too gleefully I am afraid.
    Last edited by Estee; 2019/08/08 at 02:13 PM.

2009 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    Fish Hoek Fisheries is really good for take away Fish and chips.

Also Simon's Town is amazing, we go to a place above Bertha's called Saveur. Black Marlin is also epic. Or for just good grub try the Toad In Noordhoek Farm Village.

Another cool thing is the entertainer app, some really nice deals at lekker places.
    Thanks for the tips above - only knew of The Toad in Lakeside - have not been to the farm village for a few years

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Going to Berthas for lunch today

Quote Originally Posted by Dudleytheplumber View Post
    Going to Berthas for lunch today
    Hope the weather was good to sit outside. We will try Saveur upstairs next time. Sorry, digressing from Franschoek....

Never got to Berthas, got to Kalk Bay to Live Bait was full so ended up at Luckyfish and Chips, food was good for the price, calamari was excellent.. These places rock on a SundayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190811_142328.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	536929Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190811_133027.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	536930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190811_133033.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	536931

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dudleytheplumber For This Useful Post:

In my experience there are two things to consider when spending money - firstly, is it likely that the entrepreneur needs to load his prices to afford the exorbitant rent, and secondly, are the marketing wizards playing their managing perceptions game with me.
    Of the best tasting value for money meals I have had was in small town eateries on Route 62, like Barrydale. No pretense, no fancy decor, just honest local food. I am not a tripe fanatic, but my camping friend recons he had the best tripe ever in a restaurant in Montagu, paying the price of fish and chips in a Cape Town franchise.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5