Drive through Aberdare National Park - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Drive through Aberdare National Park

Quote Originally Posted by apfac View Post
    Hi Freek,

You could not get better advise than with WW.

It really looks Very good!

WW has a point here (day 24). If you are flying that night, I would take the main Mombasa Rd to Nairobi (exiting at Mtito Andei Gate) instead of the C103-C102 (Chyulu gate). You will reach Nairobi by early afternoon, just in time for your final preparations for the flight. The C103 is very slow going. The drive from Amboseli to Lake Jipe is beautiful. Jipe itself is a must, and the drive from Lake Jipe to Maktau Gate was one of the drives we most enjoyed and retain on our memories for a long time.

Just take it slowly and enjoy it!

AP
    Yeah i really appreciate that WW takes time to help me with the trip planning!

Lake Jipe is definitely a must go for us! We are really looking forward to have the drive towards there!

It will be our first selfdrive 4x4 and camping trip, so it is going to be special for sure!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Freek0416 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    Freek, you have been given advice from best experts on Kenya on this forum. I would just like to reiterate WW's sugestion about lodging on days 1 and 15 (your original plan is to spend those two nights at Kisiwa Guesthouse). Roadtrip Africa's base in Kenya is at Jungle Junction, so this would also be your most convenient lodging place in Nairobi. You can book one of their rooms or camp in their front yard. You can arrange a transfer from airport with them - their driver will wait for you on your arrival and take you directly to Jungle Junction in Karen. And next morning you can immediately take over the car, as it will be park right there at JJ.

As WW said, Chris is the owner and is also a superb mechanic, who takes care of all the cars from Roadtrip Africa in Kenya. http://www.ioverlander.com/places/4514-jungle-junction Let me know if you need their email address, as I don't want to publish it here in the open forum without their concordance.
    I have contacted roadtrip cause i want to be sure that Kisiwa is at the office. That is what they told me. But now i doubt about that.

I think it is better to stay at the Jungle Junction, if you can send me Chris his email adress then i can contact him, that would be perfect!

Thanks for the advice! Appreciatie it

It may well have changed with regard to Roadtripkenya and where they base their vehicles. The Airbnb called Kisiwa seems to be Dutch owned, and Roadtripuganda/Kenya is Dutch owned too. Perhaps Chris of Jungle Junction is now just doing the maintenance of the vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Freek0416 View Post
    Thanks again Wazungu Wawili

Day 2: The original plan was to enter the main reserve at Sekanani gate and then drive the next day towards Oloololo campsite. But maybey it is better to stay somewhere between the Sekanani gate and Nairobi, cause time can be a issue. Then we dont have to push the shopping and driving. Can you reccomend a place?

Looking forward to it!
    Karibu!

Day 2: there really isnít anywhere to stay between Nairobi and the Sekanani gate except local hotels in Narok. Ortelius has camped near the Sekanani gate and perhaps that is the best thing to do if you are under time pressure. I have never camped near the Sekanani gate so canít comment. Be sure to only pay your park and camping fees for the Mara Triangle at either the Mara Bridge Gate or Oloololo Gate. You are allowed to transit the main reserve to the Mara Triangle. Or you pay one dayís fees for the main reserve and then the remainder for the Mara Triangle. This is important as the Mara Triangle is very well administered and the fees paid go to the right place. The main reserve is administered in a rather ad hoc way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    It may well have changed with regard to Roadtripkenya and where they base their vehicles. The Airbnb called Kisiwa seems to be Dutch owned, and Roadtripuganda/Kenya is Dutch owned too. Perhaps Chris of Jungle Junction is now just doing the maintenance of the vehicles.
    Yeah Kisiwa is runned by Adriaan, he is Dutch. When i have a email of roadtrip i will let you guys know!

Yes, it might well be that Roadtrip has now established their proper base in Nairobi - when I last have had contacts with them (more than a year ago), they were still running their Kenyan branch out of Kampala. But I would guess that Chris at JJ is still in charge of their vehicle maintanance.

In any case, Freek, I have sent you PM with JJ email address.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

But I would guess that Chris at JJ is still in charge of their vehicle maintanance.

As far I know, that might not be the case no more!

AP

Yes they changed their base from Jungle Junction to Kisiwa House.

Adriaan is running the Kenya office and is also offering guestrooms.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Freek0416 For This Useful Post:

Karibu!

Day 2: there really isnít anywhere to stay between Nairobi and the Sekanani gate except local hotels in Narok. Ortelius has camped near the Sekanani gate and perhaps that is the best thing to do if you are under time pressure. I have never camped near the Sekanani gate so canít comment. Be sure to only pay your park and camping fees for the Mara Triangle at either the Mara Bridge Gate or Oloololo Gate. You are allowed to transit the main reserve to the Mara Triangle. Or you pay one dayís fees for the main reserve and then the remainder for the Mara Triangle. This is important as the Mara Triangle is very well administered and the fees paid go to the right place. The main reserve is administered in a rather ad hoc way.
    Thanks for the tip about the Mara Reserve!

We can pickup the car at 07:00. But we have to make sure that the stores are already open then. So we can stockup.

Otherwise we have to stock up somewehere on the route to the Mara, or stay a day longer around Nairobi.

If you can pick up the car at 7 am, then you certainly have more than enough time to get to Mara, at least to Sekenani gate. AFAIK, there are no supermarkets or large stores between Nairobi and Mara, so definitely stock up in Nairobi. When you leave for Mara from Kiswa Guesthouse, I believe you will drive to Ngong Road and then toward Southern bypass. Before reaching bypass highway, you will cross Langata/Dragoretti road. On this crossroad, on your left, you will see a huge shopping complex, called "The Hub Karen". In there you have large Crefour supermarket, where you can by just about everything. I believe it opens at 8:30 or 9:00. So, if you are done shopping by 10:00 or 10:30, you will have about 7 to 8 hours of daylight left, which should be more than enough to Talek Gate. Last time we did this route (about a year and a half ago), we had some problems with Roadtrip's vehicle in the start, so we only left The Hub around 12:30, but we still managed to get to the campsite just out of Sekenani gate before dark.
    Last edited by ortelius; 2019/07/31 at 12:23 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Thanks for this information about Kisiwa House and Roadtrip Kenya. From the map, it is in Mwitu Estate, Karen.

The Hub is a huge shopping mall - and where the huge Carrefour supermarket is located - is on Dagoretti Road. You can see it on the map attached to the Kisiwa House information sheet. I donít know what time it opens, but you cannot buy beer, spirits or any alcohol before 1000 am anywhere in Kenya. You will be able to do that in Narok where there is a Naivash supermarket and lots of small dukas.

Safari njema!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

If you can pick up the car at 7 am, then you certainly have more than enough time to get to Mara, at least to Sekenani gate. AFAIK, there are no supermarkets or large stores between Nairobi and Mara, so definitely stock up in Nairobi. When you leave for Mara from Kiswa Guesthouse, I believe you will drive to Ngong Road and then toward Southern bypass. Before reaching bypass highway, you will cross Langata/Dragoretti road. On this crossroad, on your left, you will see a huge shopping complex, called "The Hub Karen". In there you have large Crefour supermarket, where you can by just about everything. I believe it opens at 8:30 or 9:00. So, if you are done shopping by 10:00 or 10:30, you will have about 7 to 8 hours of daylight left, which should be more than enough to Talek Gate. Last time we did this route (about a year and a half ago), we had some problems with Roadtrip's vehicle in the start, so we only left The Hub around 12:30, but we still managed to get to the campsite just out of Sekenani gate before dark.

Great! The Hub in Karen is on the road towards the Mara so we definitely stock up there! Luckily they are open on a Sunday.
    Do you maybey know if we can also withdraw money at the Hub?

We are driving on a Sunday towards the Sekenani gate, is there a lot of traffic on this road on a Sunday?

Just a few weeks left, getting excited

Thanks for this information about Kisiwa House and Roadtrip Kenya. From the map, it is in Mwitu Estate, Karen.

The Hub is a huge shopping mall - and where the huge Carrefour supermarket is located - is on Dagoretti Road. You can see it on the map attached to the Kisiwa House information sheet. I donít know what time it opens, but you cannot buy beer, spirits or any alcohol before 1000 am anywhere in Kenya. You will be able to do that in Narok where there is a Naivash supermarket and lots of small dukas.

Safari njema!
    Great tip! So we can get our last stuff at Narok before we go to the Sekenani gate.

I didn't know that it is nog possible to buy alcohol before 10:00 AM in Kenya, luckily we can buy them at Narok

We are driving on a Sunday towards the Sekenani gate, is there a lot of traffic on this road on a Sunday?
    Sure you can withdraw money at The Hub. There are ATMs, banks and forex offices there.

I think once we took the road from Nairobi to Mara on Sunday and the traffic was not very dense.

Enjoy jour final preparations. We are currently enjoying Zambia, but with very limited internet access...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Great! The Hub in Karen is on the road towards the Mara so we definitely stock up there! Luckily they are open on a Sunday.

Just a few weeks left, getting excited

Like Ortelius has said there are plenty of options to withdraw money at The Hubb. Ourselves have used the exchange offices on the first floor, at favorable rates.

Yes, it is our impression as well that during weekends traffic is less intense and thus easier to cross cities or through major routes.

Enjoy your trip.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to apfac For This Useful Post:

Sure you can withdraw money at The Hub. There are ATMs, banks and forex offices there.

I think once we took the road from Nairobi to Mara on Sunday and the traffic was not very dense.

Enjoy jour final preparations. We are currently enjoying Zambia, but with very limited internet access...
    Ah perfect! All we need to know

Thank you, just a few weeks left and then we go back to Africa again

Nice, is this your first time in Zambia? Hope you enjoy and have a great time in Zambia!!
    Last edited by Freek0416; 2019/08/07 at 08:06 AM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by apfac View Post
    Like Ortelius has said there are plenty of options to withdraw money at The Hubb. Ourselves have used the exchange offices on the first floor, at favorable rates.

Yes, it is our impression as well that during weekends traffic is less intense and thus easier to cross cities or through major routes.

Enjoy your trip.
    Normally we also prefer to exchange money at a office, but i saw on the website that they are closed on Sunday. Maybey we are lucky and they are open.
    But for now i bet on the ATM Machine.

Update as of 31 August 2019

When going to the Mara Conservancy (Triangle), use the Sekanani Gate. You get a transit pass at Sekanani and pay your park and camping fees at the Mara Bridge gate into the Triangle.

The road from Ngorengore to Oloololo is in a shocking condition. Some of our party came in through that route and said it was to be avoided. We came in and out via Sekanani. Nine hours from Nairobi going in three heavily laden vehicles, and seven hours coming back. Karen to Dirisha private campsite.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Update as of 31 August 2019

When going to the Mara Conservancy (Triangle), use the Sekanani Gate. You get a transit pass at Sekanani and pay your park and camping fees at the Mara Bridge gate into the Triangle.

The road from Ngorengore to Oloololo is in a shocking condition. Some of our party came in through that route and said it was to be avoided. We came in and out via Sekanani. Nine hours from Nairobi going in three heavily laden vehicles, and seven hours coming back. Karen to Dirisha private campsite.
    Thanks Wazungu Wawili!

We are leaving soon so perfect timing!!

Our plan was to enter at Sekanani Gate to Oloololo.
    When we leave Oloololo towards Lake Naivasha we would exit at Oloololo, but i think we are leaving through Sekenani Gate now.

Better to play safe!

Safari njema.

And please, please write a trip report to let me know how your trip went: it doesnít have to be in English as Google Translate can be my friend.

It is all ďgive and takeĒ on this forum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast