Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roof top tent

Default Roof top tent

I am planning on selling my caravan as the kids are older and we not using it as mutch. I'm thinking of getting a roof top tent for my Land Rover 110, but my wife doesn't wont to have to close up tent to go for a game drive. What do others do?
    Last edited by Dirk; 2019/07/29 at 12:55 PM.

Default Re: Roof top tent

We have an Eezi-awn rtt. Has to be fully packed up for game drives. Not too much trouble. I see two options. Either a clam-shell type rtt which is really quick and easy or a fancy 'stilt' setup as I have seen at Alucab retailers, which allows you to elevate the rtt and drive in and out from under it.
    Btw, however much trouble it is, our rtt is my favourite sleeping place ever!

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

Maybe shed prefer to stay in a chalet

Yes ...RTT's are a challenge if you want to go for an early morning game drive .... but it comes down to your mindset ...

If you go to the gym early in the morning when at home, then consider packing up the RTT as your "early morning gym" and once in practice should take you no more than 10 minutes ...

RTTs definitely have their positives and negatives ... the biggest +ve is not having to tow a trailer or caravan ...

We have done over 90 days in the RTT over the past year and not cursed it once... in fact can't wait to get RTT fit again!!

I have an Alucab RTT on my lorry.

If removing and storing the ladder, and pulling the lid down takes me takes me 2 minutes - then it's a lot.

I DONT get the fuss about having to pack up. Whats to pack up? the ladder is all I have to pack up. Pulling the lid down is faster than zipping up a tent door. I am usually out the camp before anyone else in the morning.

Other style RTT's would/could be different.
    Last edited by EHoffmann; 2019/07/28 at 08:52 PM.
    Flying Spaghetti Monster

ZS1ETphonehome

We are also busy looking at RTT's for our Defender for a long term overland trip. The clam shell type are much quicker to pack up but expensive. I am tall (1.88m) and find that I do not fit comfortably length wise into the two we have looked at (Eezi-Awn and Big Country). They also take up most of the roof rack leaving no space for spare tyres, jerry cans etc. The soft tops have more space inside, use much less roof space and cost less. Pack up time seems to be 10 to 15 minutes from what we have been told, which is a big difference between the two types. These seem to be the major trade offs between them. We are still struggling to decide which will suit us best. Anyone have advise on which is best for long term overlanding?
    1997 Defender Tdi
    2010 Defender Puma

For a one or two night stay over a RTT works great

For three or more nights a ground tent works great.

Why not combine the two and use the one more convenient for the night/trip?

Lots of people use a RTT and ground tent for this reason.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Yes that is an option. Just more equipment and more weight when trying to keep these as minimal as possible.
    1997 Defender Tdi
    2010 Defender Puma

Quote Originally Posted by calitzfamily View Post
    I am planning on selling my caravan as the kids are older....
    And you are getting older as well. Not easy getting up and down, getting dressed, toilet etc. I do not believe your application is the same. I have RTT, Trailer and caravan and use them all differently. Caravan for long stays, where you have a base you travel from. Same for trailer but trailer I use for longer distances, for fuel consumption and easy of towing. RTT is great for doing Baviaans or other similar excursions, where you would sleep in a different place every night. Also have a ground tent but use it as little as possible
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Snyks For This Useful Post:

There is 5 options.
    1. Chalet - not always available
    2. Caravan - he wants to sell it
    3. Trailer with TTT - if you don't mind towing
    4. Vehicle RTT - wife has a problem with this
    5. Ground tent - little more time consuming to setup

Its a trip specific and personal choice thing.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    We are also busy looking at RTT's for our Defender for a long term overland trip. The clam shell type are much quicker to pack up but expensive. I am tall (1.88m) and find that I do not fit comfortably length wise into the two we have looked at (Eezi-Awn and Big Country). They also take up most of the roof rack leaving no space for spare tyres, jerry cans etc. The soft tops have more space inside, use much less roof space and cost less. Pack up time seems to be 10 to 15 minutes from what we have been told, which is a big difference between the two types. These seem to be the major trade offs between them. We are still struggling to decide which will suit us best. Anyone have advise on which is best for long term overlanding?
    Also look at iKamper. They have a hard and a soft shell. We went for the hard shell and never looked back. Didnt want the Alu-Cab or Eezi-Awn hard shells because of their small size.

The iKamper opens to 2.1x2.1m inside and needed that space because our 3yr old still sleeps in our tent.

The soft shell is also the same size inside.

Here is a photo of our iKamper witn Alu-Cab awning
    Attached Images Attached Images  

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Choppie81 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Choppie81 View Post
    Hi choppie.

Looks good.

I want to get a similar setup.
    Is the awning easy to setup?
    Does it give enough shelter if it rains with a small kid?

Thanks

Eazy awn tard hardshell is the way to go myself busy to looking to it looks sterk en vinnig oop en toe

I fitted an iKamper beginning of the year. it was fitted onto load bars and the roof carrier was moved to the front. Now my eazy awn won't fit anymore and I would be interested as how you fitted the Alu-Cab awning? Thanks!

By the way, the iKamper is bar fare the best RTT I ever had and I work with camping vehicles all the time. The quality and build is outstanding. Yes, it is expensive, but there is a reason for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Wlotzka View Post
    I fitted an iKamper beginning of the year. it was fitted onto load bars and the roof carrier was moved to the front. Now my eazy awn won't fit anymore and I would be interested as how you fitted the Alu-Cab awning? Thanks!

By the way, the iKamper is bar fare the best RTT I ever had and I work with camping vehicles all the time. The quality and build is outstanding. Yes, it is expensive, but there is a reason for that!
    What do they cost and how is the setup compared to others?? I know someone who is looking at a RTT vs Jetstream teardrop trailer.
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by Wlotzka View Post

Anything Frontrunner touches turns to gold (price wise)
    But let's not think Alu Cab is any better

From what I see about the iKamper - is that is it spacious - and much lighter than the Alu Cab RTT
    And the quick-release Tent mount kit - if that works - it must be fantastic.
    What is the top shell made of?

Profile 320mm is much higher than the Alu Cab (280mm highest side) - which is only a factor if your garage doors are low. (like mine)
    Last edited by EHoffmann; 2020/03/12 at 04:19 PM.
    Flying Spaghetti Monster

ZS1ETphonehome

For short stays put up my small canvas frame tent and for long stays a bigger setup. Small frame tent only takes 10 minutes or so.

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.
    2003 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 - Surprisingly capable
    1996 Suzuki Samurai - work in progress

Where did you get yours?

Also, how much kit can you fit inside ?

We have the bundutec (2.4 x 3m) takes all the bedding, ladder and pillows with a towel or 3 thrown in. It works well for 2 adults and a 10yr old, but have been keen to see the iKamper in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowones View Post
    We have the bundutec (2.4 x 3m) takes all the bedding, ladder and pillows with a towel or 3 thrown in. It works well for 2 adults and a 10yr old, but have been keen to see the iKamper in real life.
    In December our neighbor (while camping) had an iKamper. We climbed in hallway, had a good look around. Personally I wasnt too amazed, I prefer our bundutop

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MrTolbos For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast