Led lenser - crap product - crap after sales service

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Led lenser - crap product - crap after sales service

I am not one to publicly bring a company into disrepute and will always liaise with them to afford them to offer their services and opportunity to rectify any issues/concerns. I have done this with Led Lenser and can tell you, they have seen the last of me.

I have bought the following items from Led Lenser:

P17 - R1100
    x21 - R4900
    SE05 - x3 R895/each
    HO7 - R1300
    HR8 - R1400

Total spend: R 11'385. Of the R11'385 spent I have issues with the P17, X21, SE05 (x1) and the H07 , total spend R8'195.

Now before I carry on, I would like to point out that the P17 was repaired and returned at no cost, the SE05 was also replaced with a new model at no cost. The H07 & the X21 I sent in and got a message back, battery damage, irreparable and out of warranty purchase new ones.

Now the problem for me is, first of all when you spend big money for a "premium" product you expect it to perform like a premium product and not have so many issues and damages etc. Over and above that, I can say that I do understand warranties and things can go wrong etc, but the level of service and communication I got from Awesome Tools in Cape Town who are their agents was terrible! The communication was atrocious to say the least. I think when they received my product they didn't even bother looking at it. I assume it must've been a case of, oh look they out of warranty, don't waste your time, just send a message saying damaged beyond repair.

so since I got the H7 headlamp and X21 back saying irreparable and out of warranty, I kind of figured myself that I might as well fiddle with them to see if i can perhaps fix them or Mc Guyver them myself as its R6500 worth of lights I need to just chuck away. I opened up the H7 head lamp and found a loose disconnected wire. a bit of solder and time and it is now working perfectly after I was told there is irreparable battery damage by Awesome Tools. Once I finished on that one, I moved on to the X21 Torch. I opened it all up, removed all working and moving parts, cleaned it all up and sandpapered the battery contact points lightly. Once that was all done, i put everything back together and yup, you guessed it. It is now working perfectly.

So my moan is about 2 things:

1) You don't expect to have so many issues with so many of your product that you pay a premium price for or I might as well buy cheaper and just chuck away when it gives you issues and replace.
    2) Awesome tools, the agents in Cape Town, clearly have absolutely no idea what they are doing when I, a tile salesman, can fix my own torches and lights which are supposedly irreparable and need to be replaced.

So for any of you looking to buy decent lighting/torches etc. I strongly recommend you consider other brands rather than Led Lenser.
    2017 Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 Auto

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Donlux For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Led lenser - crap product - crap after sales service

Agree - they don't last!
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2019/07/25 at 09:34 PM.

I have bought a couple of cheapy chinese led flashlights at fleamarkets and even on ebay. Works very well and some have lasted quite a few years and still going strong. Led Lenser is just a name and I aint no brand junky !
    NEW Project: Daihatsu ROCKY (Balboa) 4x4 2.8

Platkar Haaihoendaai i20 1.4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

I wont buy a Led Lencer.Got one from skoonma as a gift, but it just loves batteries. one braai and they are done.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mapog For This Useful Post:

They package and market their products nicely.... no further comment
    Ross

Personally I don't regard Led Lenser as premium flashlights, maybe the price in some instances......

Locally flashligts from Nitecore , Olight, Torchguy etc are more in this league, although any of them can have malfunction problems anytime, they all carry a two to five years quarentee, ...............
    .........the difference in my experience is they all provide personally excellent service.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyPeeler For This Useful Post:

I am also gatvol for them. Headlamps dont last. Never again

12. The Following User Says Thank You to carlp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Donlux View Post
    I am not one to publicly bring a company into disrepute and will always liaise with them to afford them to offer their services and opportunity to rectify any issues/concerns. I have done this with Led Lenser and can tell you, they have seen the last of me.

P17 - R1100
    x21 - R4900
    SE05 - x3 R895/each
    HO7 - R1300
    HR8 - R1400

Total spend: R 11'385. Of the R11'385 spent I have issues with the P17, X21, SE05 (x1) and the H07 , total spend R8'195.

Now before I carry on, I would like to point out that the P17 was repaired and returned at no cost, the SE05 was also replaced with a new model at no cost. The H07 & the X21 I sent in and got a message back, battery damage, irreparable and out of warranty purchase new ones.

Now the problem for me is, first of all when you spend big money for a "premium" product you expect it to perform like a premium product and not have so many issues and damages etc. Over and above that, I can say that I do understand warranties and things can go wrong etc, but the level of service and communication I got from Awesome Tools in Cape Town who are their agents was terrible! The communication was atrocious to say the least. I think when they received my product they didn't even bother looking at it. I assume it must've been a case of, oh look they out of warranty, don't waste your time, just send a message saying damaged beyond repair.

so since I got the H7 headlamp and X21 back saying irreparable and out of warranty, I kind of figured myself that I might as well fiddle with them to see if i can perhaps fix them or Mc Guyver them myself as its R6500 worth of lights I need to just chuck away. I opened up the H7 head lamp and found a loose disconnected wire. a bit of solder and time and it is now working perfectly after I was told there is irreparable battery damage by Awesome Tools. Once I finished on that one, I moved on to the X21 Torch. I opened it all up, removed all working and moving parts, cleaned it all up and sandpapered the battery contact points lightly. Once that was all done, i put everything back together and yup, you guessed it. It is now working perfectly.

1) You don't expect to have so many issues with so many of your product that you pay a premium price for or I might as well buy cheaper and just chuck away when it gives you issues and replace.
    2) Awesome tools, the agents in Cape Town, clearly have absolutely no idea what they are doing when I, a tile salesman, can fix my own torches and lights which are supposedly irreparable and need to be replaced.

So for any of you looking to buy decent lighting/torches etc. I strongly recommend you consider other brands rather than Led Lenser.
    One word: Torchguy!

For the equivalent of what you've spent you can get genuinely world class flashlights (as reviewed by independent reviewers on places like candlepowerforums, budgetlightforum, etc.) at very good pricing and after sales service. You want to go 18650 Li-on or similar based battery so it's easy to replace and they last a few years if looked after and don't cost an arm and a leg to replace.

On a candela or lumen (depending if you want throw or flood) per Rand basis and service both pre and post purchase you can't beat Torchguy in my experience. Have a look at his Acebeam K70 that will make the X21 look like a candle in the wind in comparison as an example.

LED Lenser don't specify what LED is in their torches, unlike any premium flashlight where you know exactly what is in there. That already tells you a lot. Sorry that you have had such a poor experience, but as they break, buy some real quality stuff not overpriced marketing stories

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tkk For This Useful Post:

I agree. Very expensive head lamp stopped working because of a loose wire. I fixed that, and then the focus mechanism rusted or corroded stuck. And it has never been in the rain or water.

So I buy Fong Yong of Bidorbuy or OneDealADay, and guess what? The headlamps perform beyond expectations. And I can buy a dozen for the price of 1 LED Lenzer.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    I am also gatvol for them. Headlamps dont last. Never again
    Here I thought it was just me.

I am on my second headlamp, first one was replaced for the same issue: it chows batteries and it just switches itself off randomly.

Now I am.going to chuck it!
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Yip, bought 2 x H7.2, both died during the first trip. Havent bothered to check them out. Bought cheapies and they are still working.
    05 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 Did GLX

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcoP For This Useful Post:

I got a p7 for 8+ years now and have treated it like a Maglight, it's been hammered hard, the cradle holding the batteries even broke after falling out moving car onto tar, I think it was previously weakened by leaking batteries, it's still working, so I have no complaints about the product at all. As for Awesome Tools (I think same company?), the service I got with my leatherman was impressive to say the least.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sparewheel For This Useful Post:

Nitecore I believe are excellent, pricey but excellent with a good back up. Not sure if Celeste is still advertising on this forum.

But wither expensive or cheap, each has their expiry warranty date and you will pay for repairs.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Not a nice experience. Luckily my MT7 has been working without any issues since I bought it, which I think is more than 8 years ago. Very happy with it. I think it's by far one of the more solid torches they ever made. The others I've handled don't feel nearly as solid.

Need to buy a new headlamp for camping, so will be looking further afield than just LED Lenser.
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

My Ledlenser lasted for years. Stopped working randomly. See it started working again recently. Sad as I think they were part of the pioneers of LED but lost their way...

Anyhow, I am now on my second Magneto. Wonderful cheap little torches. I am on a second one as the first one stopped working. Only now found out that it was the battery that concked out so I just need to replace it and then I will have 2!
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST"

I had 2 LED Lenser torches - Needless to say - NEVER again.
    Had endless problems with them.
    Last edited by blouhond007; 2019/07/26 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
    if only life came with a ◄◄ REW ► PLAY ▌▌PAUSE █▌STOP

1994 Toyota Hilux SFA 2.4 D/C - Original
    2010 Diahatsu Terios AWD - Swambo

25. The Following User Says Thank You to blouhond007 For This Useful Post:

I have a headlamp and torch from Nitecore (Celeste on this site).

The torch especially I like. Is nice and sturdy and gives very good light.

I have seen LED Lenser a few times and they are also pricey. Nitecore is not cheap but in my experience, you get what you pay for.
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew123 For This Useful Post:

P17 - R1100
    x21 - R4900
    SE05 - x3 R895/each
    HO7 - R1300
    HR8 - R1400

You should not have bought so many of Led Lenser products without thoroughly testing/researching its durability.
    It's better to mix brands and that way you get a real test among products.

Next time go for Fenix products. You won't be sorry.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Teryos For This Useful Post:

Only one place for lights.....Nitecore!!!!
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

I have/had two torches from Celesti (Nitecore) - a small tactical torch and a rechargeable headlamp.

The headlamp is awesome and I regularly use it.

Sadly the tactical torch was crap. The warrantee doesn't cover it when your children play with it and lose it somewhere in the garden, never to be seen again

All kidding aside, the torch was awesome. Small enough to fit comfortably in your pocket and very, very bright (think it was 800LM). I even used it on a night drive at Mabula and it fared better than the spotlight that the game ranger used.

It is a good experience dealing with Celesti and her products are of high quality. I will admit slight bias, having been a commercial member on the forum myself I believe it is the right thing to do to support fellow commercial members. We are a community after all.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

33. The Following User Says Thank You to albertvl For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast