CKGR August 2019

Default CKGR August 2019

Hi,

We are a couple traveling to Botswana this coming August. We wanted to spend some time in the CKGR but couldn't secure a campsite within the reserve boundaries. We have booked 3 nights at the Brakah campsite outside of the reserve. However we would still love spending couple days in the reserve.

Anyone on this forum has booking in CKGR for August 16 and August 17 and would be willing to share their space with us. We are a couple in their 40's. We'll be traveling with a Toyota Hilux 4x4 with a roof tent.

Alternatively, we have read in places that we can stay just outside Matswere gate. Is this really an option we can consider given it is high season?

Thanks so much for all your help and advices.

Cheers,
    Francois

Default Re: CKGR August 2019

Joe, when you send an email, and you enquire about the hot spots campsites, you will get that response( FULLY booked). There is Phokoje and Lekhubu campsites, they are not my favourites BUT if you really want to stay inside the reserve and full equipped, you could get space there.
    I know calling its expensive from Outside, but i just came out sunday from the reserve, and did my bookings previous week and managed to even get Piper and Kori spots. I would advise you to call, ask them to look at their bookings and any space you get, go for it. You might get one night there and there, but if you don't mind getting it.
    I wouldn't advise at all to camp outside matswere because its a private properties (Farms) all the way to Matswere, there might not be fenced but those are cattle ranches. There is a campsite at Matswere, you can go for it. BUT I can tell you, if you call DWNP, you will find space at one of these (Lekhubu, Phokoje, Kukama).
    Brakah Campsite is a great campsite, with a lodge 3 kms away, where you can eat dinner or do the bushman walk. You can day trip from there to Deception valley, do quadbiking in the private reserve. There are animals there, including lions, cheetahs and impalas.
    Last edited by PAT n WOLF; 2019/07/25 at 06:57 PM.

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Hi Pat,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I will definitely call DWNP and see if there are any spaces left on the 3 campsites you mention. I didn't realize they were directly managing some of the campsites in the reserve. I thought they were all under private operators management.

You say that we can do day drive to deception pan from Brakah. How long would you say it takes do drive to the pan? Would it leave us decent time to stick around and observe wildlife without worrying too much about gate closing time?

Really appreciate you answering my message and giving tips to first time Botswana visitors

Cheers,
    Francois

You can also ask about the Deception sites while you are on the phone with them. They are managed by DWNP themselves as well, not private operators.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Couscous View Post
    Hi Pat,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I will definitely call DWNP and see if there are any spaces left on the 3 campsites you mention. I didn't realize they were directly managing some of the campsites in the reserve. I thought they were all under private operators management.

You say that we can do day drive to deception pan from Brakah. How long would you say it takes do drive to the pan? Would it leave us decent time to stick around and observe wildlife without worrying too much about gate closing time?

Really appreciate you answering my message and giving tips to first time Botswana visitors

Cheers,
    Francois
    Deception Campsites, Kori Campsites, Kukama (CKWIL08) all are managed by DWNP. Even though they are highly in demand, when you call, you might find space.
    CKWIL08 is a wilderness 10 kms away from Deception valley, and usually overlooked. I rarely see traffic there. You could find space there. Yes you can do a day trip from Brakah to Deception Valley. Even The Haina Lodge have a Dception Valley Day trip package, you could book with them if you feel like being driven. Its just 40 kms away, so you could be by Matswere entrance by 0630 when they open. BUT try calling DWNP first and Brakah as a last resort.

Thanks for all the info. I managed today to get Kori campsite #3 next August 17. Everything seems to be booked before and after (for DWNP and BigFoot campsites all together). I think we will stay in Brakah for few days before going to Kori Pan. We'll do day drive(s) to CKGR from Brakah. With your knowledge of the area, would you mind suggesting which area of the reserve we should focus on from Brakah (Deception Pan and others?) and from Kori Campsite.

Thank you so much again for all your valuable help. Really appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Francois

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Couscous View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I managed today to get Kori campsite #3 next August 17. Everything seems to be booked before and after (for DWNP and BigFoot campsites all together). I think we will stay in Brakah for few days before going to Kori Pan. We'll do day drive(s) to CKGR from Brakah. With your knowledge of the area, would you mind suggesting which area of the reserve we should focus on from Brakah (Deception Pan and others?) and from Kori Campsite.

Thank you so much again for all your valuable help. Really appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Francois
    You have two Day Trip Options:
    1) Leave Haina Kalahari Camp at 0530 and by 0630, when the park opens, you are by the entrance. Its just 40 kms through Phefodiafoka Gate. From Matswere entrance you game drive slowly all the way to Deception Valley. You will get there between 0830 an 0900. Stop for a breakfast and then continue to do the Deception Pan and then The Deception Loop. Fro there, game drive along the Deception Valley all the way to Letiahau water hole. You will probably get there by 1130 or 1200. Drive around the waterhole. There are many great trees with shade not far from the waterhole. Break there for lunch. By 1330, you can now drive your way back towards Deception Valley, and finally exite the reserve late afternoon.
    2) On arrival to Deception Valley, after breaking for tea, drive the Deception Pan and Loop, then make you way back towards the Leopard Pan (17 kms). Drive around leopard Pan all the way to Sunday Pan waterhole. Take a lunch break in one of the shades(Not by the waterhole). Then you can drive the 11 kms towards the mid-reserve cutline coming from Tau Pan lodge, then drive back towards Deception Valley. Then from there, make you way out of the Reserve.
    3) You could also make use of the Haina Lodge Reserve. It has animals, including the cats. You will be surprised how great the game drive is in there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Pat n Wolf,

Thanks so much for all the info. We'll base our daily trips to CKGR on your tips and we'll make sure to spend time in the Haina Lodge reserve as you suggest.

Cheers,
    Francois