Rear Camera Recommendations





Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    51
    Thanked: 13

    Cool Rear Camera Recommendations

    Hi all,

    Looking to install a camera on the back of our 80 series LC. My plan is to be able to use the camera for reversing but also for rear view when driving full loaded. Prefer to do this DIY, but would consider outsourcing if recommended. I haven't yet planned this in any detail.

    Any recommendations and tips would be appreciated, brands to consider, where to mount, where to run cabling, any wiring/connection tips etc.

    "They say clever people learn from their mistakes, wise people learn from other people's mistakes"
    Last edited by Absie; 2019/07/25 at 04:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    King Williams Town
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,333
    Thanked: 914

    Default Re: Rear Camera Recommendations

    I bought a cheap reverse camera that a guy bought off ebay. The display screen clips over your review mirror. I wired the live to a feed that when the ignition is on, the monitor has supply. The monitor has its own on/off button. The reverse wire which connects to the reverse light is also connected to the live feed. Thus when I reverse or drive forward, the camera works constantly and not just when I reverse.

    My monitor takes up to two cameras, so my second camera is fitted to my left side of canopy at the back, this helps when reversing out of parking lots. It is very simple to install these hard wired cameras yourself. Infact you can install 10 cameras with the system but would have to run them through a selector switch, but that is another topic for another day.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    51
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Rear Camera Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    I bought a cheap reverse camera that a guy bought off ebay. The display screen clips over your review mirror. I wired the live to a feed that when the ignition is on, the monitor has supply. The monitor has its own on/off button. The reverse wire which connects to the reverse light is also connected to the live feed. Thus when I reverse or drive forward, the camera works constantly and not just when I reverse.

    My monitor takes up to two cameras, so my second camera is fitted to my left side of canopy at the back, this helps when reversing out of parking lots. It is very simple to install these hard wired cameras yourself. Infact you can install 10 cameras with the system but would have to run them through a selector switch, but that is another topic for another day.
    Thanks Hunter. Any idea what the make is?

    Maybe I should have asked what brands to avoid.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Centurion, Pretoria, SA
    Age
    67
    Posts
    1,202
    Thanked: 327

    Default Re: Rear Camera Recommendations

    Evidently the wireless ones are inclined to pick up interference, particularly when fitted to the rear of a caravan.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    51
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Rear Camera Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Evidently the wireless ones are inclined to pick up interference, particularly when fitted to the rear of a caravan.
    Okay thanks, will avoid wireless then.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Palm Lakes Estate, Umhlali
    Age
    69
    Posts
    142
    Thanked: 81

    Default Re: Rear Camera Recommendations

    I bought an an ""el cheapo" from Deal Extreme on the Internet. Camera & screen, works well on the Landy, connected to reverse light.
    Has been working fo at least 4 years now.
    Cheers
    Graeme
    2010 Puma 2.4 110
    2014 Kuga 2.0 D Titanium
    4X4 Forum1089 & AG0047

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Graeme mcConnachie For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    King Williams Town
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,333
    Thanked: 914

    Default Re: Rear Camera Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Absie View Post
    Thanks Hunter. Any idea what the make is?

    Maybe I should have asked what brands to avoid.
    It was off the E bay sites elcheapo. You do get some nice fancy and better built ones in SA. Just Google Reverse cameras.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Centurion, Pretoria, SA
    Age
    67
    Posts
    1,202
    Thanked: 327

    Default Re: Rear Camera Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Absie View Post
    Okay thanks, will avoid wireless then.
    There is quite a long and elaborate discussion on rear view cameras on Caravan Parks Forum. Guy brings them in on o'seas trips and takes orders.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    51
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Rear Camera Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    There is quite a long and elaborate discussion on rear view cameras on Caravan Parks Forum. Guy brings them in on o'seas trips and takes orders.
    Thanks. Will check it out.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,252
    Thanked: 307

    Default Re: Rear Camera Recommendations

    See if you can get a camera with about 60 degree view. Then the size of objects behind are about the same as you would expect to see in a mirror. Something like a 120 degree view is very wide, and objects are already much closer than what you expect from the image.
    Also maybe see if you can hook 2 cameras with a selector switch. Then you can hook a second camera with mirror image view on your front bumper. That allows you to look "over the bonnet" at obstacles right in front of the car. For that camera a wide angle is useful.
    Make it happen!

    2018 Mobi Lodge

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toccata (Roelof) For This Useful Post:


  17. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    51
    Thanked: 13

    Thumbs up Re: Rear Camera Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Toccata (Roelof) View Post
    See if you can get a camera with about 60 degree view. Then the size of objects behind are about the same as you would expect to see in a mirror. Something like a 120 degree view is very wide, and objects are already much closer than what you expect from the image.
    Also maybe see if you can hook 2 cameras with a selector switch. Then you can hook a second camera with mirror image view on your front bumper. That allows you to look "over the bonnet" at obstacles right in front of the car. For that camera a wide angle is useful.
    Thank you for the advice. Your note on the view angle is particularly informative. I will also consider a camera on the front.

  18. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    63
    Posts
    205
    Thanked: 14

    Default Re: Rear Camera Recommendations

    Thank you
    You have only 1 life MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES !!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •