Do Not Start Overlanding Article - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Do Not Start Overlanding Article

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    When asked, I advise people considering a long overlanding trip through North, East and Southern Africa to budget something like 50-100US$ per day for man and wife combined, all told. A very rough estimate with many variables.
    @Stan
    I think you are accurate at the higher level of your range for over the RSA border trips to the north, however for overlanding within RSA, Eswatini (Eish), Botswana & Namibia I think that a budget of $50 is closer to the mark. (I am not including costs of unexpected serious vehicle breakdowns or serious health matters or accidents in remote areas).
    Some bush camping as and where safe and feasible helps to reduce the costs.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sidebar View Post
    So happy you guys enjoyed the article. True story, btw. After a few days in a house I begin to question my existence and have withdrawal symptoms!

I can share other articles if you guys would like me to.

I do not consider myself an "expert", the world has enough of those, but I have made enough mistakes for all of us so questions are welcome.
    I think a good write up on your mistake would make good reading.
    also follow you. need to get the book signed

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Muhghoo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sidebar View Post
    Hi Peter.

First, forgive me if I break forum etiquette now and then (I think I might have done just that ), I do not spend much time on forums.

Believe it or not Southern Europe is cheaper to overland than Africa in our experience, particularly France and Spain, Italy, Portugal and Greece. The food is cheaper and there are a million places where you can camp for free, safely, using the apps Park4Night and Wikiloc. And don't get me started on Turkey!

We are a family of four and while we are very good at saving a buck (we buy only what we need and reuse, repair and recycle everything) we blow the budget on food and wine - our luxury. But, if we ate pasta or vegetables every night, drank water and smoked hand caught trout we could get by with a lot less. Our second largest expense is fuel usually but in Southern Africa we have found ourselves paying a fortune for camping if we are not far off the beaten track.

We have a lot to re-learn about overlanding in Southern Africa, South Africa particularly.
    Sjoe!!!I started crying reading this!! Ek is nie seker of dit die verslawing, opgewondenheid of bangbroek vir ander kontinente is nie. Where do I start planning and get info about overlanding trips outside of Africa. We have done Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, and other southern countries. This post has now completely upset my everything. I wanna go everywhere!
    Any tips from where I should start planning would be appreciated. (Skuus as die ingels deurmekaar is - selfverdediging! )

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BessieC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BessieC View Post
    Sjoe!!!I started crying reading this!! Ek is nie seker of dit die verslawing, opgewondenheid of bangbroek vir ander kontinente is nie. Where do I start planning and get info about overlanding trips outside of Africa. We have done Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, and other southern countries. This post has now completely upset my everything. I wanna go everywhere!
    Any tips from where I should start planning would be appreciated. (Skuus as die ingels deurmekaar is - selfverdediging! )
    Peter, South America is incredible! We spent nearly 2 and a half years there and went to every country. In general the continent is very safe and welcoming to overland travel, especially Argentina and Chile where you can free camp in many places, the mountains and glaciers and wild open spaces are incredible and the food is awesome and not too expensive. Also as South Africans we need hardly any visas. You could get by very comfortably on R20 000 a month if you are living in your vehicle and penny pinching. Have a look at our friends website for inspiration, they are Swiss but there is an English option. http://www.pawsontour.com/iea/englis...h-version.html They explored far into the mountains solo. S America is the very best option for affordable long term overlanding, in my experience. Btw, our website is www.a2aexpedition.com, please forgive the pop ups.

Ps. Brazilians are amazing people but the country is huge and not very well developed north of Rio. There are some great roads and trails to explore though and the far north Amazon region is the land of true adventure.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Muhghoo View Post
    I think a good write up on your mistake would make good reading.
    also follow you. need to get the book signed
    Man, you have read my books, you know I make mistakes all the bloody time, difficult to narrow them down, but worth a try at least. Watch this space

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sidebar For This Useful Post:

I'm back in Africa. After the rat race. I'm home.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Spliffcat For This Useful Post:

This story has me sitting in front of the computer the whole day!!!I've been searching the whole day. How do one start planning touring other continents. We have travelled Southern Africa, but recently I've been wondering how easy or difficult it is to explore other places.
    I've seen Graeme mentioned Spain, Portugal etc. What would you guys suggest, is there books, blogs or who can we learn from. We have got time.....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BessieC For This Useful Post:

Subscribed

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Markus and Zelda For This Useful Post:

This story has me sitting in front of the computer the whole day!!!I've been searching the whole day. How do one start planning touring other continents. We have travelled Southern Africa, but recently I've been wondering how easy or difficult it is to explore other places.
    I've seen Graeme mentioned Spain, Portugal etc. What would you guys suggest, is there books, blogs or who can we learn from. We have got time.....
    I have written a book which explains exactly how anyone sufficiently motivated can travel Overland Internationally.

But I am not certain of forum etiquette, if I share a link to the ebook here will I be hung from the nearest tree?

Also, Facebook is a great resource, join the group which appeals to you ie Overland Europe. But beware, many of the FB pages are run for profit secretly. Politics.

Here is another of my articles which was recently published on Expedition Portal.

My friends the Barnsleys answer a few questions about Overlanding the world with children.

https://expeditionportal.com/a-look-...d-as-a-family/

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidebar For This Useful Post:

Here is a link to my friend Dan Grecs Wikioverland, he has worked tirelessly to compile reliable information for us international overlanders.

http://wikioverland.org/Main_Page

My husband, Frank, totally related to your addiction - but in relation to me; a 62yr old female "bush-requirer" who is ill at home between trips!! I have some amazing solo trips into Mabuasahube and the CKGR for 2 weeks at a time, and loved every minute - even changing 2 ripped tyres and coping with a leaking diesel tank!! and an over-eager lion that played with my solar shower hanging in the tree and got a fright when he ripped it and all the water drenched him

Will certainly continue to read your stories.

Thankyou

Charlotte
    1999 Isuzu Trooper - The Truck
    2002 Landcruiser 105 - The Grey Nomad

21. The Following User Says Thank You to trooper For This Useful Post:

Here is a link to an article about that time we broke down (clutch imploded) In the Rif mountains, Morocco. The Rif is where the famous Moroccan hashih is grown and we spent a few nights alone trying to get the old Landy running again. This was just after a couple of Scandinavian girls were beheaded in the Atlas mountains to the south.

https://www.craghoppers.com/communit...BrtT9zO85M9QoQ

23. The Following User Says Thank You to sidebar For This Useful Post:

And here is an article written for the Adventure Journal in the USA.

"We are intercontinental overlanders. Sounds glamorous, doesn’t it? Well it certainly is not. Adventurous is a better adjective. Throw challenging, expensive, dangerous, addictive, and liberating into the pot and you have a taste of our daily soup. If you had to ask me what is the greatest obstacle facing our tribe I would have to say bureaucracy. Cash deficiency comes in at a close second, but money can be earned. There is precious little any of us can do to change the demands of the planet’s omnipotent paper pushers".

https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...rder-crossing/
    Last edited by sidebar; 2019/08/30 at 10:18 AM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to sidebar For This Useful Post:

Tony Weaver, this one is for you. Mauritania into Senegal on Safarious.

https://www.safarious.com/article/15...-the-harmattan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2