Never too old to learn

Default Never too old to learn

Pajero Gen 3 3.8i LWB petrol

In discussion with a few mates around a beer or two (as you do) I was asked how the Pajero towed my trailer. My reply was that I put it in drive and at highway speeds I will also use the cruise control.

Well I was told this is wrong.

Better to use the manual option, put in 4th. This I was told will lock the torque converter up and you you will get one to one through the box.

My trailer is light, way less than 750kg, I have no lack of power and the box only hunts on steep up hills, so what is your opinion.

Please also state the weight you are towing.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Default Re: Never too old to learn

With the torque converter locked you should see a lower rpm which should safe some fuel.

See attached pics.

Its in the same gear, torque converter locked and not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190723_110154 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	534884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190723_110325 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	534885  
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2019/07/23 at 11:12 AM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

With my ex Gen 3 and the Echo 4 I used tow in "D". When it happens that I tow with Swambo's Gen 4. I do the same! No gearbox getting warm and taking strain as with some other vehicles towing in top gear.

....and I am sticking to that.

Bostoe

Thanks, and that Echo 4 is double the weight of Dinky.

I will try what DC has said though, never too old to learn.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

In the days that I used tow caravans with an automatic box (not 4x4) I used to overide the auto and drive it in 4th also changing into 3rd if deemed necessary when approaching a steep climb.
    This worked well with various (non-4x4) vehicles over the years.
    The auto box cannot anticipate the terrain coming up ahead of you (well maybe these days with AI etc, it can??)
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

My jeep has a "Haul" button that I use when towing heavy loads. When activated it only shifts up to 4th. I never use it for the Venter as the torque converter locks up in 5th

I keep a golf tee in my cup holder, my wife asked what is it for. I told her to put my balls on when driving. She thinks the Japanese are really clever and think of everything.

Sorry just had to. Only the yanks could come up with a button that says "Haul" Nifty feature though.

BMW R1200R

I towed by boat with my Gen 3 (1.8 Ton) and always in Drive.
    Never short of power and gearbox never hunted or overheated.
    Sure, it changed going uphill as appropriate but never hunted.

With my present Gen 4 I tow the caravan that is lighter at 950 Kg and also tow in D.
    No hunting or overheating issues.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Diversions For This Useful Post:

I assume you have SuperSelect ?? (Don't know the Pajero's at all)

If so, also switch to 4H (AWD)... Makes a HUGE difference even with a 750kg trailertjie....

2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 6 Auto Diesel
    Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SinWolf For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SinWolf View Post
    I assume you have SuperSelect ?? (Don't know the Pajero's at all)

If so, also switch to 4H (AWD)... Makes a HUGE difference even with a 750kg trailertjie....
    Agreed, I do this often on twisty mountain roads, especially when you w ant to keep that momentum going on the uphill. It is the gear selection or "D" that is the conundrum.

BMW R1200R

Mr Stranger,

1) the auto box doesn't really have a direct drive in 4th, like the manual (even if the ratio is 1:1). So that perceived benefit of locking it in 4th isn't quite true.
    2) when your car is under load, all you have to do is keep an eye on the revs to see if the lock-up clutch is engaged or not. The speed you cruise at will have a big impact how the box will react. Your lovely 3.8V6 will happily tow your trailer at 110 in 5th (tiptronic or auto) and only gear down for hills. What you need to consider is whether the lock-up is going in and out all the time. My experience is that it does and the only way to prevent that from happening is to either speed up to 120-ish or to drop down to 4th.
    3) the long term effect of either continued gear changes or lock-up clutch inning and outing the whole time, is clutch wear and higher tranny oil temps. Clutch wear also contaminates the oil with logical long term negative effects.
    4) I used to lock my 3.8V6 Pajero in 4th when I towed my Echo Chobe. The cruise would be locked at 3000rpm. That is somewhere north of 100km/h and unstoppable power for anything but the steepest mountain pass.

By running in auto you are not breaking your box, but it is my personal opinion that if the box had a voice, it wouldn't be thanking you.

My current Chevy has 6 gears and a tranny oil temperature readout. I use the box in exactly the same way, when towing the same Chobe, by sticking it in 5th, with 2000rpm from the old diesel burner. I have experimented tranny temps with auto vs tiptronic (at one gear down) under load and the tiptronic runs at 15°C less.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2019/07/24 at 10:27 AM.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

I don't have any background knowledge of this graphic, but it is something to consider and research some more.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Agreed, I do this often on twisty mountain roads, especially when you w ant to keep that momentum going on the uphill. It is the gear selection or "D" that is the conundrum.
    Under these conditions you have to consider your car's forward looking radar capabilities and how that is interfaced with the tranny computer.
    If you happen to be driving something cheap and nasty that doesn't have the benefit of forward looking radar, then I suggest you step up and take over that role.
    My logic is the same as my previous long winded story. I personally try to avoid unnecessary up and down gear changes and lock-up clutch fiddling.
    As a matter of fact, even the designers tried to avoid those unnecessary gear changes by keeping the lower gear (when automatically selected on a steep hill) for quite a few seconds after you have crested the hill before changing up again. We know how often it happens that long climbs have flat-ish sections where the box will gear up, only to have to drop the gear a few seconds later. Those are the conditions where I will slap the lever to tiptronic and ride out the complete hill before grabbing top again.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

I use 3 different tow vehicles, 2 petrol and 1 diesel (per signature) and all auto.

I meticulously keep an eye on the rev counter and as soon as the torque converter unlocks I will gear down and make sure it locks up again as soon as possible, playing around with the load peddle. The diesel of course is just so much easier for towing, the 2.8 Hilux tows my heavy Ratel a lot better/easier than my V8 petrol Cruiser.

Both Hilux and V8 Cruiser is 6-speed and I always manually select 5th (in S-mode) and gear down on the stick if the torque converter unlocks.

As mentioned it heavily depends on your speed and conditions, the Hilux in D will select 6th with the Ratel in tow if I reach ~135Km/h (unsafe I know), but I prefer manual and 5th.

Personally I'd only drive it in manual mode towing something less than 750Kg when it starts unlocking in strong windy conditions, hilly country or where traffic/conditions don't allow for speeds above 100Km/h.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

So there it is! "Forward looking radar" linked to the automatic box software .... as I said: "AI".

My old vehicles did not have any of that and in fact the Suuz is a manual 5 speed box anyway - the others were automatic (5 speed) and sophisticated for their time - but Eish, no forward looking stuff - so I changed manually on the auto box.

OT:
    Just a different way to skin the cat.

(I have never worked out why anyone would want to skin a cat anyway?) - De-cat, yes, i can understand that.
    Time for me to speak to my grandchildren again and they can explain all this to me as they do with cell phones, tablets .....
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Bit of a different combination but still Pajero.

3.2 DID 140 kw auto towing a Jurgens Xplorer 1.8 Ton:

Doing 100 kph I will leave it in auto and allow the box to do its thing.

Doing 100 kph in hilly terrain I will manually select 4th until the road flattens out.

Doing 120 kph I will leave it in auto and allow the box to do its thing.

Any hilly terrain I will select 4th manually and this deals with all the ups and downs except some nasty ones when 3rd is required.

Sometimes I forgets and the box is in auto and the hill is too steep and 4th is not good enough and cruise control kicks out. Groot skrik!
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsu Fan For This Useful Post:

I used to tow my Xplorer with my 3.2 Pajero gen4 auto in auto. I think if you drive 80km/h to 100km/h going manual mode might be good but if you go above 100km/h and keep it in 4th the engine just sounded too strained, I did however look at hills on the horizon and instead of going to manual mode to move it down to 4th, I just pushed down on the accelerator and the box automatically kicked down to 4th in anticipation. I seldom drove with speedcontrol when towing. I found with speedcontrol my fuel consumption was more than my manual input which could read terrain with my eyes, no radar needed :-)

CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)