Camp Syncro is open again

Default Camp Syncro is open again

Camp Syncro in the Marienfluss is open again. Very basic, as it has always been, but it's up and running again.

https://campsyncroweb.wixsite.com/campsyncro
    Last edited by Dirk; 2019/07/22 at 09:18 PM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Default Re: Camp Syncro is open again

Good to see...We were there in 2014...shortly after the place burnt down and was in the process of being rebuilt by a young foreign couple..

The views from Syncro over the Kunene into Angola are spectacular and that stretch of road in the Marienfluss from Van Zyl's is absolutely stunning..
    Last edited by Landy90fan; 2019/07/22 at 09:37 PM.
    2006 Defender 90 CSW Td 5
    Nissan Patrol 3 lt V-6 d/c - sold

Nothing is ever what it seems.....:

The ''Bitterness of Poor Quality remains long after the Sweetness of Low Price.....''

Does anyone know who is running Camp Syncro now and who are the new owners?
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Camp Syncro in the Marienfluss is open again. Very basic, as it has always been, but it's up and running again.

https://campsyncroweb.wixsite.com/campsyncro
    Stan, I think the couple are still running it from Switzerland. I very nearly brought it but my cancer came back and that was the end of the deal.I believe that I still have their email.There was a post on the camp for last xmas and it was not good.

Good news!

From their website: "Anna Paula Santo, African woman and long time resident of the Marienfluss is the new owner of Camp Syncro."

They also mention that they don't have mattresses on their beds - their explanation is cut off. Not a problem if you camp.

I hope it takes off properly!
    The dilemma is whether the nearby community campsite at Okarohombo, also on the river, might be a better bet until more details emerge? I liked that community campsite with its lovely shady trees and decent enough facilities when we were last there. I also quite enjoy supporting the local community.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Does anyone know who is running Camp Syncro now and who are the new owners?
    The Swiss couple left in Feb 2019. They gave Syncro to Anna. I don’t think you ever own the land, just the infrastructure really.

Below is based on June 2019 visit:

Anna’s son, Janice pronounced Ja(maica) nice (as in ‘nice’ weather) manages the place. I suspect he set up the website and is the one who will answer the number given on their website. Had a long chat to him, he’s about 30 and lives in Opuwo and visits the camp from time to time. He seems well schooled, pleasant guy. Not sure how he’ll do the bookings from Opuwo because there is no contact with Syncro but anyway.
    There is a local Himba lady, Smith, who takes care of the day to day running of the camp. She’s very jacked up, communication absolutely no problem. I see she was part of the original staff so that explains her knowledge.
    Although the battery banks are still in the main house, the solar panels have long since been removed so there is no power. Having seen all the sewage being discharged into the river upstream (Epupa falls etc) I would definitely not drink the water from the river although it is used for the showers etc. Hot water uses ‘donkey’….if you need hot water, it’s hot up there!
    Go there with the view of being self-sufficient and view the toilets and shower as a bonus.

The sites themselves are swept regularly and cleaned well. The ablutions were basic but clean.

We took a look at the bungalows for interest sakes and although fairly spacious (and airy), the bed is not really usable in my opinion, in the one bungalow it was just chipboard on wooden crates (roughly 2.5x2.5 so impractical too). Unless they spend some money, I would classify the bungalows as being useful to have your own toilet, shower and storage, braai and private kuier area but would definitely still camp.

FROM OLD WEBSITE
    CAMP SYNCRO - The Kunene legend in the Marienfluss Valley!
    UPDATE
    Dear all
    We herewith inform you that as of end of February 2019 we are no longer involved with the business of Camp Syncro in the Marienfluss Valley.
    Our former employee, Anna, takes over the business.
    We wish her and the rest of the team all the best for the future!!!
    And we hope you all will continue to visit Camp Syncro!

THANK YOU all for the great memories!!!

Ryan, Sarah & Dylan

Some interesting newsletters from the previous owners if interestedhttp://campsyncro.com/news-letter?fb...VhWY978F6Wwpcg
    Last edited by Leanercamper; 2019/07/23 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leanercamper View Post
    The Swiss couple left in Feb 2019. They gave Syncro to Anna. I don’t think you ever own the land, just the infrastructure really.

Below is based on June 2019 visit:

Anna’s son, Janice pronounced Ja(maica) nice (as in ‘nice’ weather) manages the place. I suspect he set up the website and is the one who will answer the number given on their website. Had a long chat to him, he’s about 30 and lives in Opuwo and visits the camp from time to time. He seems well schooled, pleasant guy. Not sure how he’ll do the bookings from Opuwo because there is no contact with Syncro but anyway.
    There is a local Himba lady, Smith, who takes care of the day to day running of the camp. She’s very jacked up, communication absolutely no problem. I see she was part of the original staff so that explains her knowledge.
    Although the battery banks are still in the main house, the solar panels have long since been removed so there is no power. Having seen all the sewage being discharged into the river upstream (Epupa falls etc) I would definitely not drink the water from the river although it is used for the showers etc. Hot water uses ‘donkey’….if you need hot water, it’s hot up there!
    Go there with the view of being self-sufficient and view the toilets and shower as a bonus.

The sites themselves are swept regularly and cleaned well. The ablutions were basic but clean.

We took a look at the bungalows for interest sakes and although fairly spacious (and airy), the bed is not really usable in my opinion, in the one bungalow it was just chipboard on wooden crates (roughly 2.5x2.5 so impractical too). Unless they spend some money, I would classify the bungalows as being useful to have your own toilet, shower and storage, braai and private kuier area but would definitely still camp.

FROM OLD WEBSITE
    CAMP SYNCRO - The Kunene legend in the Marienfluss Valley!
    UPDATE
    Dear all
    We herewith inform you that as of end of February 2019 we are no longer involved with the business of Camp Syncro in the Marienfluss Valley.
    Our former employee, Anna, takes over the business.
    We wish her and the rest of the team all the best for the future!!!
    And we hope you all will continue to visit Camp Syncro!

THANK YOU all for the great memories!!!

Ryan, Sarah & Dylan

Some interesting newsletters from the previous owners if interestedhttp://campsyncro.com/news-letter?fb...VhWY978F6Wwpcg
    What a pity it did not work out for them. I had the sense when I visited that it may be a bridge too far....but...having the balls to try speaks volume for their characters...
    Last edited by Landy90fan; 2019/07/23 at 12:44 PM.

The ''Bitterness of Poor Quality remains long after the Sweetness of Low Price.....''

Quote Originally Posted by Landy90fan View Post
    What a pity it did not work out for them. I had the sense when I visited that it may be a bridge too far....but...having the balls to try speaks volume for their characters...
    Th,They were very successful.main reason they left was because of the children and the remote location for emergency

Quote Originally Posted by redondo1955 View Post
    Th,They were very successful.main reason they left was because of the children and the remote location for emergency
    I understand but one would have thought, being a young couple....a baby should have been factored in...hope they didn't lose out on their sterling efforts...

In any event...I want to go that way again and hope Syncro remains a viable stopover...

From what they told us when we were there, the birth of their baby was pretty hectic! The kid was born at Syncro unexpectedly early, with complications, and they had to rush to Windhoek (as much as you can rush on those roads) with a mom who was also in trouble from what I remember. But all well and recovered when we spoke to them (I think it all happened a month or two before we were there)

Big respect for that mom and dad.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
    From what they told us when we were there, the birth of their baby was pretty hectic! The kid was born at Syncro unexpectedly early, with complications, and they had to rush to Windhoek (as much as you can rush on those roads) with a mom who was also in trouble from what I remember. But all well and recovered when we spoke to them (I think it all happened a month or two before we were there)

Big respect for that mom and dad.
    Respect indeed. When looking at remote living, I can't fail but think of medical emergencies we went through, like a burst appendix and similar. Even tar roads are harsh traveling with these emergencies to get to hospitals. Airlifting would be the only choice from there, if you had the means of summoning one, and paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by redondo1955 View Post
    Stan, I think the couple are still running it from Switzerland.
    Anna Paulo has been at Camp Syncro since the beginning, when Koos Verwy built it. She has been doing everything at that camp back then, from being a chef to a builder.

Unfortunately during the time the Swiss people owned Camp Syncro, it has deteriorated a lot, partially due to flood damage which hasn’t been repaired or simply due to neglect. During this time of the Swiss reign the mattresses disappeared, too. I’m sure they will be replaced in due time. For now just use the place as a camp site.

Those who remember Camp Syncro from the old days would probably remember Anna Paulo.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

i was there last week and to me the main problem is only one campsite has shade , but its a big one . rates are same as community camp at 150 pppn . Anna has been with Koos 20 years or more but wont be able to practice her chef skilĺs unless you bring the food. She doesnt have the capitalisation to support vehicles , travel for supplies etc . I was there in 2010 when it burnt so i can see the good work the swiss couple did . The cabins are great but lack matresses so fine if you use your own . They we 200 pppn so not exhorbitant. Best of luck to her .