Ford, CANBUS and modern stupidity

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ford, CANBUS and modern stupidity

so thinking that a model year 2016 ranger built in SA would be the equivalent to the Australian 2016 PXII, i ordered some LED headlamps from a reputable Aussie seller. Not cheap stuff but high quality. Install went fairly well, though it's insane that you have to remove the battery to change the left side lamp, unless you have the hands of a 10 year old.

lights were amazingly bright--for 15 seconds, when the stupid BCM shut down my headlamp circuit. yup! the bloody SA built 2016 is NOT the same as the Aussie built 2016.

What the $*&! is with ford and the ridiculously different model designations? PK, PX, PXI, PXII, PXIII, T6, T7 and who knows how many others. In the US there is no designation other than trim level.

and what the $*&! is the point in having the BCM shut off the headlamp circuit just because a bulb burns out? headlamps and other bulbs having burning out for 100 years without any major catastrophic (or any for that matter) effects? aside from forcing people to take their cars to the dealer for a reset....i think there may be a lawsuit somewhere in all of this.
    2016 XL 3.2 4x4 6 spd

Default Re: Ford, CANBUS and modern stupidity

Far as I know there are no Aussie built Rangers, the Aussie Ford factory shut down some years ago and if not built in SA it was probably built in Thailand? And no its not that the BCM shuts down if a bulb blows, it does so however if a bulb drawing more current is fitted...thats akin to a trip. The BCM can be reset by the agents though but only 3 times if I am correct...thereafter the BCM must be replaced. To answer your original question...yes its true that even the same models but built in different countries may (and probably will!) differ in some respects! Ford SA builds for a large number of countries and even if built in SA the vehicles differ depending on the country destination...
    Last edited by jorgl; 2019/07/22 at 03:34 PM.

Ja jong. I agree. The installation of a non-spec headlight should not do this.

I really have to think that the coders are being stupid. I cannot fathom the logic. There are still fuses to protect the harness. And just because the BCM detects LESS current draw, it shouldn't drop the lighting circuit system. What SHOULD happen is you should get a dashboard warning and an error code.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jorgl View Post
    And no its not that the BCM shuts down if a bulb blows, it does so however if a bulb drawing more current is fitted...thats akin to a trip.
    Last time I looked, LED had less current draw than incandescent H-whatever...........
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Have you tried to reset the BCM?

I have had this with a Ranger after a repair. Brights worked, but no dimms, or the other way around, I can't remember. Reset the BCM and it was working fine.
    Current: 2013 Honda Insight Hybrid CVT
    Ex:
    2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T Geartronic

SWAMBO: 2011 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Geartronic

Had exactly the same with a Aussie led kit with a 2015 3.2
    Right headlight only works on bright
    Local radio electronics made up a harness with 2 relays from left headlight and 4 months later still working no error codes or dash warning lights
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

This headlight problem is common with the Ranger. The police here have only brights on these vehicles and have to use blues, parks and flashers when another vehicle comes from the opposite direction at night if they don't want to blind them. The only way to repair is a reset of the computer at the agents, which are over 200km from us. I don't know why Ford went in this ridiculous direction with their coding.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

i removed the LED's and put the originals back in. works without having to reset the BCM. Had to order the CANBUS cancellation module and will try again once it arrives.

as for Aussie built vs. Thai, perhaps they are built in Thailand but for the aussie market. I absolutely understand different stuff for different markets. But headlights are headlights. I doubt that an F150 is much if at all different wherever it is sold. For one, the F150 is the F150 wherever it is sold and does not have confusingly different designations, such as T6, PXII etc etc.
    Last edited by termnalvee; 2019/07/23 at 04:00 AM.
    2016 XL 3.2 4x4 6 spd

Can you tell me which AUS shop you bought them from as i want to buy from STEDI in AUS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Maiden View Post
    Can you tell me which AUS shop you bought them from as i want to buy from STEDI in AUS.
    bought them from Stedi. Good people. Just make sure you are buying the right kit, as they don't specify non-aussie model types.
    2016 XL 3.2 4x4 6 spd

Quote Originally Posted by termnalvee View Post
    bought them from Stedi. Good people. Just make sure you are buying the right kit, as they don't specify non-aussie model types.
    Also bought from Stedi including the canbus cancellation units but still lost dims on right. Putting back original globes H4 still no dims on right but left which works the 2 relays one for bright one for dims still working ok
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by richarda View Post
    Also bought from Stedi including the canbus cancellation units but still lost dims on right. Putting back original globes H4 still no dims on right but left which works the 2 relays one for bright one for dims still working ok
    did have your BCM reset?
    2016 XL 3.2 4x4 6 spd

did have your BCM reset?
    No reset. Working ok as left headlight still works on dim and bright and this works the relays. The canbus modules from Stedi still caused a Bcm issue but got around it by relays
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

i've read a lot about LED conversion on the ranger and this is the first i've heard of a single headlamp not working because of BCM issues. far as i know, both are on a single circuit. when the bcm detects a current draw anomaly--too low or high--it kills the circuit. but you should try getting the bcm reset in case i'm wrong--which happens a bit.

i'll report back once i have the canbus modules from STEDI and re-install the kit.
    Last edited by termnalvee; 2019/07/24 at 03:46 AM.
    2016 XL 3.2 4x4 6 spd

Thats annoying, if they could just keep it simple everyone would be happy
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

i've read a lot about LED conversion on the ranger and this is the first i've heard of a single headlamp not working because of BCM issues. far as i know, both are on a single circuit. when the bcm detects a current draw anomaly--too low or high--it kills the circuit. but you should try getting the bcm reset in case i'm wrong--which happens a bit.

i'll report back once i have the canbus modules from STEDI and re-install the kit.

Not the same circuit, it has seperate wiring to the BCM and it can be tripped individually aswell, the error code references LEFT/RIGHT
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2012 VW Polo GTi
    ex 2008 Audi A4 TDi
    ex 1998 Honda Civic Vtec
    ex 1998 Toyota Conquest RSi

Quote Originally Posted by rambo7 View Post
    Not the same circuit, it has seperate wiring to the BCM and it can be tripped individually aswell, the error code references LEFT/RIGHT
    and there ya go! i'm wrong. all the more reason he should have the bcm reset, since it's likely the cause of the single headlight not working.
    2016 XL 3.2 4x4 6 spd

and there ya go! i'm wrong. all the more reason he should have the bcm reset, since it's likely the cause of the single headlight not working.
    To reset the BCM will result in right front still not working on dim after 15 seconds if LED gloves are in
    The setup by running from 2 relays off left headlight allows me to run the H4 LED globes with as far as I can see no issues with any warning lights or error codes
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

I think to be save you can add a small relay circuit with resistors to trick BCM. I have heard that the 2012-2015 model year has a more sensitive BCM unit. Some of those BCMs probably had an overflow to the 2016 model year. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If the BCM can only be reset 3 times then it will be removed and replaced by a relay setup which is much easier to control. It is pure profit mongering by Ford trying to bully people into buying new BCM every so often.
    2006 Ford Ranger 4000 V6 - Sold
    1990 Honda Ballade 160i - Sold
    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL 4x4 double cab
    Built Ford Tough.

Also its worth noting that the T6 is the chassis designation. So 2012 - 2018 model year are all T6 with the 2012- 2015 MY being PX model, the facelift 2016 - 2018 PX II as far as I know. I don't know whether the new 2019 MY is maybe PX III.
    Also with transition model years it's difficult to know what you have.
    Last edited by 4xFord; 2019/07/29 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
    2006 Ford Ranger 4000 V6 - Sold
    1990 Honda Ballade 160i - Sold
    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL 4x4 double cab
    Built Ford Tough.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast