Ford, CANBUS and modern stupidity - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Ford, CANBUS and modern stupidity

For anyone interested, I was able to reset the BCM on my 2015 Ranger by disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes.

The first time time I tried it, the "error" moved from the left to the right side, which was a bit odd but I think I had only disconnected the battery for 5 minutes or so.
    Last edited by tadhgocuilleain; 2019/07/25 at 09:22 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tadhgocuilleain For This Useful Post:

When I bought my 2014 Wildtrack a couple of years ago I asked Extreme Lights in Stellenbosch about LEDs for it and their answer was a definitive no as the canbus thing will see it as a bulb failure & give you grief.
    Likewise Ford's inability to factory fit an alarm system with no option to arm it with the interior movement sensors off so you can leave your dog/child or whatever in the car without it going off. It's only ever fully on even when locking the drivers door manually with the key not the fob.

The guys at www.4xlight.com are local and distribute the Stedi product plus all accessories.
    They have the ones for SA models and can perhaps help you
    Last edited by Dikdaan; 2019/07/29 at 08:34 AM.
    2019 Ford Ranger 2.2 D/Cab Auto 4x4
    2019 Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi

Quote Originally Posted by davidpreutz View Post
    When I bought my 2014 Wildtrack a couple of years ago I asked Extreme Lights in Stellenbosch about LEDs for it and their answer was a definitive no as the canbus thing will see it as a bulb failure & give you grief.
    Likewise Ford's inability to factory fit an alarm system with no option to arm it with the interior movement sensors off so you can leave your dog/child or whatever in the car without it going off. It's only ever fully on even when locking the drivers door manually with the key not the fob.
    The newer rangers do have this facility,,,,mine does. Guess it depends on what model you have, thats why some are more expensive than others

Quote Originally Posted by Dikdaan View Post
    The guys at www.4xlight.com are local and distribute the Stedi product plus all accessories.
    They have the ones for SA models and can perhaps help you
    I liased extensively with Stedi Australia
    My daughter who lives in Sydney brought out a set of H4 INCLUDING THE CANBUS MODULE
    Guess what. Canbus stopped dim working on right so wired via 2 relays from left. 6 months later all still working
    I would be very interested to see what experience 4xlight have on local Rangers Mine is a 2015 3.2 supercab
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

apparently, the kit needed for my bakkie is the same used for euro/NZ models. the additional modules arrived and i'll have them installed about the 11th, since i'll be away from the vehicle until the 10th. will report back after.

this time though, i will test them in my neighborhood so as not to be forced to drive 20kms at night with no headlights!
    2016 XL 3.2 4x4 6 spd

Quote Originally Posted by jorgl View Post
    The newer rangers do have this facility,,,,mine does. Guess it depends on what model you have, thats why some are more expensive than others
    sounds like he has the 2014, simple solution is to use prestic and stick it over the 2 ultrasonic sensors to the sides of the interior light...problem solved, i did this often when the dogs takes a drive with us
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2012 VW Polo GTi
    ex 2008 Audi A4 TDi
    ex 1998 Honda Civic Vtec
    ex 1998 Toyota Conquest RSi

Hi
    Can a obd2 device with the right app be used to cancel whatever error code is in the canbus due to led globes ?
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by jorgl View Post
    Far as I know there are no Aussie built Rangers, the Aussie Ford factory shut down some years ago and if not built in SA it was probably built in Thailand? And no its not that the BCM shuts down if a bulb blows, it does so however if a bulb drawing more current is fitted...thats akin to a trip. The BCM can be reset by the agents though but only 3 times if I am correct...thereafter the BCM must be replaced. To answer your original question...yes its true that even the same models but built in different countries may (and probably will!) differ in some respects! Ford SA builds for a large number of countries and even if built in SA the vehicles differ depending on the country destination...
    I bought my LEDs off Ebay for R126 at the time. I've had them in now for over a year, I had no issues whatsoever. I first tried a HID kit from Takealot and with that it would come on and about 1 minute later or even sometimes 20 minutes later it would switch off. All it took for me was to switch off the lights and the switch them on again. But I can't complain one it about my LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by termnalvee View Post
    apparently, the kit needed for my bakkie is the same used for euro/NZ models. the additional modules arrived and i'll have them installed about the 11th, since i'll be away from the vehicle until the 10th. will report back after.

this time though, i will test them in my neighborhood so as not to be forced to drive 20kms at night with no headlights!
    Have you come right with this? As I'm looking to do the same thing. The Ranger lights are quite the downgrade from what I had before.
    Last edited by PugRC; 2019/08/17 at 10:06 PM.

yes. installing the modules was only slightly painful, as they are large and with all the bilk of the led lamp, there's not a helluva lot room left. but, eventually they went in. lights are really nice. major difference from the oem piss yellow lamps. are they worth the big $$$? maybe. though i don't drive much at night, when i do, it's usually out in middle of nowhere with no man-made lights and lots of curves, bumps, dips and the more than occasional large animal. so, while a set of real driving lights would be optimal, i have no desire to change the front bumper or add a bull bar, so i'm stuck with these upgraded headlamps.
    2016 XL 3.2 4x4 6 spd

13. The Following User Says Thank You to termnalvee For This Useful Post:

So if you donít mind me asking what did the setup set you back?
    I want to upgrade the stock headlights and will later on get a nudge bar and with that a LED bar/spots.
    I just recently bought mine and coming from Audi with their LED Matrix headlights Iím used to better.
    Just donít want to spend unnecessary $$$ if itís not worth it.
    2019 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT Auto 2x4(White)
    2011 Jeep Wrangler 3.8 Rubicon (White)

low beams were $118.27 + $26.41 S&H
    modules were $27.26 + $26.41 S&H

prices in aussie dollars
    2016 XL 3.2 4x4 6 spd

16. The Following User Says Thank You to termnalvee For This Useful Post:

I have a problem with my low beams, when passing some imperfections in the road it goes off, it also happens sometimes when flashing the high beams. My truck is new, but I replaced the headlights the very same day I got it. I ordered a forscan dongle, but haven't received yet, so I can't enter the bcm to try to reset it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ranger xlsf.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	538077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ranger xls.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	538078  

replaced with what is the first question.

second is it sounds like you have a loose connection. if the bcm is involved, it would kill the circuit to the offending headlight and in my experience, not turn it back on unless you cycle the system (shut off engine). so if bumps in the road are causing your lights to shut off, it probably not the bcm.
    2016 XL 3.2 4x4 6 spd

Quote Originally Posted by moses_dx View Post

I have a problem with my low beams, when passing some imperfections in the road it goes off, it also happens sometimes when flashing the high beams. My truck is new, but I replaced the headlights the very same day I got it. I ordered a forscan dongle, but haven't received yet, so I can't enter the bcm to try to reset it
    Loose connection, check the wiring, test continuity
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2012 VW Polo GTi
    ex 2008 Audi A4 TDi
    ex 1998 Honda Civic Vtec
    ex 1998 Toyota Conquest RSi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2