Water available at matswere entrance (ckgr)

Default Water available at matswere entrance (ckgr)

The well at Matswere entrance Gate has been repaired and now you can get water there. The problem is that, safari operators bring large containers and you might be delayed for a while in a line. The firewood that was being sold there, i guests its finished because I found none.

Just to update those who will be heading this side, left the reserve last night, all the way to Rakops. Drove straight from Piper Pans to Rakops. Most of the tracks are dusty, the last 30 kms enroute to Piper from Deception is bit sandy with corrugations.
    First day was staying at Deception and was great. I first saw two Male cheetahs laying under a tree right by Deception Pan. The were relaxed, full belly. Just a kilometre away, next to the road, I saw a mother cheetah, with some cute, 3 young cubs.

Letiahau lived up to the expectation. Saw a lion pride of 4 lions, big male and a female with two sub adults. The female was injured, suspected snake bite and her front arm swollen.

Piper Pans is special. No doubt about it. On arrival, saw large herd of wildebeests and springboks. The afternoon was boring and then early morning, drove to the waterhole, and thats when the two males came for a drink. They were roaring and one female arrived. The campsite CKPIP01 has no shade, if you want to relax during the day, you have to have the vehicle shade or drive somewhere to break the day. The shower had a bucket.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Water available at matswere entrance (ckgr)

Thanks for the feedback Pat. I am really very envious that you have the priviledge of visiting CKGR regularly.
    Is the waterhole at Letiahau now functioning again after the drainage for toxic algal/fungal infestation?
    The wood supply at Matswere Gate has unforunately been very erratic at times in my experience.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Yip envious indeed. What a privilege to have this great park on your doorstep.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Thanks Stan and Christa. Im very fortunate to be leaving just on the doors steps of this great wilderness. The more trips I do to this place, the more I realise that, whether its rainy season or dry season, the sighting are awesome. I missed a sighting, that up to now im beating my head down, why didn't I come early. Two leopards took down a gemsbok calve just after Lekhubu CKWIL07 campsite and they stayed with the carcas for three day. Everyone I met saw the whole thing and I missed. Hope it will come in one of the Trip Reports from forum member.
    Stan, Letiahau Waterhole has plenty of water. If you see my April report I mentioned the tenders for all the CKGR waterholes to be repaired and all I have visited in the couple of months (Motopi, Passage,Sunday, Letiahau, Piper ) were working well.
    Last edited by PAT n WOLF; 2019/07/22 at 03:47 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

A second vote for envious. We are in CKGR for only the second time, beginning Oct 6, and if we have half the sightings that you encountered will consider the experience outstanding. Having said that, we will be happy for whatever we come across, even if it is just the solitude. Thank you for this information.
    Can you tell me how long it took to drive from Piper to Rakops in one day? Our second last night is at Piper1, and are breaking up the drive out via Rakops with a final night at Kori2.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
    A second vote for envious. We are in CKGR for only the second time, beginning Oct 6, and if we have half the sightings that you encountered will consider the experience outstanding. Having said that, we will be happy for whatever we come across, even if it is just the solitude. Thank you for this information.
    Can you tell me how long it took to drive from Piper to Rakops in one day? Our second last night is at Piper1, and are breaking up the drive out via Rakops with a final night at Kori2.
    Thanks
    Hie Hollydog
    I woke up around 0550 and left camp at 0630 anddrove to the waterhole. Photographed the lions at the waterhole and by 0830 Ileft. I had already packed everything before going on a game drive, as I wantedto leave straight aware from the waterhole. I usually drive slowly,between 20-40 km/h. I arrived at Deception by 12:00. Had lunch and somerelaxing. Then left Deception by 1400 and drove slowly out. You can doPiper-Rakops 5-7 hours. For me I wasn't in any hurry,so it depends much how faryou are going or how many sightings you come along.

Thanks Pat.