Local knowledge Naxi to Rakops

Default Local knowledge Naxi to Rakops

hi
    We plan to go from Maun to Naxi Pan and then down to CKGR deception via Rakops.

Question is can we use a shortcut -the sand ridge road through the makgadikgadi pan NP on the way to Rakops or does it require access /permits ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Pajero Sport 2013 3.2 A/T

Default Re: Local knowledge Naxi to Rakops

Its a national park so you will have to pay day fees - last year it was very thick sand and slow going (a lot worse than the entry road to Nxai Pan). Quicker to go on the tar road if you are in a hurry to get to Rakops.

I would take the route through Makgadikgadi NP for the simple reason that you get to explore more of the national parks. I had no problem with the route (note: I do not tow) and found it easier than the Nxai Pan road until close to Xhumaga where it gets softer. If you leave Nxai Pan early the sand will be harder for most of the trip. We did Nxai to Deception Pan on this route last year, including fuel, wood, small stock-up in Rakops last year quite comfortably. The bigger limitation might be the operation of the ferry if the river is too deep to drive.
    Andrew

Land Cruiser 76 (4.2)

Just note that there is no official park entry gate at the beginning of that 'track'. Thus you are technically not allowed to enter there.

Also do not confuse it with the track next to the Boteti from Phuhududu gate which is very sandy. That track is not shown on the screenshot neither is Phuhududu gate which is more to the west.

I would take the tar road for the simple reason to get into the CKGR as early as possible. Remember the structure of park fees has now changed and you will be charged for the day of your arrival in the CKGR whether you arrive at midday or a 5 in the afternoon. Plus you will pay a full day park entry fees for MNP.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/07/22 at 09:01 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Just note that there is no official park entry gate at the beginning of that 'track'. Thus you are technically not allowed to enter there.

Also do not confuse it with the track next to the Boteti from Phuhududu gate which is very sandy. That track is not shown on the screenshot neither is Phuhududu gate which is more to the west.
    The track shown in the OP's message is the legal Phuduhudu entrance gate road. It links with the old track and only joins the Boteti further south.
    Andrew

Land Cruiser 76 (4.2)

Quote Originally Posted by AMacAfrica View Post
    The track shown in the OP's message is the legal Phuduhudu entrance gate road.
    Ok fair enough.

I will still take the tar however.

OP also does not mention the time of year of the intended visit and if he is towing. Might play a role.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/07/22 at 09:23 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes