Xplorer Battery/Hercules 20

Default Xplorer Battery/Hercules 20

Hi
    I have a 2016 Xplorer. All the internal lights and fridge works when plugged in to the mains outlet, but nothing when the mains is off. I have replaced the battries - I think I am missing something basic

Any ideas

Default Re: Xplorer Battery/Hercules 20

1. Do the internal lights and work on 12Vdc?
    2. Check the battery fuse on Hercules 20.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    1. Do the internal lights and work on 12Vdc?
    2. Check the battery fuse on Hercules 20.

Thank you PRA

No, the internal lights do not work on DC (but does on AC) - the fuses seem ok and the Hercules does recieve power from the battery - so does this mean something has blown on the Hercules?

What PRA means, are the lights 12V or 220V? If they are 220V they won't work when not connected to mains. In which case you will need to fit some additional 12V lights. Disconnect battery and measure if there is voltage coming on cable from power supply to battery, while connected to mains, should be 13,8V. If there is voltage there, that means your battery is getting a charge when you are connected to mains.
    Toyota Hilux 4x4 4 Litre
    Conquerer Courage
    KTM 690 Enduro R

Lightbulb Re: Xplorer Battery/Hercules 20

A while back I opened my XCape's Hecules 20 Power Unit and draw the attached diagram that may assist you. As you can see the unit basically convert 220V AC to 12V DC (actually 13.6V DC) and the output that to a common bus to which the lights, pump and fridge is attached. A direct feed from the battery is also attached to the bus through a fuse and the battery are charged when 220V is connected to the Hercules Unit. There are no intelligent charging in the system and you can overcharge or even damage your battery if left connected to long without a load in the system.

I had to open my Hercules unit as the 8 black and red wires that connect the accessories to the Hercules plug into the unit through a single white plastic multi-plug and some of these wires were pulling loose resulting is unreliable power when there are vibration. I extended the wires directly from the bus to a external screw type connector and can now connect each of the 8 wires individually with a screw, which provide a much more reliable connection.

I suspect one of two things are wrong with your system. The fuse between the battery and the unit is blown, also check for a fused isolator close to the battery or your wires going into the Hercules Unit does not make proper contact which means your battery is not connected to the bus providing power to the accessories.

The Hercules 20 is a powerful, robust, straight forward simple unit with little that can go wrong and a good piece of equipment to have in the field. The unit's output has definitely been rated for the Xplorer/XCape.

Hope this help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Daan van Schalkwyk

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daanvs For This Useful Post:

Hi all, I have a strange situation with my Hercules 20 in my 2005 Xplorer. Last night (camping at Dragon Peaks) something went wonky with the power feed from the electrical point and tripped everything in the Xplorer. It was apparently caused by a dodgy extension cable used by the caravan next door to us. The issue is I reset everything and the van lights came back on briefly then went off again (lights are 12v). Everything running on 220v was working fine again and the fridge and pump were also still working fine so I checked the fuses and discovered the first fuse (on the left facing the Hercules - a 5 amp fuse) had blown. I replaced it and again the fuse blew and I didn't have any more spares so I went to bed happy that the fridge/freezer was still working fine. During the night one of the lights came back on for a short while then went out again. By this morning none of the lights would come on. What is strange is that according to Daan's very useful diagram the 5 amp fuse is for the fridge/freezer so if that fuse is blown the fridge should not be working but it is. Stranger still is that I have not been able to replace the fuse yet and suddenly this afternoon the lights decided to come back on. So the situation is that I have a blown fuse but all three 12 volt items (pump, lights and fridge) are working fine. I have established that the first fuse from the right is the lights (I was able to check this when the lights came back on), the second is the pump (both 10 amp) so the 5 amp must be for the fridge as per Daan's diagram. So why is the fridge still working and why are the lights working intermittently? The Hercules is a reconditioned unit - could it be that whoever reconditioned it bypassed the fuse? Any help in solving this puzzle would be appreciated!

I have not delved into too much detail of the workings on my 2013 Xplorers Hercules 20 unit but I do understand that not much has changed in the design over the years.

The older models I think did have fluorescent lights which are run off the 12v circuit. That then would have nothing to do with the 220v side and the fuses as they would be fed from the 220v/12v transformer in the Hercules unit.

I would suspect the transformer is playing up or a connection close to it.

Good luck.

Edit:

Sorry but I may have some of my facts incorrect.

The 220 v system runs off the circuit breakers

The 12 v system runs off the fuses.

Where I was confused is that I have bypassed the 220v 12v transformer and now run that off a separate 12v battery charger as the Hercules on can only charge to 13.6 v and deep cycle batteries need 14.7 v.

So getting back to your problem the is a white automotive multiplug on top of the Hercules unit with about 7 wires fitted. One wire feeds 12v to the panel from the batteries and also acts as a charge wire to recharge the batteries. The others feed different items within the van such as lights an fridge and water pump.

So in you case I would check the transformer that it is 100% and then move on to the automotive plug and check its connections.

If nothing pops up then all connections leading from this plug need to be checked for connectivety.

My vans wiring is a disgrace by Jugens as every wiring loom is too short and a decent fix would mean a complete rewire.

Cheers
    Last edited by Mitsu Fan; 2019/09/16 at 11:52 PM.
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)