"Bottom Road" in Zambia's Southern Province

Default "Bottom Road" in Zambia's Southern Province

Hi All,
    We'll be travelling from the Lwr Zambezi NP to Livingstone in a few weeks. We are planning to go from Chiruyndu through Zambia to get there and I'm looking at the option of using the recently (2017) finished "bottom road" as it's probably more interesting and scenic - but depending on the time pay off. Still looks like a gravel road on satellite, and T4A sends us via the T2 and T1. Does anyone know the extent of this bottom road, and whether we can drive from Chirundu to Gwembe via the D500 making relative progress?

And is there a further option of travelling on to Sinazongwe via tar also?
    Thanks,
    Sonja

Default Re: "Bottom Road" in Zambia's Southern Province

We recently did this drive in reverse and it is quite "doable" (ie Livingstone to Chirundu). At places road is a bit slow but generally not too bad. There is quite a bit of tar as well. I think time is likely similar and is probably a little more scenic. quite a bit of road not on my T4A (May 2018 version) but found our way ok. Big benefit is almost zero traffic so dodging potholes easier and no thundering trucks or roadblocks etc so far more relaxing.
    Last edited by davidct; 2019/07/22 at 09:36 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidct For This Useful Post:

Hi David,
    Thanks a million for this info. It sounds like the way to go. Just to clarify, did you go Livingston-Kaloma-Sinazongwe mostly gravel road (passing near Maamba)- and then still travelling NE towards D497? T4A shows some tar and some offload? and then D499, D397 and D500 to the main Siavonga road?

i.e. where did you go south off the T1?
    Thanks again,
    Sonja

no we turned off at Chisekesi - D375 I think and then D500. But roads did not track with T4A and sometimes not with Google. Wasn't as we were told but quite passable. Is mix of gravel and tar.