What happened to Walmer 4x4 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What happened to Walmer 4x4

Not sure if I fully agree with you Estee. Years ago I had no interest in clubs because the beaches were open and you pretty much could go anywhere in relative safety and on your own. Could even do the Transkei coast with no drama and there was not too much issues doing tracks in forest reserves. I also did not know of any clubs or trials and had no real interest or need for them. Then in my middle ages I did a lot of gravel travel. I just needed to get out to the platterland. My work also took me to all sort of interesting (and uninteresting places like townships) in SA so 4x4ing was not a priority.

This next bit is going to date me. With the advent of Google and cell phones you ended up learning and getting in contact with like minded persons and having easy access to a lot more information about routes and camping sites. Just look at this forum, a wealth of information and help. With this I found out about the trials in the surrounding areas. I also think recently (relatively speaking) farmers have allowed access to their farms for various reasons which is a subject on its own. And to be honest that is a great experience for townies, close-by relaxing and safe. Currently I do trails for the following reasons. A third for 4x4ing. A third for the outing / scenery and a third for the social get together and camping that takes place afterwards. It is really great doing one of these routes with a group of friends and then chatting about it afterwards.

To be honest I never did Walmer and I am now sorry I wont get the opportunity, but being right in town I never actually considered it a priority. I would prefer to travel to the surrounding farm areas that offered a route.

End of the day every one does things for different reasons and time changes those reasons and needs.

I drove past there today and I see his container office is gone as well as the fence and gates. The trail is still there people and can still be done if you are keen.

I have done the trail a couple of times and although not very challenging was nice for the close proximity and for the kids. But when it rained a lot as we are having now it can be quite fun.

I plan on taking a quick drive through it tomorrow for old time sake.

Default What happened to Walmer 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
    I drove past there today and I see his container office is gone as well as the fence and gates. The trail is still there people and can still be done if you are keen.

I have done the trail a couple of times and although not very challenging was nice for the close proximity and for the kids. But when it rained a lot as we are having now it can be quite fun.

So one has free access now?

Please post pics.
    Last edited by Rebel 4x4; 2019/07/20 at 08:16 PM.
    Sent from my iPhone

Tomorrow? Take rope, lots

Yup, Dirk is correct. With all this rain you will get stuck especially at the back second part of the trail. It is a swamp when we had lots of rain.
    Regards
    HeinrichC

Ok, I took a quick look at the old course and itís still there with no issues or gates to enter through. I did the course in reverse as to enter the water side first for a bit of fun.

As to be expected with the rain we had it was a bit wet with the little stream flowing in the track. Was a lot of fun actually and with the last little obstacles made on the last night event held there now filled with water was nice and fun. Had to engage 4wd for the water filled holes.

Nice relaxation for a Sunday. It would be a pity if the course would become overgrown and be forgotten. Would be nice if we could frequent it in the meantime to keep it open for those lazy afternoons to do a quick play.

Ok, I took a quick look at the old course and itís still there with no issues or gates to enter through. I did the course in reverse as to enter the water side first for a bit of fun.

As to be expected with the rain we had it was a bit wet with the little stream flowing in the track. Was a lot of fun actually and with the last little obstacles made on the last night event held there now filled with water was nice and fun. Had to engage 4wd for the water filled holes.

Nice relaxation for a Sunday. It would be a pity if the course would become overgrown and be forgotten. Would be nice if we could frequent it in the meantime to keep it open for those lazy afternoons to do a quick play.
    Thanks for the update. Will wait till the track is dry
    Sent from my iPhone

Probably due to the golf club closing, think it's on their land?
    2011 Suzuki Jimny, Rocksliders (Bluerocket), Underbody protection (Stofpad), Roofrack (African Outback)
    Drawer System (self)

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post
    Just for the record - I did not mention any trail owners or trails. There is a reason why I had the word trail in inverted commas.

So, Riaan I am not sure why you were throwing your MT tyres out the cot
    Sorry ou boet,i get off the track so quickly,people dont know how mutch work goes into a track,lucky i got the greatest and best club and members that support me,same story people are scared to come play at crockerts hope 4x4,i build it for every one

10. The Following User Says Thank You to riaan pio For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by riaan pio View Post
    Sorry ou boet,i get off the track so quickly,people dont know how mutch work goes into a track,lucky i got the greatest and best club and members that support me,same story people are scared to come play at crockerts hope 4x4,i build it for every one
    This is very, very true.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by vstromPE View Post
    Probably due to the golf club closing, think it's on their land?
    Yes, I think here is your answer
    https://www.algoafm.co.za/article/lo...DgAtozHxs_ubCM

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tintin_85 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2