VW T5.1 Coolant Leak





Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Helmeringhausen
    Posts
    6
    Thanked: 0

    Question VW T5.1 Coolant Leak

    Hi everyone,

    I recently purchased a late 2010 VW Caravelle & after a few days i’ve had quite a significant amount of coolant leaking from what looks to be some sort of crack from an unknown part of the engine (mind you my general knowledge of these fancy engines isn’t very high compared to old plaas cruisers) I was hoping some old VW T5 cracks could help me out. See attached pictures below. Greetings from South-West!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top engine view.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	306.9 KB 
ID:	534286

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	closeup 1.jpg 
Views:	697 
Size:	260.5 KB 
ID:	534287
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	closeup 2.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	795.2 KB 
ID:	534289
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putfontein, Benoni
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,820
    Thanked: 1978

    Default Re: VW T5.1 Coolant Leak

    https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/za/tr.../115-115080/#2

    part of the EGR system. Does not appear to be available loose.
    Options is the entire unit - I know goldwagen sells them for around R15k or swop the entire assembly for the amarok version minus those parts and bypass the EGR which will then also need coding to shut it up.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    59
    Posts
    16,062
    Thanked: 2310

    Default Re: VW T5.1 Coolant Leak

    Not sure if this will be of any help, but I have fixed things with normal stretch bandage, soaked in polyurathane. Soak the bandage and wrap it up. Just properly clean first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/za/tr.../115-115080/#2

    part of the EGR system. Does not appear to be available loose.
    Options is the entire unit - I know goldwagen sells them for around R15k or swop the entire assembly for the amarok version minus those parts and bypass the EGR which will then also need coding to shut it up.
    Last edited by Henris; 2019/07/18 at 07:59 PM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Helmeringhausen
    Posts
    6
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: VW T5.1 Coolant Leak

    I have indeed also come up with a “plaas-plan” in the meantime. Chucked some gasket maker around the unit, let it dry overnight, flushed & refilled coolant & it seems to have done the job so far... been driving for some odd 100 k’s with no leak in sight! Until i can get to a VW garage which in our parts is a rare sight as the closest one is only in our capital Windhoek..


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B40EA2AE-4078-4F77-9CFA-7CA0E85367CC.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	534375

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putfontein, Benoni
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,820
    Thanked: 1978

    Default Re: VW T5.1 Coolant Leak

    you will have a little cry in the back corner of your bus as soon as you let VW quote on that repair.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Helmeringhausen
    Posts
    6
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: VW T5.1 Coolant Leak

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    you will have a little cry in the back corner of your bus as soon as you let VW quote on that repair.
    & a little cry in the back corner of the bus did happen.. I ended up replacing the entire EGR unit, for a mere 30k... its idling quite nicely now but the coolant level in the bottle is still dropping & rising (depending on how much pressure i put on the engine) I do hope this time its just the bottlecap thats faulty. Going to replace it soon.

    For how beautiful this vehicle handles the roads im starting to think the heat of the Namib is getting to it... anyone else have problems with their Bus overheating when driving in warmer climates (say 38 degrees & higher) ?
    • 2010 VW T5.1 / BiTd 4Motion
    • Farm Landsberg, Helmeringhausen
    • Namib Desert

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Springbokvlakte
    Posts
    66
    Thanked: 19

    Default Re: VW T5.1 Coolant Leak

    Quote Originally Posted by Südwester View Post
    & a little cry in the back corner of the bus did happen.. I ended up replacing the entire EGR unit, for a mere 30k... its idling quite nicely now but the coolant level in the bottle is still dropping & rising (depending on how much pressure i put on the engine) I do hope this time its just the bottlecap thats faulty. Going to replace it soon.

    For how beautiful this vehicle handles the roads im starting to think the heat of the Namib is getting to it... anyone else have problems with their Bus overheating when driving in warmer climates (say 38 degrees & higher) ?
    Yes! Especially when towing. I'm considering an intercooler upgrade in the near future.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putfontein, Benoni
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,820
    Thanked: 1978

    Default Re: VW T5.1 Coolant Leak

    an upgraded intercooler will not give you noticibly lower water temps.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town Southern Suburbs
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanked: 1131

    Default Re: VW T5.1 Coolant Leak

    Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Not sure if this will be of any help, but I have fixed things with normal stretch bandage, soaked in polyurathane. Soak the bandage and wrap it up. Just properly clean first.
    What kind of polyurethane do you use with the bandage?

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Springbokvlakte
    Posts
    66
    Thanked: 19

    Default Re: VW T5.1 Coolant Leak

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    an upgraded intercooler will not give you noticibly lower water temps.
    What will?

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putfontein, Benoni
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,820
    Thanked: 1978

    Default Re: VW T5.1 Coolant Leak

    more radiator, using less power..
    Sometimes using a different gear and or slowing down just 10 km/h might be enough.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Helmeringhausen
    Posts
    6
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: VW T5.1 Coolant Leak

    Quote Originally Posted by Stavats View Post
    Yes! Especially when towing. I'm considering an intercooler upgrade in the near future.
    Im glad im not the only one then! i haven't even dared to pull anything just yet! anything more than 110 km/h & the coolant level drops & then shoots up and pisses out of the overflow of the coolant bottle & the temp gauge goes up to about 115/120 degrees.. take my foot of the pedal and gauge comes back to 90 degrees in 10 - 15 seconds..

    Had a CO test done on it which came back negative. Then had it pressure tested a week ago & the water flange (connected to the EGR unit) had a leak... got that replaced but still the same issue persists..

    new coolant bottle & bottle cap is coming this week.. I hope this will fix the issue..
    • 2010 VW T5.1 / BiTd 4Motion
    • Farm Landsberg, Helmeringhausen
    • Namib Desert

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Springbokvlakte
    Posts
    66
    Thanked: 19

    Default Re: VW T5.1 Coolant Leak

    I'm getting scared of saying anything on this forum. A week after my post a got a "check coolant" warning. Checked and found oil in the expansion bottle. Arranged a rollback and sent it to a specialist in Centurion that same day.

    Waiting for the final verdict, but thus far it's costing me an oil cooler, head gasket and thermostat housing.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putfontein, Benoni
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,820
    Thanked: 1978

    Default Re: VW T5.1 Coolant Leak

    Very often it is just the heat exchanger and always start there first before going for the head gasket solution.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Helmeringhausen
    Posts
    6
    Thanked: 0

    Post Re: VW T5.1 Coolant Leak

    Quote Originally Posted by Stavats View Post
    I'm getting scared of saying anything on this forum. A week after my post a got a "check coolant" warning. Checked and found oil in the expansion bottle. Arranged a rollback and sent it to a specialist in Centurion that same day.

    Waiting for the final verdict, but thus far it's costing me an oil cooler, head gasket and thermostat housing.
    Unfortunately the CFCA engines are very well known for their self deconstructing behaviors; mostly due to a known faulty EGR unit with earlier year models...
    im following a very interesting and active group on FB : https://www.facebook.com/groups/vwcf...vity&ref=notif

    & like Stephan said its always wise to look at the cheaper options first.. after having spend nearly 50k on my coolant leak & finding out it can be due to 100's of different reasons, im going to live by those words..
    • 2010 VW T5.1 / BiTd 4Motion
    • Farm Landsberg, Helmeringhausen
    • Namib Desert

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •