Credit card fraud

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Credit card fraud

Today I received a call in summary, asking me whether I made any airbnb purchases x2 R3668 each on my credit card. I of course said no and a fraud case was opened with my existing card blocked and a new card ordered. I was then told that an investigation will be done and finalised within 15days. The lady could not provide me an answer to the loss I incurred on my credit card but assured me the matter will be dealt with an outcome at the end of this period.

My question is how could this have happened without my authorisation and what are the chances of a positive outcome for me? Also what recourse do I have against the credit card company because my card never leaves my sight when purchases are made.
    Last edited by Dirk; 2019/07/17 at 08:53 PM.
    Discovery Landrover 3 tdv6 2008
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

Default Re: Credit card fraud

All my fraudulent transactions via my cc's have been refunded in full.
    HOWIE-WP,
    RoadCar: 2008 VW Golf5 .:R32
    OffRoad Car: 2006 VW Touareg 4.2 v8
    "Settle for nothing less than the object of your desire"-Bjork

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Today I received a call in summary, asking me whether I made any airbnb purchases x2 R3668 each on my credit card. I of course said no and a fraud case was opened with my existing card blocked and a new card ordered. I was then told that an investigation will be done and finalised within 15days. The lady could not provide me an answer to the loss I incurred on my credit card but assured me the matter will be dealt with an outcome at the end of this period.

My question is how could this have happened without my authorisation and what are the chances of a positive outcome for me? Also what recourse do I have against the credit card company because my card never leaves my sight when purchases are made.
    How do you know that it actually was your bank that phoned you?

And did you see these transactions on your statement with your own eyes?

Do you know for sure that your card is now blocked and safe?

Just pointing out some issues as your post is not very clear in this regard. Maybe you are being scammed as we speak......
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

Well the security questions asked all point to legitimacy besides I returned the call on the number that is linked to the credit card company as well. Last but not least I never gave any pins or numbers of the related credit card. On that score I'm safe
    ...back to my questions.
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

Give the bank a chance to investigate. The staff member you spoke to is doubtless under strict instructions to make no commitment at this stage.

Mother of a friend of mine had some fraudulent overseas purchases made on her card and initially bank tried to say it was her fault. I enquired on the forum as to the protocols for that type of card (mine is different) and was able to advise on questions to throw at them. Bank then conceded.

So it is really too early to start worrying. If they try to blame it on you, we can all put our heads together.

The SA banks do absorb millions and millions in fraudulent transactions.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian.McM For This Useful Post:

Last week received sms for R13800 airbnb transactions. Bank cancelled card, issued new one , no transaction on my statement but now answer on investigation!

It should actually be easy as with airbnb you have to book in etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Waals View Post
    Last week received sms for R13800 airbnb transactions. Bank cancelled card, issued new one , no transaction on my statement but now answer on investigation!

It should actually be easy as with airbnb you have to book in etc.?
    Yes I hope it is a case of catching the culprit when booking in, unless they offloaded it to an unsuspecting holiday maker.
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Howie-WP View Post
    All my fraudulent transactions via my cc's have been refunded in full.
    Good...let's hope same for me.
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

Please let us know in due course?

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

Mine was refunded in full - Flight and hire car.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

What probably happened was a card not present transaction took place, ie using only the card holders name, card number and CVV, all of which is printed on your card and very insecure if accepted by a retailer, they take all the risk. Most of the US still accepts those transactions.

If that is the case its almost guaranteed to be a easy and hassle free chargeback.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.McM View Post
    Please let us know in due course?
    Will do.
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    What probably happened was a card not present transaction took place, ie using only the card holders name, card number and CVV, all of which is printed on your card and very insecure if accepted by a retailer, they take all the risk. Most of the US still accepts those transactions.

If that is the case its almost guaranteed to be a easy and hassle free chargeback.
    Hoping for no hassles.
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

There is some issue with Airbnb. Maybe a week ago I read similar cases in Europe. Bookings going through. Big issues now also with one American owned Chinese online shop.

Online use of cc is still safer than cc use locally. Fortunately increasing number of places will not handle customer cards. Customer must use it. What is increasing is card skimming equipment in atms.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Back when I worked in Venezuela, my Boss there told me to alter the CVV on the card to make it different to the original, but to try to keep it as legible as possible.
    We used our own cards to check into hotels in Caracas and charged them back to the company, and while the charges were all manually run through the machine with a voucher, they used to record the CVV in the margin of the counterfoil. That saved me a lot of money because I had a few calls from the bank all the way in Maturin in Eastern Venezuela about dodgy transactions.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

Unfortunately I have been in a similar situation.... And happily it was resolved and the money re-credited to my account.

With technology today, a card reader can "skim" the info off your card while it is still inside your wallet.
    Also a card reader can be placed over a ATM card slot, can be kept in the pocket of a crooked waiter, petrol attendant, cashier ect.

The banks do an investigation, which usually takes 10 - 15 days, sometimes a little longer and if you are in the right, the stolen funds are replaced.

I have had this happen twice to me.
    Transactions happening overseas, when I was right here at home in South Africa. Over 20 grand in 3 or 4 transactions at shops in Europe.
    And my bank card was cloned at the atm. This one took me 3 months to be aware, as the crooks took R100, R200 every other day. Checked the account balance on the 25th, the 27th, the last day of the month ect.
    I went to an atm to withdraw money, and it said that I had exceeded my limit. When I went into the bank, that is when the theft was discovered.
    Over a 3 month period, they had stolen about R4'000.
    The bank refunded me in full.
    I met some crazy people.... They made me their leader.

2014 Mazda BT-50 - Recently bought. March 2018
    2013 Nissan NP300 - Daily workhorse
    1993 Ford Courier 2.2... Odometer stopped working just over 530'000 km's. Sold 2013
    69' Series 2 Landi - Old, slow, thirsty. Go anywhere. Stolen in 2010

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexP For This Useful Post:

If a bank enquired about a possible fraudulent transaction, it means they have not yet put it through your account.

They run very sophisticated software that analyses all transactions taking in your past spending and locations and normally stops more than 99% of fraudulent transactions. That has happened in your case, hence the call from the bank and why they issued a new card.

Somewhere along the way, a card skimming device (ATM or at a restaurant) read your magstipe details. Even your CVV code is stored on that magstipe...

Go online, check your card account, you will find those transactions was never put through as the bank themselves identified them as fraudulent, meaning they declined them at the merchant level.

That type of transaction falls into the type that says "Rxxx.xx has been reserved for a purchase from company xyz" to go through on your and the merchant's accounts only later, once verified.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/07/18 at 07:44 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

If a bank enquired about a possible fraudulent transaction, it means they have not yet put it through your account.

They run very sophisticated software that analyses all transactions taking in your past spending and locations and normally stops more than 99% of fraudulent transactions. That has happened in your case, hence the call from the bank and why they issued a new card.

Somewhere along the way, a card skimming device (ATM or at a restaurant) read your magstipe details. Even your CVV code is stored on that magstipe... That info is collected by syndicates and sold internationally. Restaurant staff are normally hooked into those syndicates, and do the skimming.

Go online, check your card account, you will find those transactions have never put through as the bank themselves identified them as fraudulent, meaning they declined them at the merchant level.

That type of transaction falls into the type where your cell phone SMS message says "Rxxx.xx has been reserved for a purchase from company xyz" to go through on your and the merchant's accounts only later, once verified.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/07/18 at 08:00 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.McM View Post
    The SA banks do absorb millions and millions in fraudulent transactions.
    Many years ago, (late 90's) I had the contract to renovate and refurbish a penthouse in Durban, which was used by the forensic accounting management of Nedbank.
    During idle chatter with the big boss of Nedbank, he told me that they investigate internal fraud with their own tellers and management worth about 30 million Rands a year.
    I met some crazy people.... They made me their leader.

2014 Mazda BT-50 - Recently bought. March 2018
    2013 Nissan NP300 - Daily workhorse
    1993 Ford Courier 2.2... Odometer stopped working just over 530'000 km's. Sold 2013
    69' Series 2 Landi - Old, slow, thirsty. Go anywhere. Stolen in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post

Somewhere along the way, a card skimming device (ATM or at a restaurant) read your magstipe details. Even your CVV code is stored on that magstipe...

Go online, check your card account, you will find those transactions was never put through as the bank themselves identified them as fraudulent, meaning they declined them at the merchant level.

That type of transaction falls into the type that says "Rxxx.xx has been reserved for a purchase from company xyz" to go through on your and the merchant's accounts only later, once verified.
    Thanks for this...never use the card at ATM so.most probably at a restaurant where this skimming took place. Received my statement and the transactions appear not to have gone through....will call them.later today to confirm.
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast