New Member intro and questions for members

Default New Member intro and questions for members

Good morning all.

I am a new member here. I see this platform as very useful where one can learn a lot. Thank you for the input of every member contributing! I hope i can add value in future as well.

I am rather new to 4x4, started learning mid last year with a 3.2 Pajero and now purchased the new 2019 Mitsubishi Triton 4x4. I live in Gauteng and Im a father of 2 young boys (3years and 1 year). My idea is to explore with them so that they can learn and appreciate nature from a young age. I think if you do a proper job of 4x4ing, it can be a good family hobby.

I have been to a couple of "4x4 courses" eg Piesangskloof, de Wildt, kungwini, Rhino and lion resort and have done a tour to the Molototsi river.

My question is, where or who is the best to talk to about tours. As i am new to 4x4, it would be important to have guided tours but self driving and even self sufficient. Further, i have seen various tours, but then you looking at 10k, 15k+ per person. With us being a "young" family, it is a bit expensive and those tours we can only do once every 2nd or 3rd year. What cheaper options can you reccommend? Also, shorter tours would be better at this point, eg a weekend / 4 day tour.

Is there a 4x4 club in the Johannesburg/alberton region?

I look forward to hear about your trips, recommendations and sharing of info.

Post Re: New Member intro and questions for members

Hi Tiaan,

Firstly Welcome to the forum!!
    It is a fantastic data base to obtain info about anything!

Regarding your Tour/trip question. You are in the right place to obtain what you are seeking.
    On the home page of the forum, scroll down to the REGIONAL or OVERLAND areas and select where you are interested in going.
    There you will find TRIP REPORTS. Theses are basically diaries that are written by members describing their trips, routes taken, areas camped, costs, pros' & con's & many more details.
    The costs you were talking about is obviously subject to your preferences. Myself and alot of members enjoy the camping set up, which makes these trips alot more affordable.

My suggestion is to do some digging in the forum, plan a trip and do your homework.
    Book a campsite somewhere in RSA, Botswana, Namibia or all 3 , plan your route, calculate your fuel costs, get in your Triton and GO!

Good Luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TarzanWelman For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New Member intro and questions for members

Welcome fellow Mitsu person

Great advice above from Tarzan.

To add to that I think a lot comes down to your sense of adventure and confidence in your abilities. There are plenty of places within SA borders that are suitable for small children and will still give you that sense of adventure whilst being safe.

Please feel free to ask for advice, especially from the Mitsu crowd, we are know for being friendly.

As for cheaper options, my advice, hire a trailer and hit the San parks. Kruger in particular would give you a lot of experience
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Thanks for your advise, will spend some time in searching the forum for the info etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TarzanWelman View Post
    Hi Tiaan,

Firstly Welcome to the forum!!
    It is a fantastic data base to obtain info about anything!

Regarding your Tour/trip question. You are in the right place to obtain what you are seeking.
    On the home page of the forum, scroll down to the REGIONAL or OVERLAND areas and select where you are interested in going.
    There you will find TRIP REPORTS. Theses are basically diaries that are written by members describing their trips, routes taken, areas camped, costs, pros' & con's & many more details.
    The costs you were talking about is obviously subject to your preferences. Myself and alot of members enjoy the camping set up, which makes these trips alot more affordable.

My suggestion is to do some digging in the forum, plan a trip and do your homework.
    Book a campsite somewhere in RSA, Botswana, Namibia or all 3 , plan your route, calculate your fuel costs, get in your Triton and GO!

Good Luck!

Thanks for your advise. Kruger sounds like a plan. I've not been there since early childhood. I guess there's lot of offroad to be done there, not just a flat dirt road, something a bit challenging and exciting to pump up the adrenaline?

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Welcome fellow Mitsu person

Great advice above from Tarzan.

To add to that I think a lot comes down to your sense of adventure and confidence in your abilities. There are plenty of places within SA borders that are suitable for small children and will still give you that sense of adventure whilst being safe.

Please feel free to ask for advice, especially from the Mitsu crowd, we are know for being friendly.

As for cheaper options, my advice, hire a trailer and hit the San parks. Kruger in particular would give you a lot of experience

Quote Originally Posted by TiaanDW007 View Post
    ...I guess there's lot of offroad to be done there, not just a flat dirt road, something a bit challenging and exciting to pump up the adrenaline?
    No you will not find much for the adrenaline in Kruger.

I know Stranger means well, but in my opinion your kids are still too young for the malaria risk in Kruger.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post: