Any big mistakes? Itinerary.

Default Any big mistakes? Itinerary.

Hello. Long time reader, first time poster. Thanks for all the informative reading! I've self driven through Namibia several times and now I would like to swing down into Botswana. Will be driving a Ford Ranger with a bush camper on the back, rented from Avis.

Landing at Windhoek November 19 at 1:20pm.
    Nov 19 Windhoek
    20 Spitzkoppe
    21 Spitzkoppe
    22 Halali-Etosha
    23 Halali
    24 Halali
    25 Onguma
    26 Nunda- Divundu
    27 Nunda
    28 Livinstones Camp, Mamili NP
    29 Livinstone
    30 Chobe River Camp, Ngoma
    Dec. 1 Elephant Sands, Nata
    2 Planet Baobab-Gweta
    3 Planet Baobab
    4 Deception Valley-CKGR
    5 Deception
    6 Leopard Pan
    7 Leopard Pan
    8 Open Day-for CKGR Not sure where to stay?
    9 Open day for CKGR- I donít know how to best get out of the Kalahari? Can I exit from the west or do I have to go back through Rakops?
    10 Kalahari Bush Breaks- B6 heading back to the airport
    11 Fly home

Any drives too long or poor areas to stay? I don't mind a 9 plus hour drive every now and again. Thanks for any input, I really appreciate it.

Default Re: Any big mistakes? Itinerary.

Welcome to the forum as a poster

The route seems okay to me but you leave out the Chobe NP which is a highlight on the planned trip.
    Albeit being in Ngoma camp this is still on the NAM side and you won't have time on the BW side when heading down to Elephant Sands.
    If you can, insert a day here and shift the whole trip afterwards by a day.
    CKGR would offer Piper Pan as an additional stop over, breaking the long drive and seeing this area.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Appreciate the advise! The company booking my accommodations seemed to think Chobe would be too wet/difficult for a solo-self driver? They don't want me getting stuck with no additional vehicle....

Kalahari Safari's comments are good, Chobe should be fine in December, just turn back if you hit deep water - the river section is not huge. I would only do one night at Halali though, and rather add two nights at Okaukuejo. The night time game viewing at the Okaukuejo water hole can be spectacular, although be aware at that time of year, the elephant herds will have moved west, so you are only likely to see solitary bulls, or pairs or trips.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2019/07/17 at 07:29 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Thanks Tony. I have stayed at both Okaukuejo and Halali. Can't argue that Okaukuejo water hole isn't excellent, I still prefer the smaller, more laid back atmosphere at Halali.

Do you have any recommendations of a campsite that would work for me in Chobe? May be able to skip Chobe River Camp, Ngoma then stay 2 nights around Chobe. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    CKGR would offer Piper Pan as an additional stop over, breaking the long drive and seeing this area.
    I second this. Actually when we went to the CKGR we didn't make it to Piper, but I hear good things and also this would allow you to exit to the West (via Xade Gate) and the head back to Windhoek, assuming that is your plan. There are a few camps on the way between the CKGR and Windhoek for a stopover.

This map might be helpful. Lots of good camps in the CKGR, we enjoyed Kori (listed as Kgori on this map) campsites, I can't remember which one, maybe No. 2, but the others looked good. And also I like Letiahau for its remoteness, however it has no facilities at all, so if that isn't your thing then give it a pass.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MSI View Post
    Do you have any recommendations of a campsite that would work for me in Chobe? May be able to skip Chobe River Camp, Ngoma then stay 2 nights around Chobe. Thanks for the help!
    Ihaha, just be sure to lock away stuff at night as there have been security issues with people paddling across the border from Namibia to steal. But it is a lovely spot, good game area.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Appreciate the advise! The company booking my accommodations seemed to think Chobe would be too wet/difficult for a solo-self driver? They don't want me getting stuck with no additional vehicle....

In fact I could not imagine a spot where water flow would be an issue.
    I visited in 2 days downpour and we used all the routes, just stay on the tracks.
    The waterfront is even easier when its wet as the sand gets compacted, so no issues at all.
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

The company booking my accommodations seemed to think Chobe would be too wet/difficult for a solo-self driver? They don't want me getting stuck with no additional vehicle....
    I don't know why they are MOSTLY worried by ONLY chobe being wet, since CKGR in December, if there are early rains could also be challenging to a solo traveler.

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    I don't know why they are MOSTLY worried by ONLY chobe being wet, since CKGR in December, if there are early rains could also be challenging to a solo traveler.
    I think they are trying to keep me in more popular area with decent traffic flow. If I need a pull out, someone should come along in a few hours.

Here's my updated itinerary:

Nov 19 Windhoek

20 Spitzkoppe

21 Spitz.

22 Halali

23 Halali

24 Halali

25 Onguma

26 Nunda

27 Nunda

28 Livinstones Camp, Mamili NP

29 Livinstone

30 Ihaha- Chobe

Dec 1 Ihaha
    2 Elephant Sands, Nata

3 Planet Baobab

4 Planet Baobab

5 Deception Valley

5 Deception

6 Passarge

7 Passarge
    8 Piper

9 Piper

10 Kalahari Bush Breaks

11 Fly home

One final question

Wondering the drive time from Livinstone to Ihaha? Border crossing time? I am not adverse to leaving Livinstone at 6 am as long as I can arrive at Ihaha late afternoon? I know nothing about the drive times in Botswana. Thanks for the help!

One final question

Wondering the drive time from Livinstone to Ihaha? Border crossing time? I am not adverse to leaving Livinstone at 6 am as long as I can arrive at Ihaha late afternoon? I know nothing about the drive times in Botswana. Thanks for the help!
    That's not far. Even if you can take 3 hours to cross, you still have plent of time to do shopping in Kasane and then off to Ihaha.

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    That's not far. Even if you can take 3 hours to cross, you still have plent of time to do shopping in Kasane and then off to Ihaha.
    Thank you very much. Very helpful!

I would not even go to Kasane on the way in.

Enter Ngoma gate and proceed along the flood plain road to Ihaha, there's so much to see it will take you 2-3 hours. Yes its only 23 kms but plenty wildlife and small tracks to loo around.

Only problem would be the food as BW is checking for meat import from NAM at the border. But as you are only staying one night I would recommend some chicken for dinner which is fine to cross with. Next day shopping in Kasane of Kazungula should solve the issue.
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45