Advice Needed for Rust Repair - Cape Town

Default Advice Needed for Rust Repair - Cape Town

Hi Guys.

My 2007 Patrol 4.2D Nissan Patrol has developed rust in a few spots around the front windshield. It's bubbled up from inside, and needs to be sorted out. I've owned this vehicle for over 10years, and serviced it meticulously, it is mechanically perfect, but the rust is a problem now.

I imagine the windshield would need to come out, and the rust cut out and then plated. I dont think grinding back and filling will do the trick this time.

Could anyone offer me any advice as to who to take it to?

I'm in Tokai/westlake area in the southern suburbs, so of course, would prefer someone in the local south, but if needs be, will happily take it north if there is someone there who is a master at this game. i want it done properly.

Please help.

Regrds
    Russ.

Default Re: Advice Needed for Rust Repair - Cape Town

As you mention, you will need to cut out the rust section. Depending on the size of the problem spots, new metal should be welded in. Instead of filler, lead can be used and then filed/sanded down.

If you have caught it in time, a good sand down and drilling out of pitting and then leading could be sufficient.

I dont know if Apocalypse is still a member, he would be the right person to advise or point you in the direction for assistance.

Numerous resources, good example here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEpjeulZEFs
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Talk to Gary Frank, he can do metal work and knows a little bit about spanners and stuff.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    I dont know if Apocalypse is still a member,
    no, not any more
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Years back I used Rustbusters in Paarden Eiland and was more than happy with their work. Removed the window, sorted out the rust, repainted and refitted the window for R4500 with I think a two year warranty.

Ameer Jacobs (Auto Craft Body Works) Did my son's vehicle. Removed the screen, cut out, weld in and rust proof + spray. I used him extensively over the years...my daugter is a bit accident prone.... He is also the go to guy for custom jobs for the Harley club. The nice thing is you drop the vehicle off on Friday and collect on Sunday.

You can contact him on 078 9520 329 or [email protected]. He is in the Northern suburbs...

Check some of his work on his FB page for Auto Craft Body Works.

He is one of the last few true pannel beaters that can fix...not just replace...and his prices are very good.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

I had a 1998 Patrol at RustGuard in Paarden Eiland for a similar problem. It also had rust around the rear doors. I chose them because they were recommend to me by a guy who is into classic cars. Sold the vehicle 4 years later with no further problems, even though I live a stone's throw from the beach and EVERYTHING here rusts eventually.