Suitable SUV for towing and loading - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Suitable SUV for towing and loading

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    If you can find a V8 tdi don't even think of anything else in terms of towing ability. I have towed a lot of stuff with a lot of cars but there is very little that comes remotely to towing with the big touareg / Q7 's with either the v8 tdi or the v10.
    Your ONLY problem will be that afterwards you won't know what to buy because so far the new new one does not have the v8 in. I hope it comes.
    Until one day I can find a cheap v8 the v10 will have to do.
    This was wednesday past. Jhb - Durban - JHb in the same day. Left 01:30 - stopped to pick up solar panels. Loaded the other car and was back home at 18:00
    Due to the many speed restrictions and a million trucks absolutely having to pass each other at 35 km/h the trip down yielded 11.9 L/100 km.
    Back up 14.1 l/ 100km.
    Despite my best efforts and using cruise control I still managed to get two speed cameras flash at me . I hate that road.
    Stefan,

have you not tried the back roads to Durban? I go via Petrus Steyn, Kestell, winterton, on N3 then off at Mooi River and back on N3 at Notties. No traps, roads are nice and I have attained good speeds along there for 50-80stretches per time easily every time.. not to mention scenic and an enjoyable drive.. not much difference in time for me leaving from Vanderbijlpark. I do Durban trips often at this point in time. So far this year 8.
    Regards,SeanFwww.rapidsrc.co.zahttp://www.fuelly.com/car/land_rover/lr2/2009/seanfen01/293447

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanF79 For This Useful Post:

Default Suitable SUV for towing and loading

In your price range, the Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK is your best bet. It has the Mercedes ML350 motor and gearbox and a well maintained model should have plenty of life remaining.

Mine: 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L Hemi Ltd - (OME 2" lift, JK Rims, 1.25" wheel spacers, Firestone Destination A/T 265/65/17 tyres & free-flow silencer)
    Swambo: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 3.0 CRD Overland (Standard, but with 275/55/20 Yokohama Geolander GO15 tyres)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeeper For This Useful Post:

I would second the Jeep option. I am on my second 3.0 CRD and it is amazing. Software alone took mine to 200kw and 650NM.....towing anything is a breeze, really!

The offerings from the VW stable are also very good!

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD
    2011 Jeep Cherokee
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD-50mm EFS Lift, GDE Tune
    2009 Jeep Rubicon-50mm Coil Lift, Branches, Free Flow, K&N, MT`s
    2013 Suzuki Vitara-40mm lift
    2012 Suzuki Jimny-Fully Kitted.
    2007 Jeep Cherokee-Std

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF79 View Post
    Hi there,

Iím in the market for a used SUV that can tow well and take a bit of a beating. I have a Freelander 2 2.2 TD4 at which has been great and Iím looking for something similar that can so tow 3.5tons but perhaps is built to last a bit more while still being able to provide the executive experience. My problems with the Landy, interior plastics age badly, a touch expensive to repair when it does break, possibly with higher reliability.

I was was looking at around 165000km and max R175000. This means Iím looking at ML320/350CDI, Volvo XC90 D5, VW Touareg 3.0 tdi, jeep GC CRDís etc..

i am am keen on the Jeepís but Iím worried about servicing and reliability. The GC and the Cherokee look pretty good on paper. Are they reliable? When is cam belt services and how much is that?
    Last edited by Owen Ball; 2019/07/22 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Sorry Imessed up the reply, but let me tell you without a doubt after owning all the LR RR products then a ML 350 Merc, the worst of the lot Now JGC 3l Diesel towing a Jurgens Elegance caravan 12.4 L/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Owen Ball For This Useful Post:

Taking the Jeep to the dealer will put you in the poor house. Lots of good indies out there.....it is however a luxury SUV so not cheep but i havent had any eye watering bills as yet.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD
    2011 Jeep Cherokee
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD-50mm EFS Lift, GDE Tune
    2009 Jeep Rubicon-50mm Coil Lift, Branches, Free Flow, K&N, MT`s
    2013 Suzuki Vitara-40mm lift
    2012 Suzuki Jimny-Fully Kitted.
    2007 Jeep Cherokee-Std

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF79 View Post
    Stefan,

have you not tried the back roads to Durban? I go via Petrus Steyn, Kestell, winterton, on N3 then off at Mooi River and back on N3 at Notties. No traps, roads are nice and I have attained good speeds along there for 50-80stretches per time easily every time.. not to mention scenic and an enjoyable drive.. not much difference in time for me leaving from Vanderbijlpark. I do Durban trips often at this point in time. So far this year 8.
    I go down about once every 3 months. Used the winterton route often and used to think so as well till got caught doing 150 outside Winterton. My problem with that road is if you get stuck behind a slow truck on the twisty sections you are screwed.
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    I go down about once every 3 months. Used the winterton route often and used to think so as well till got caught doing 150 outside Winterton. My problem with that road is if you get stuck behind a slow truck on the twisty sections you are screwed.

There is always a chance anywhere tbh... but so far 2 years over 30 trips on that route.. nothing yet.. even using my Lexus IS350ís at well over the limit.. trucks. Sometimes you get it and I can wait because there are also the odd tractor. But in the N3 I have had the same delay..
    Regards,SeanFwww.rapidsrc.co.zahttp://www.fuelly.com/car/land_rover/lr2/2009/seanfen01/293447

Sorry, are you saying the Merc is a good bet.. I was looking at the ML320/350cdi and the GL 320cdi as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay4 View Post
    I would second the Jeep option. I am on my second 3.0 CRD and it is amazing. Software alone took mine to 200kw and 650NM.....towing anything is a breeze, really!

The offerings from the VW stable are also very good!
    I notice the new jeeps canít tow as much as the old ones. The rating went from 3000kgís to 2250kgís even though the new one is bigger and better...

Mmmnnn
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3