1st Time Landy Owner

Default 1st Time Landy Owner

South African living in Namibia. 1st time Land Rover owner, 1999 Td5 110 SW with more than 300 000km under the belt.
    Single parent, this vehicle was obtained to take myself and my two daughters camping and anywhere else it will go.

IMG_20190509_134159_411.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuka For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 1st Time Landy Owner

Welcome to the family, if you look after her she will take you pretty much anywhere.
    Just remember they like Lot's of attention, it'll be a bit like having 3 kids first thing I'd do is give her a major service and check up.
    Hope you get as much joy out of yours as I'm having with mine.
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110 (Aqualung)
    1997 2.8i Defender 110 (Fats)
    1982 Mog 416
    1980 FJ45 (Piglet)
    1967 series 2a (dugudugu)
    1958 series 2 (Betty)
    Amarok (platcar to fetch eggs)

Self made nilionaire

Welcome, I also became a first 110 td5 owner about 4 years ago I think it is now.

In my case I moved on from a double cab ground tent set up and got the landy as it is the only vehicle (besides a land cruiser troopy) that you can convert for two people to sleep in. Kids grown up and we are getting on so we decided that was the way to go. Never looked back.

The thing about the 110 are the almost endless possibilities you have in designing how you are going to pack and carry things, seating arrangements, sleeping system etc etc. Very versatile. Space for under fender water tank and extra fuel tank and the most generous roof rack space.

One big expense I did was to put in a frontrunner back door spare wheel support - long term I reckon it is a good damage prevention investment.

Other thing that works well are steel trunks on the roif rack. I got for each trunk two fairly wide flat aluminium bars that fit width wise on the inside at either end of the trunk then drilled bolt holes through the bars and bittom of the trunk and bolted the trunks down onto to roof rack cross beams. Put some flat rubber matting between the bottom of the trunk and roof rack cross beams as well. Used standard spray can paint to give the trunk an extra coat and sealed edges of the trunk with wynns gasket maker - much better than silicone and far easier to work with. Have four trunks on the roof rack (two on either side) - waterproof and dust proof, lockable and they take a lot of stuff. Also best to buy and 4-5 step aluminium ladder and organize and easy on/off place for it on the roof rack - best access to take it on and off is using the back car ladder with one knee lightly placed on top of the spare wheel. You are going to need this ladder to maximise use of the roof rack as easily and quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
    Welcome, I also became a first 110 td5 owner about 4 years ago I think it is now.

In my case I moved on from a double cab ground tent set up and got the landy as it is the only vehicle (besides a land cruiser troopy) that you can convert for two people to sleep in. Kids grown up and we are getting on so we decided that was the way to go. Never looked back.

The thing about the 110 are the almost endless possibilities you have in designing how you are going to pack and carry things, seating arrangements, sleeping system etc etc. Very versatile. Space for under fender water tank and extra fuel tank and the most generous roof rack space.

One big expense I did was to put in a frontrunner back door spare wheel support - long term I reckon it is a good damage prevention investment.

Other thing that works well are steel trunks on the roif rack. I got for each trunk two fairly wide flat aluminium bars that fit width wise on the inside at either end of the trunk then drilled bolt holes through the bars and bittom of the trunk and bolted the trunks down onto to roof rack cross beams. Put some flat rubber matting between the bottom of the trunk and roof rack cross beams as well. Used standard spray can paint to give the trunk an extra coat and sealed edges of the trunk with wynns gasket maker - much better than silicone and far easier to work with. Have four trunks on the roof rack (two on either side) - waterproof and dust proof, lockable and they take a lot of stuff. Also best to buy and 4-5 step aluminium ladder and organize and easy on/off place for it on the roof rack - best access to take it on and off is using the back car ladder with one knee lightly placed on top of the spare wheel. You are going to need this ladder to maximise use of the roof rack as easily and quickly as possible.
    Hi

Can you please post pics of this set up of the trunks?
    1998 Defender 110 Tdi 300
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    South African living in Namibia. 1st time Land Rover owner, 1999 Td5 110 SW with more than 300 000km under the belt.
    Single parent, this vehicle was obtained to take myself and my two daughters camping and anywhere else it will go.

IMG_20190509_134159_411.jpg
    Hi and welcome

Good looking Landy you have there!
    1998 Defender 110 Tdi 300
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

It is a beauty.....You will have many, many years of joy out of that...Congrats

Look after that and it will look after you !!
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful (Sold) Rusty
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ? (Scrapped) Could not last
    2011 Toyota Fortuner D4D 4x4 Man

Congrats and welcome, many happy miles!

Please do the basics as mentioned above, service & check up etc.

Plus definitely check ALL coolant pipes, and install a Coolant Level Sensor asap - it'll save your bacon.
    Current - FJ Cruiser
    Current - Disco 2 GS TD5
    Current - BMW GSA 1200
    Ex - Ford Ranger WildTrak
    Ex - KTM 300 XCW
    Ex - Jeep Commander (Biggest POS ever owned)
    Ex - Mitsubishi Triton
    Ex - Gen 4 Paj SWB Tractor - Death by Taxi
    Ex - JK Wrangler Rubicon - Sold
    Ex - Colt Rodeo
    Ex - Audi S3

Thank you for the warm welcome, Roadman, thank you for the advise, it is greatly appreciated.

Last time a was behind the wheel of a Land Rover was somewhere in the early 90s, it was brown and had a "M" number plate, in other words no idea what LR it was. All I remember was that it was noisy, slow, hot and an absolute joy to drive just about anywhere through the African bush. We were also the double cab ground tent type camping family of three, but here in Namibia I wanted something that I could customize to my liking, ie to provide in our off the grid camping adventures. I could think of no other vehicle than a Defender, read more emotion that logic in the choice, I simply wanted one.

So, found this one in Cape Town with a fairly solid proof of history; engine was reconditioned at 250 000, serviced at regular intervals and it came with the roof rack and all the other add on parts. Took it for a test drive and it was everything I thought a LR should be....noisy, smelling of oil, slow but an absolute joy just sitting in it. Money exchanged hands and I was the proud owner of my very own LR. Now to be very honest, I did all my research before I made the actual purchase. I knew exactly what to look for, what to ask, what to be careful of, I made a long list of items that (according to this forum) one should check before purchasing such an old lady. I did non of it. When I pulled up to the sellers house the LR was standing in the driveway and I simply went: "I'll take it." Totally outside of my personality or the way I do things, maybe its the middle age thing that got to me.

Anyway, so the following day I set off for the 1800km journey from Cape Town the the Landy's new home in Windhoek. Now keep in mind I had no idea what a Defender should drive like, pull like or what performance to expect. All I knew was what I read on forums; its loud, its slow (I barely managed 90km/h), it leaks oil, it handles OK but is no spots car etc. And this LR lived up to that reputation, so, according to me all was fine with this LR. That was until about 800km into my journey when all of a sudden, while overtaking a truck (doing 60) the engine light came on, LR went into idle with no response from the throttle. Problems. After stopping next to the road switched the vehicle off, waited a minute or two and then started her again, no issues and no engine light. It lasted another 400km when this happened again, engine light comes on, engine to idle and zero response from the throttle. Contacted the seller who said it may be some electrical spike of sorts. I nursed the Landy all the way to Windhoek, the engine light illness now happening at random. I even focused my Go Pro on the Madman in an effort to find some commonality as to when the engine goes to idle. There was none, it would happen at high revs.low revs, low oil pressure, normal oil pressure, cold engine and warm engine. And let me just add at this stage that every corner was a near death experience, the LR felt like it wanted to roll at even the slightest bend in the road and it would simply not stay in a straight line. You could turn the steering wheel a good few centimeters before the vehicle reacted to it. Initially I thought this must just be a LR thing but it became worse and worse. And, the clutch was damn hard, it took great effort to depress the clutch. Again, i thought this is just another LR thing.

In Windhoek finally I found Gunther (also through this forum) and took the LR to him, explaining to him the problem with the engine light/no throttle response and the lack of reaction in the steering. I think my actual words to him was something like replace everything that it could possibly be. HUGE credit to Gunther who simply said no, lets first see what the problems are and then we work out what we replace or fix. A day later and Gunther said I should come pay him a visit, which already told me here comes problems. Look, I knew I bought a 20 year old vehicle and thus knew money would be spent. So Gunther walks me through the workshop to the Landy that is up in the air on a lift and starts pointing at things. The technical jargon got me lost but what did get my attention was when he said "you could have lost all steering"! After explaining to Gunther that I have no idea what he is pointing at he took me through everything part by part, option by option.

Here is what we found: The drop arm was bent and had a crack in it, no front or rear anti roll bar, tie rod end (ball joints) you could move as you wish and rubber was non existent, front prop shaft you could also move in any direction, looked like it was on the verge of falling out, signs of oil in the injector loom, faulty airflow meter and the crank sensor pins were bent. Gunther added that the clutch may need replacement as it should not be THAT difficult to engage. And he was right, clutch gave in a week ago, could not engage any gear and the clutch pedal would go down to the floor without engaging. O, and on the inside of 3 of the 4 tyres there are tears that compromises it for sure.

Thus far I have replaced the drop arm, fitted a rear anti roll bar with spacers (vehicle has a 2 inch lift), replaced the tie rod ends and ball joints, replaced the injector loom, crank sensor and airflow sensor and fitted a new front prop shaft. Next will be the clutch (and flywheel I suppose) and fresh tyres.

The Landy has ample power now especially compared to before, cornering is no longer a near death experience and no more engine light or going into idle mode, absolutely loving this LR! So yes, I definitely take note of your comments that I need to look after this machine, it is a beauty.
    Last edited by Stuka; 2019/07/11 at 06:26 PM.
    1999 Land Rover Defender Td5 110 SW

Hartlik welkom! Hoop die td5 gee jou eindlose plesier! sys pragtig!

Dankie Jakkals
    1999 Land Rover Defender Td5 110 SW

Very nice looking Landy, glad you are getting to grips with the old girl and sorting her out, safe motoring
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro V6 tdi ( Sold )
    VW Touareg V6 tdi ( sadly written off )
    2 x Toyota Celica GT4 Gen 6 (Sold) sadly missed
    2 x Toyota Celica Gen. 5 ( Sold ) not missed as much as the above.

"So, found this one in Cape Town with a fairly solid proof of history; engine was reconditioned at 250 000, serviced at regular intervals "

That sort of summarises the quality of work by Cape Town workshops if one considers the issues that were actually present.

Gunther sounds like a diamond though.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus