Pandamatenga to Robins camp





Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Age
    61
    Posts
    199
    Thanked: 9

    Default Pandamatenga to Robins camp

    Name:  Hwange map.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  648.2 KB
    Hi,
    Could I ask you folks a few questions about the route to Hwange, first time in Zimbabwe.
    We plan to drive Pandamatenga to Robins camp, but Tracks4Africa insist on the pink route, is it not possible to do orange or blue? Pink route would take 3.5 hrs, I've seen messages on the forum about it taking less time than that.
    From what I've understood, the border crossing is quite easy, we will be driving a rental 4x4, hopefully with all the correct documentation. The road shows 'permit required, Hunters Road' (on Tracks4Africa), is that necessary?
    Will the route still be dry at the beginning of November? (I know nothing is guaranteed! But from your experience?
    We plan to stay about 3-4 days, Mandavu camp and Sinamatelli seem firm favourites - would you stay in one place? And bearing in mind we'll be exiting again at Pandamatenga.
    Many thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,756
    Thanked: 658

    Default Re: Pandamatenga to Robins camp

    T4A is wrong you take the Orange road from the border to where it intersects the Pink road and then along the Pink road past Deka to Robins. About a 1.5 hour trip.

    Your settings in T4A or on your GPS must be selecting fuzzy somewhere. The Pink route goes via Kazuma Pan which is a major detour. I did a trip to Kazuma and can categorically state that it will take much longer than 3.5 hours especially if in the rainy season, we had to repair roads in some places. But what a beautiful route and real rough camping. Lots of elephants and other game! This area is worth a separate visit.

    When you arrive at Robins ask if Deteema dam is available and stay two nights it is definitely the best site in Hwange. You stay put at the camp everything comes to you. There is a hide and 2 flush toilets and running water most of the time. They have two solar boreholes that feed the dam and the camp site. They have a camp attendant on duty who will assist you with wood, make a fire etc. If you are lucky enough Abiott will be on duty. PM me if you want his details.

    Then spend one night at Sinamatella and the last night camp at Robins on your way out. On the way to Sinamatella stop off at Mandavhu dam for brunch.
    Last edited by TRON; 2019/07/12 at 11:22 PM.

  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    62
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: Pandamatenga to Robins camp

    Tron is spot on regarding the campsites . Robins has also been upgraded but have not been back since completed. Enjoy

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Age
    61
    Posts
    199
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: Pandamatenga to Robins camp

    Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    T4A is wrong you take the Orange road from the border to where it intersects the Pink road and then along the Pink road past Deka to Robins. About a 1.5 hour trip.

    Your settings in T4A or on your GPS must be selecting fuzzy somewhere. The Pink route goes via Kazuma Pan which is a major detour. I did a trip to Kazuma and can categorically state that it will take much longer than 3.5 hours especially if in the rainy season, we had to repair roads in some places. But what a beautiful route and real rough camping. Lots of elephants and other game! This area is worth a separate visit.

    When you arrive at Robins ask if Deteema dam is available and stay two nights it is definitely the best site in Hwange. You stay put at the camp everything comes to you. There is a hide and 2 flush toilets and running water most of the time. They have two solar boreholes that feed the dam and the camp site. They have a camp attendant on duty who will assist you with wood, make a fire etc. If you are lucky enough Abiott will be on duty. PM me if you want his details.

    Then spend one night at Sinamatella and the last night camp at Robins on your way out. On the way to Sinamatella stop off at Mandavhu dam for brunch.
    Many thanks, that's all clear now. Would you say that it's not necessary to pre-book (beginning November), and we would find some camp site even if not the best spot? That would leave us a bit more flexible with the days before we arrive there, and even try to spend more time there if we can. But then again if Deteema Dam is bookable it seems a shame to miss out on that experience … decisions decisions!
    I will pm you for Abiott's details. Am I right in thinking the camp staff would appreciate provisions such as tea, coffee, sugar etc instead of a cash tip?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Age
    61
    Posts
    199
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: Pandamatenga to Robins camp

    Quote Originally Posted by gojo View Post
    Tron is spot on regarding the campsites . Robins has also been upgraded but have not been back since completed. Enjoy
    Thanks, will report back on Robin's Camp.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    67
    Posts
    4,764
    Thanked: 4005

    Default Re: Pandamatenga to Robins camp

    Quote Originally Posted by daj View Post
    Am I right in thinking the camp staff would appreciate provisions such as tea, coffee, sugar etc instead of a cash tip?
    Absolutely!
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

    daj

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    53
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Pandamatenga to Robins camp

    Am I right in thinking the camp staff would appreciate provisions such as tea, coffee, sugar etc instead of a cash tip?

    Yes they really appreciate, we have added some tinned food as well.
    Just do not mention it at the Zimborder, when asked if you have anything to declare. Everything not for own consumption or use is seen as imports and attracts import duty (lol) - as we have expierenced at Pandamatenga in 2018.
    anne-marie wiehahn

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mousie For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Age
    61
    Posts
    199
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: Pandamatenga to Robins camp

    One last question I forgot - how can you pay at the border and the park? Credit card or which currency is it best to use?
    Thanks

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,756
    Thanked: 658

    Default Re: Pandamatenga to Robins camp

    USDollars.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,756
    Thanked: 658

    Default Re: Pandamatenga to Robins camp

    When you WhatsApp Abiot ask him what he would like. Cash is always appreciated as they aren’t paid at the moment. Cooking oil, salt, sadza, flour and the like are extremely expensive in Zim.

    walk in rates are the cheapest way of going so I won’t bother with bookings. Ask for Deteema when at Robins and if available work around that with the other sites. You will always getting a site at Robins and Sinamatella so they should not be an issue.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    200
    Thanked: 117

    Default Re: Pandamatenga to Robins camp

    You got some good feedback above daj. We returned from our Gonarezhou/Hwange trip last week(4 vehicles with off road caravans) and mpw:

    - US $ still the preferred currency even in the parks
    - Plan your fuel carefully as it remains a scarce commodity and even in Bulawayo we had to work on a " private" arrangement with almost all fuel stations being closed or inactive ( no stock) - depends on your trip distance
    - The orange route is the one we took and 1,5 hours between Robbins and Panda border. Corrugated but no other challenge.
    - Liked Deteema but nothing matched our experience at Masuma dam wrt game viewing
    - Avoid Main camp camping site if at all possible (our groups opinion)
    - Robbins Camp very much upgraded, camp site ablutions in show room condition but camp site experience was average. It should be noted that it was the last camp site after a 20 day trip through Gonarezhou and Hwange and we experienced great camp sites with those in Gonarezhou the high light.

    Enjoy Zim, great place with great people!
    Toyota Landcruiser 200 VX
    Bush Lapa Boskriek (780) - sold December 2018
    Bush Lapa Baobab (1601)

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stofstreep2 For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    gaborone
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Pandamatenga to Robins camp

    hi everyone
    i dont know if some of you have known the previous robins
    it used to be unfenced with many "visitors"
    to me it is now a kruger like sanitized camp where they tolerate campers
    different experience and i am sure tourists will be thrilled to have a swimming pool
    but still little and big toms are legend

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    59
    Posts
    16,100
    Thanked: 2331

    Default Re: Pandamatenga to Robins camp

    And take out your dentures and wear kidney belts.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •