Power steering fluid

Default Power steering fluid

Hi guys

My 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe power steering fluid level has dropped to the minimum level. Not sure how long its been at that level but presumably when it was serviced a few months back they would would have checked all fluids and topped up if necessary.

I admit I do not look under the hood often, and have not noticed the fluid level drop before.

Any Idea what fluid Hyundai uses. Should I be looking to flush the system and replace with fresh fluid? The fluid looks pretty dark through the reservoir.

Should I be concerned that that the fluid level is down to the minimum level, I cannot see any leaks or spots on the floor.

Appreciate all advice.

Thanks
    Kavesh

Default Re: Power steering fluid

I spoke to a mechanic at Hyundai and he suggested a flush. He also said that they use an expensive fluid but a good AFT made by Castrol should be fine.

What do you guys think? I am a little nervous with his advice.

Rather buy the Hyundai stuff at the dealer, then take it to any decent workshop and let them drain the old stuff and do the flush with ATF and then drain and put in the Hyundai steering fluid.

I've seen cases where ATF doesn't work well with old seals and then you have a leak.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

This baffles me. I sent my Sorento for a service. One item is "top up fluids"... Why should fluids be topped up in a closed system. If fluid disappears then it must be leaking = problem right?

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    This baffles me. I sent my Sorento for a service. One item is "top up fluids"... Why should fluids be topped up in a closed system. If fluid disappears then it must be leaking = problem right?
    Some systems like hydraulics ''sweat'' and degrade and over time, lowers fluid levels.
    Last edited by Estee; 2019/07/15 at 10:07 AM.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Some systems like hydraulics ''sweat'' and degrade and over time, lowers fluid levels.
    yep, volatile components evaporate under pressure and heat
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Rather buy the Hyundai stuff at the dealer, then take it to any decent workshop and let them drain the old stuff and do the flush with ATF and then drain and put in the Hyundai steering fluid.

I've seen cases where ATF doesn't work well with old seals and then you have a leak.

Thanks for the reply.

I complex is the job? I am fairly handy around the car and tend try to do what I can to save a buck.

If not a complex process I would like to attempt myself.

How much fluid is required (I suppose Hyundai can confirm) and I would still need to flush with ATF? How much ATF would the flush require?

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    I agree, the invoice after a service always states all fluids were topped up, although I have never confirmed this myself.
    In my 8 years of owning the vehicles they have never advised that the power steering fluid should be flushed.

Quote Originally Posted by kavesh View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I complex is the job? I am fairly handy around the car and tend try to do what I can to save a buck.

If not a complex process I would like to attempt myself.

How much fluid is required (I suppose Hyundai can confirm) and I would still need to flush with ATF? How much ATF would the flush require?
    The magic of the interwebs

https://www.google.com/search?q=repl...w=1707&bih=760
    Percivamus