Larger wheels on a Venter - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Larger wheels on a Venter

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Careful, bigger wheels also tend to put higher loads on wheel bearings, so it may be best to get new axle with higher capacity bearings if conversion is any more than 10 to 13 inch.
    Mike
    Please explain? I am a bit disadvantaged when it comes to things like that (pencil pilot)
    I always believed that the bearings would take less flack due to the wheel rotation and thus bearing rotation being less per km on 13"?
    Don't let schooling interfere with your education.
    Mark Twain

Hi PunimogMike N is quite right. Bigger wheels add weight to bearing surfaces therefore you need to change the Venter Hub for a hub and bearing housing that can take the extra un-sprung weight of the bigger wheel. Look at note regarding tapered bearings as well. Axle and hub / bearing assemblies are quite reasonably priced but look for a setup that is easy to maintain. Remember these light tag along trailers don't only have bearing wear and fatigue through the number of revolutions the tyres do, but the side / cornering pressures as well as the occasional bouncing. If you use them over rough terrain then this is accentuated. Did a short video of cross bush driving with the Venter. Clearance was good. I have used it on many trips in the past before current changes and never had a problems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr5a...ature=youtu.be
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:

Thanks Mike.
    I understand now.
    Don't let schooling interfere with your education.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Hi PunimogMike N is quite right. Bigger wheels add weight to bearing surfaces therefore you need to change the Venter Hub for a hub and bearing housing that can take the extra un-sprung weight of the bigger wheel. Look at note regarding tapered bearings as well. Axle and hub / bearing assemblies are quite reasonably priced but look for a setup that is easy to maintain. Remember these light tag along trailers don't only have bearing wear and fatigue through the number of revolutions the tyres do, but the side / cornering pressures as well as the occasional bouncing. If you use them over rough terrain then this is accentuated. Did a short video of cross bush driving with the Venter. Clearance was good. I have used it on many trips in the past before current changes and never had a problems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr5a...ature=youtu.be

This is difficult for me to accept. You go to Burquip and buy an axle rated at 900kg as far as I am aware that axle can take a 900kg load, in theory 450kg per hub. None of the axles I have ever bought has come with a specification for 900kg on 13" wheels.

the bearings do not carry the weight of the wheels, as far as I know, it is the other way round. If you have 10" wheels the trailer will be limited to 690 kg not because the bearings can take no more but the tyres have a carrying cpacity of 680kg. On 13" wheels you can load to 750 if the trailer is unbraked and for the same price you will be limited to 750kg if you run 14" or 15" wheels. I suppose if you slap 35" tyres on 19" hubs it might not go down well

Finaly it is usualy the size and rating of the axle stub and not the bearing ( taper or straight) that determines the rating of the axle. The bearings are usually way over the stub axle weight carrying capacity. The only load the bearings can "see" is that of the axle and what is loaded on the axle.

On our race car we have upgraded the diff to take 1500hp and fitted truck side shafts to handle the torque but never had to upgrade the bearings to take the 36" wide wheels
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Watched your very short video, info very help full - Planning to upgrade my Venter to 16" from 10" with 5 hole hubs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Potshot For This Useful Post:

I have put bigger wheels on a Venter Bush Baby to match those on the Defender. It was quite simple and not particularly expensive to just replace the axle and hubs also. I only had 2 hiccups.

The mudguards were too narrow and I had to widen then about 70 mm by welding a strip in.

My spare wheel would not fit and I had to make a new bracket for it.
    It was pretty simple.

It has covered a "gazillion" miles of rough Adrica since then without any problems.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DJR For This Useful Post:

Morning Gents Just a quick clarification here taper roller bearings need to be adjusted Ball bearings not, Now for the bit that none mentioned, There are thrust ball bearings available ie those used on frontwheel drive cars, The both sides of these bearings have a thicker side wall and are identified by a specific code, They are available from shops like Bearing Man SKF etc Taper roller bearing are prone to more failures because of bad maintenance. Common failures are adjustment to loose or to tight And the wrong seal at the inside Ideally that should be a double lip type seal that prevents grease from escaping and water/dirt from getting in. The thrust roller bearings come with seals on both side and do not need to be adjusted, The best way to fit a single lip type seal to prevent dirt ingress is with the lip facing outwards. Hope this helped
    Land Rover 300 Tdi Sadly sold
    Bush lapa Vlooi B263 This is the best investment I ever made,next to SWAMBO asking to marry me
    76 Series LAND CRUISER 4.2 Donkey It' now history
    The black TOUAREG V6 is history Will get one again one that works
    Now TYDSAAM is a PAJERO DiD GLS The Bush Lapa is NO HURRY
    And SWAMBO a TOYOTA YARIS
    The CORSA bakkie for the little tasks

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klaus-Dieter For This Useful Post:

Im trying to solve a similar puzzle.

I have a set of 285/70/17 BFG a/t that Id like to fit to my 1998 Bushbaby.

Better than the old Jeep tyres just laying around in my garage.

Good thread!!

This is what mine looks like now. Somewhere in the black strip on the wheel arhes is the join for the bit I welded in to widen them. You can also see the new spare bracket on the tailgate. The bigger wheel was too large and too exposed to let it hang under the tail of the trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJR For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=hbannink;4188191]This is difficult for me to accept. I think that anything is difficult to accept if you do not have all the inputs. I have read two very good inputs namely: - https://www.counterman.com/how-off-r...versal-joints/ and https://www.bluestar.com/get_informe...wheel-bearings We also need to consider what happens to the inner wheel assembly when cornering - ther is an unloading of trailer weight but loading of wheel weight. We also need to consider lateral load on outside wheels when cornering. We cannot just add bigger wheels, there is a definite relationship between wheel and bearing and hub and vehicle / trailer mass.

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    This is difficult for me to accept. ............................ I suppose if you slap 35" tyres on 19" hubs it might not go down well....................................On our race car we have upgraded the diff to take 1500hp and fitted truck side shafts to handle the torque but never had to upgrade the bearings to take the 36" wide wheels
    Mike your reference makes for informative reading but...... applied to cars. Counterman is mostly about the effect of larger wheels on the car (loose term for suv bakkie 4x4) and on most of their theories I fully agree. Larger wheels do have a huge influence on cv and universal joints and as I have said before going to ludicrous sizes will affect a trailer as well though nit as bad as a car.
    Bluestar does not mention anything but the importance of healthy bearings and consequences of failure but once again mostly aimed at cars

One point that I do agree on i the effect of changing the ofset of the wheel and thereby throwing the wheel centre out, that does put extra strain on the bearings

My little Venter had its whells changed from 10" to 13" more than 25 years ago. The 4 x 100 pcd was the same as golf wheels and when I fitted mags on my golf the trailer got hand me downs. The offset was -35, something I only found out muuch later. It has done more than 300,000km lugging electrical tools and materials around every day without any drama or failure. 1St time the bearings was replaced was 2 months ago when I gave the trailer a rebuild.

I bought an axle from Burquip about 6 weeks ago also with a 4 X 100 pcd and was offered 10,13 or 14" wheels on a 950 kg axle, I doubt Burquip will give such a choice if there was any possibility of damage due to larger tires.
    I maintain that moderate increase in Venter wheel size will have zero effect as long as the bearings are serviced on a regular base
    Last edited by hbannink; 2019/07/23 at 02:58 AM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    I maintain that moderate increase in Venter wheel size will have zero effect as long as the bearings are serviced on a regular base
    Thank you for your inputs on the subject Henk. I agree with your sentiments. My golf hubs are also 4x 100 but I have used 14 inch rims with 195 tyres for many years as well. I want to carry out a further change and that is to go to a 5 bolt hub so I can run 15inch wheels at same width say 195.. There is a company in Nelspruit who makes up axle assemblies to order, I will review with them to ensure correct spec for hub and wheels. I will be doing some bodywork alterations which I will post in another thread. I do not want to Hijack this thread that is focussed on wheels and related sizes

I take it for eg that a 6ft venter trailer bearing are designed to take a range of wheel sizes eg 10 to 14 inch and still be within safety parameters. I do agree that bearing load comes into play with vehicles on the driving wheels only. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking, but free wheeling wheel bearings are not susceptible to overloading as driven wheel bearings.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

So I kicked off my little project today, it will probably take am a long time to do everything I am planning and the planing may still change, but I took the first step today.

The trailer has not seen much use in the past 5 or so years so I checked tires and wheel bearings (also checked the spare). Gave the trailer a good wash inside and out. Took of the latches for the lid and nose cone and sanded them down (they were a bit rusted). Also sprayed them. Installed a little flag on the back so I can see the trailer when towing. Knocked out a couple of dents that accumulated over the years. It feels like it was a good days work even if it was only small things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190817_101949.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	425.1 KB 
ID:	537620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190817_114648.jpg 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	537621   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190817_150849.jpg 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	537622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190817_174530.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	537623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190817_174900.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	260.3 KB 
ID:	537624  

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds
    '01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3