New 10 speed Ranger gearbox - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: New 10 speed Ranger gearbox

Spoken to a friend who got new 2l twin turbo Wildtrack this morning. From Pretoria to Durban 14km/l (downhill) and to Capetown and back 12km/l at legal speed with family. When towing his off road caravan , tows and fuel consumption about the same as 3.2.

Wie sou dink dat Ford voertuie sou op die mark sit met Amarok engine in....

So I drove my mates 2.0 SiT and must say I am mighty impressed, what a pleasure. I noticed it actually skipped gears in the up-change 1st, 3rd, 5th and then 7,8,9, 10, depending on how you drive. Obviously with load or a trailer it will use all the gears. However in low range it uses all the gears and seems to battle or delay the changes while it is deciding what to do (because there are so many gears) and I think it is going to be quite an adjustment to use. That said the low range will only be used in extreme instances because there are enough gears in high range to just about do everything. Just my thoughts..

Quote Originally Posted by JohanJeep View Post
    Wie sou dink dat Ford voertuie sou op die mark sit met Amarok engine in....
    Lanklaas sulke stront gelees, ek sien jy raak dit kwyt in elke post rakende die Ford 2.0? Weet jy ooit hoe lyk een van die twee?
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2012 VW Polo GTi
    ex 2008 Audi A4 TDi
    ex 1998 Honda Civic Vtec
    ex 1998 Toyota Conquest RSi

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rambo7 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PUW View Post
    So I drove my mates 2.0 SiT and must say I am mighty impressed, what a pleasure. I noticed it actually skipped gears in the up-change 1st, 3rd, 5th and then 7,8,9, 10, depending on how you drive. Obviously with load or a trailer it will use all the gears. However in low range it uses all the gears and seems to battle or delay the changes while it is deciding what to do (because there are so many gears) and I think it is going to be quite an adjustment to use. That said the low range will only be used in extreme instances because there are enough gears in high range to just about do everything. Just my thoughts..
    Agreed

However the box has manual override for gears, and you can actually limit the amount of gears it uses. So you can set it that it may only change up to 6th gear as an example

Best regards
    Philip
    LR: '11 Rangie 5.0 S/C & '01 Disco 2 XS 4.6 V8
    Ford: '19 Ranger 3.2 XLS Manual SuperCab 4x4 (XLT was horrible)
    Chevrolet: '70 C10 350ci / 700R4 (4-sp Overdrive) & '59 Apache (Stepside)

Hi Guys

My raptor have 28000km on and is going for its 2nd service soon no issues love the raptor

Ive done about 16000km in mine now (Mine is the SiT) and have not had any issues to date, touch wood.

I also don't understand the comments around excessive gear changes. Besides a few low down gear changes that are barely noticeable you can't really feel the gear changes from say 6-10..... It really is a very smooth box and does just what it needs to when it needs to do it without any driver input further than the throttle position!

I have also done a small amount of sand driving with it and it really has been amazing there! It just cruises through the thickest of sand, although I'd love to take it for a day of dunes at Atlantis just to see where the limitations are.

As an ex-Hilux driver I am quite impressed with this Ranger so far, my only complaint so far is that i feel the XLT is "too nice" for me. I reckon the XLS may be better suited to me but that would need to be a 2.2 or 3.2 then!

My cousin had a total gearbox failure on his way to me this morning. No drive at all, vehicle on 13 000KM so not even had its first service. Currently being diagnosed but he is understandably not impressed at all.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Hi all

By choice, I drive a 2019 6-speed auto Puma 2.2XL, but I follow all the new Panther models with interest.

In one YouTube video, some 'new' Aussie guy tested 5 or 6 different bakkies under the same conditions. Contrary to the usual Aussie positivity toward Ranger T6, this guy was very negative toward the new 10-speed of the XLT and Wildtrak, saying that, especially in sand-driving, the Ranger's box gives endless gear-shifting. He scored them very low.

Now I do not have any experience in sand-driving, therefore I would like to have a few answers from experienced drivers, please. Is there any truth regarding the guy's statement? Is the 10 auto a better or worse choice than the 6 auto?
    Skihili

2019 Ford Ranger 2.2 DC 4x4 Auto
    Old school. QL is not an instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by Skihili View Post
    Hi all

By choice, I drive a 2019 6-speed auto
    IMO that was a very wise choice.

This 10-speed nonsense is just an extreme case of "mine is bigger than yours" marketing hype and deceipt. It has little technical merit unless it was fitted to an engine with an extremely narrow torque band (such as the 2.0 diesel??) where that many gears are required to keep the engine in its torque band to get any kind of acceptable performance out of it.

I have a 3.2 6-sp manual Ranger and I only use gears 2,3,4 and 6. My Jensen with its 7.2L engine (lots of torque) only uses gears 2,3,4 of its 4 sp auto gearbox. The point is: the wider the torque band you have, the LESS gears you need.
    Best regards
    Philip
    LR: '11 Rangie 5.0 S/C & '01 Disco 2 XS 4.6 V8
    Ford: '19 Ranger 3.2 XLS Manual SuperCab 4x4 (XLT was horrible)
    Chevrolet: '70 C10 350ci / 700R4 (4-sp Overdrive) & '59 Apache (Stepside)

I decided on the 2.2 Puma engine and 6 speed (auto) box, partly on the grounds of Ryan Crocker's evaluation of his own double cab, albeit a manual version, and partly because I traded my previous Ranger, a beautiful 2017 Supercab 4x2 6 auto in on just shy of 40000km. That old truck's average fuel consumption was 8.2litres per 100km over its total 38700km with me. Not a single glitch between August 2017 and November 2019.

I had no other choice but to get rid of the old truck: it was solely driven by the fact that safety belts have become illegal in the back of a supercab truck. Ford refused to fit them. And she was still worth enough to settle her own loan.

So far the 4x4 with auto box is a bit slower and thirstier than the supercab, but this is to be expected and acceptable. However, during the 4x4 Introductory Course I did, I realised what Ryan claims that the 2.2 engine becomes an animal in 4x4L mode, is the truth. The only negative factor on the 4x4 XL is the absence of Hill Descent Control variable speed by Cruise Control: the aftermarket cruise control of the XL has no effect on the HDC.

This truck will be used in future mostly in the so-called Overlander role. I am not interested in riding dongas, mudpools excessive rocks or deep rivers. My brother taught me that he uses his 4x4 2.8 Colt of 2008 vintage only where the 4x2 Difflockers can travel. According to him, a 4x4 truck per se is only meant to be driven like that. It is not up to us to try and proof what the factory was meant to proof. Besides, the purchase price of my truck included a 6 years/90000km MAINTENANCE plan. So she stays as I bought her.

That's enough for me.
    Skihili

2019 Ford Ranger 2.2 DC 4x4 Auto
    Old school. QL is not an instructor.

I think that 10 speed is an awesome box

Quote Originally Posted by Bostokkelos View Post
    I think that 10 speed is an awesome box
    Agreed! Loving mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Van der Poll View Post
    Agreed! Loving mine!
    Have you towed with it?

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Have you towed with it?
    Not any long distance, pulled our work generator(700kg excl. trailer) from Stikland to Maitland with a rental, double axel, trailer. about 40km. Pulled strong up and down a few hills. I'm going to pull my dads small camping trailer up to Langebaan in a few weeks. I'll see how that goes but the 2.0 is so strong I can't foresee any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    My cousin had a total gearbox failure on his way to me this morning. No drive at all, vehicle on 13 000KM so not even had its first service. Currently being diagnosed but he is understandably not impressed at all.
    Another one here, from post #14

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...k-2-0-Bi-turbo

I'm loving my 10speed 2.0SiT
    now on 15,000km of which 4,000km was towing fully loaded through Bots and Zim - towing on the open road was a pleasure and the fuel consumption very pleasing @ 8.9km/l
    the offroad towing included lots of thick sand, mud and water with high-range most of the time and it handled everything with ease. i used low-range once or twice just for the sake of it

a nice feature of this box is that you can limit the numbers of gears used depending on conditions/demand, it works a charm (maybe the chaps testing the bakkies and writing these reviews should read the manual first -this feature transforms the box and driving experience in sand driving, and slow hilly offroad towing conditions)
    Ford Ranger 2.0
    Bush Lapa Miskruier

Quote Originally Posted by LS d2 View Post
    I'm loving my 10speed 2.0SiT
    now on 15,000km of which 4,000km was towing fully loaded through Bots and Zim - towing on the open road was a pleasure and the fuel consumption very pleasing @ 8.9km/l
    the offroad towing included lots of thick sand, mud and water with high-range most of the time and it handled everything with ease. i used low-range once or twice just for the sake of it

a nice feature of this box is that you can limit the numbers of gears used depending on conditions/demand, it works a charm (maybe the chaps testing the bakkies and writing these reviews should read the manual first -this feature transforms the box and driving experience in sand driving, and slow hilly offroad towing conditions)
    That's good to hear! I am seeing more and more of them on the road. Also the reviews read and watched before I purchased were all great. What sort of consumption do you get on your day to day driving if I may ask?

my day to day avg consumption is currently on 11.5km/l
    this is commuting from Roodepoort to Centurion daily, combination of N1 and N14 peak hour traffic
    Ford Ranger 2.0
    Bush Lapa Miskruier

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast