New 10 speed Ranger gearbox

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New 10 speed Ranger gearbox

Good day friends

I am thinking of upgrading to the 2L Wildtrak, but just heard from a colleague who`s friend is a mechanic at a Ford dealership, that they had 3 gearbox replacements since the face-lift came out. These gearboxes are then to be sent away for analysis.
    I have done some research and nowhere on the internet is there any mention of people complaining of their transmission failing or even giving any problems.

Can any of you guys give me a heads-up before I sign on the dotted line.

Thanks a lot.

Default Re: New 10 speed Ranger gearbox

I'd take any 'friends of friends' stories with the pinch of coke they probably deserve!
    FJC - Just Cruising

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Well its been doing duty in the F-150 and Mustangs for a while now as well as a few GM's like the Camaro

Can't really comment on reliability, only have 1500km on mine, and so far its been fantastic

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mannemerak For This Useful Post:

Mine is on 3000km and it’s a fantastic gear box.
    The Raptor has gone through some proper testing, lots of off-road and deep sand driving.
    No issues with the gear box that I know of.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fly340 For This Useful Post:

Hi N3il J,

We have 5 new Wildtrak's at work with the 10 speed auto's, and they are surprisingly fun to drive. I think they will be great once you are used to them.

x1 is currently at Ford with an issue on the gearbox. Just over 2'000km on the odo... The lady who deals with Ford is already away on weekend, but will ask her on Monday, what the complaint is and what the actual repair will be.
    Last edited by Redman; 2019/07/12 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    Hi N3il J,

We have 5 new Wildtrak's at work with the 10 speed auto's, and they are surprisingly fun to drive. I think they will be great once you are used to them.

x1 is currently at Ford with an issue on the gearbox. Just over 2'000km on the odo... The lady who deals with Ford is already away on weekend, but will ask her on Monday, what the complaint is and what the actual repair will be.

Thanks Redman for your reply.
    Keep us updated as soon as you get more info on that faulty `box.

Some info re the 10 speed autobox.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...0speed-gm.html

Quote Originally Posted by PUW View Post
    Thanks for your input PUW.

Quote Originally Posted by N3il J View Post
    Thanks for your input PUW.
    PUW I Just went through the last month`s CAR magazine where they test the 2.0L Wildtrak. The mechanical stats show the gearbox has the same ratios as the one used in the States. So we should not have any issues here.
    But I am still curious about Redman`s Wildtrak that went in for a fault...

PUW I Just went through the last month`s CAR magazine where they test the 2.0L Wildtrak. The mechanical stats show the gearbox has the same ratios as the one used in the States. So we should not have any issues here.
    Hi N3il... We've had our first gearbox replacement on the 10-Speed... Ford did not disclose to the manager of our fleet what the exact cause was, only that they will replace it... I managed to talk to the sales manager who's vehicle it is, and he said that it felt like the vehicle was slipping gears... This guy came from a 3.2 Ranger with the 6 speed auto, and that vehicle gave him no issues at all... I mention this as we've had quite a few documented problems with the Ford's in the past, but since this guy hasn't had any issues I do not think it is driver abuse...

So I do not think I will add value, as I wouldn't be surprised if this is as a precaution from Ford's side... Being a new product on the market in real use (not testing environment), they might have replaced it to test the other one... I'm not 100% sure...

I had a quick look under another 10-speed Wildtrak... This gearbox seems to have aluminium housing? Not sure if this is correct? If this is the case I think it will be even more sensitive to cooling issues... We've had a lot of problems with the T6 Rangers when they were launched... Especially the initial consignment... Became better later on...

So sorry, no real feedback from me... Ford replaced it no questions asked, but without divulging the exact reason...

I don't think there is a gearbox made in the last 30 years that doesn't have an aluminium housing. I cannot even begin to think why that would feauture. Cooling is usually taken care of by a gearbox cooler. Not the material the gearbox is made of.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    I don't think there is a gearbox made in the last 30 years that doesn't have an aluminium housing. I cannot even begin to think why that would feauture. Cooling is usually taken care of by a gearbox cooler. Not the material the gearbox is made of.
    Hi Stephan, thank you for the correction... My assumption that this might be due to ability to handle heat is then the wrong one ... The reason this featured is cause this was an observation I made, and nothing from Ford... As mentioned we had no feedback on why it was replaced

We have two 2l wildtracks at work both just below 5000 km and both no issues.

They truly are a step up from the 3.2l previous model and my hilux does feel like an oxwagon if I get out of those into the Hilux.

5000km obviously is no indication of reliability only time will tell but it sounds like there is a big sample here on the forum to give us feedback on reliability.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mal Hannes; 2019/07/16 at 06:41 AM.
    Dash Fibre: Doing internet differently, drawing customers with best price, keeping customers with best service.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

MSR

Die ou op die linkerkant park darem lekker..😊
    Maar hier nog iets oor die 10 spd Ford/GM
    https://www.autoinfluence.com/11-thi...-transmission/

Speaking of Recalls

Yes, there was a small recall of (2017-1 F-150’s and (201 Expeditions, equipped with the 10-speed transmissions, earlier this year. The modest recall consisted of 142 units in full, and was based around the improper installation of a roll pin, which could potentially cause a loss of the ‘Park’ function. That said, the recall went into effect earlier this year, with all owners notified and without further issue.

Quote Originally Posted by janseekat View Post
    Die ou op die linkerkant park darem lekker..😊
    Maar hier nog iets oor die 10 spd Ford/GM
    https://www.autoinfluence.com/11-thi...-transmission/

Speaking of Recalls

Yes, there was a small recall of (2017-1 F-150’s and (201 Expeditions, equipped with the 10-speed transmissions, earlier this year. The modest recall consisted of 142 units in full, and was based around the improper installation of a roll pin, which could potentially cause a loss of the ‘Park’ function. That said, the recall went into effect earlier this year, with all owners notified and without further issue.
    Ek het geweet ons gaan pak kry oor die parkering maar ek dink dit was dag 1en hulle wou seker maak hulle krap nie daai nuwe verf nie.
    Dash Fibre: Doing internet differently, drawing customers with best price, keeping customers with best service.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Al wat ek kan se is dat mens net daardie ratkas uit waarborg moet ry hy het ses clutches in en gebruik twee op n slag om ratte te verander en ek lees dat hy meer as 25% vinniger verander as n porche se pdk ratkas maar jy gaan huil as iets fout gaan uit waarborg dink dit is maar die moeite werd om die waarborg te extend na 7jaar toe as jy hom n rukkie gaan ry.
    maar die ding lyk awesome dis verseker.

Sounds like an awesome transmission. Hopefully there is expertise in Saffa to fix it when it goes awry, like ZF for their 8-speed boxes.

Would be interesting to know how this gearbox performs under Low Range conditions?
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFS..._as=subscriber
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    Hi N3il... We've had our first gearbox replacement on the 10-Speed... Ford did not disclose to the manager of our fleet what the exact cause was, only that they will replace it... I managed to talk to the sales manager who's vehicle it is, and he said that it felt like the vehicle was slipping gears... This guy came from a 3.2 Ranger with the 6 speed auto, and that vehicle gave him no issues at all... I mention this as we've had quite a few documented problems with the Ford's in the past, but since this guy hasn't had any issues I do not think it is driver abuse...

So I do not think I will add value, as I wouldn't be surprised if this is as a precaution from Ford's side... Being a new product on the market in real use (not testing environment), they might have replaced it to test the other one... I'm not 100% sure...

I had a quick look under another 10-speed Wildtrak... This gearbox seems to have aluminium housing? Not sure if this is correct? If this is the case I think it will be even more sensitive to cooling issues... We've had a lot of problems with the T6 Rangers when they were launched... Especially the initial consignment... Became better later on...

So sorry, no real feedback from me... Ford replaced it no questions asked, but without divulging the exact reason...
    Thanks anyway Redman

I wanted the Ranger auto (yes crossed over from hilux!) but did not trust the 6-speed auto so bought a 3.2 manual. Bakkie drives like a truck and pulls like a train considering I have 285 muds on her. The motor is very flexible and can drive from as low down as 70km/h in 6 gear, and don't need to change much on the hills either! The anti-stall and first gear low range is a monster, have had all four wheels spinning on tar trying to tow a forklift out of the sand without touching the accelerator! However since driving the Wildtrack biturbo I am very tempted to make the change to the 10 speed auto but I still want to run with the 285 muds occasionally. I am not sure what the affect will be, don't want a vehicle that is hunting for gears all the time. Have heard however that the biturbo tows better than the 3.2...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fM1-qeQ3RA

so they say...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast