Buying land in Mozambique - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Buying land in Mozambique

Donít buy land in Africa - Africans donít understand the concept nor respect the law of private ownership of land - itís coming to South Africa and Namibia soon - go and study the communist manifesto to understand how they think. Only buy land in a country that has strong private land ownership laws or be prepared to loose your money.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Life For This Useful Post:

About 8 or 9 years ago while we were camping with my sister and a few of their friends in Bilene one of the friends told us casually that he had just paid R90 000 to a long term client of his, a Portugese man who lived in Maputo, to buy land on his behalf from one of the chiefs in Bilene. The land in question was "on" the lake, on the peninsula that separates the lake from the ocean on north eastern side of the lagoon mouth. The friends plan was to build a holiday house there. When he found out that I am an architect he arranged with the chiefs sons, who also operated a ferry service across the lagoon to take us to see the land in question so that he could explain to me how well his intended design was thought out.
    Since the land he "bought" came without a survey diagram it was up to the locals to point out that the land he was buying was from that tree to that pole and then after a bit of arguing between them they said it went down to that pole and that clump of trees close to the shore, turns out it was a odd shaped diagram on a steep sandy slope with at most a 8 or 10m wide access onto the lake, clearly not the waterfront he thought he was getting.
    He didn't seem to have considered that if you build a fancy holiday get away in the middle of the local mud hut settlement an hour or more from Bilene there is a very very good chance that the stuff you took there wont be yours for very long after you left to go back to your job in Gauteng.
    His plan was to build a conventional house, bricks mortar etc, like in Gauteng. It can be done- but it would be expensive since all the materials would have to be trucked to the site all the way around the lagoon through the bush on non existent roads. Then you have to get a building crew that knew how to stabilise a dune that could to execute to your Gauteng standards, I thought that was not going to be easy.
    I suggested that it would be a better idea to build a light beach shack with locally found materials, primarily wood and ferry only the small items like sanitary ware across the lake, at least the labour could possibly be local.
    Then there was the important issue of land ownership, this was not something the chief or his sons could explain, we learned later that it could only be on a lease and that the chief could not lease out land as he likes for reasons earlier mentioned by others.
    When asked about it a few years later he mumbled that the money had vanished and the dream house was still somewhere in the cloud.
    I wonder if it is the same chief and his sons that are still scamming the visitors?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dawid Rabie For This Useful Post:

There is only one reason to buy a holiday home, the capital appreciation because otherwise it's certainly not cheaper than renting a holiday home. Capital appreciation in the southern end of Africa? Not at the moment. Building on land you do not own?
    In a world where you can be anything, be kind. Charlie Brown.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steady For This Useful Post:

Stay away, i lost R500k, i paid over money to a guy , had papers etc etc, he just never paid it over to the owner, so we lost everything!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiaan_za For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Life View Post
    Donít buy land in Africa - Africans donít understand the concept nor respect the law of private ownership of land - itís coming to South Africa and Namibia soon - go and study the communist manifesto to understand how they think. Only buy land in a country that has strong private land ownership laws or be prepared to loose your money.
    Having travelled enough in africa, one thing i do know is that the signature of an african means nothing.
    They wont take you to court if you do them wrong, but they will slit your throat.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Desperate Dan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    However you seem to be able to buy a house even if you are not Mozambican.

Some gated complexes in touristy areas advertise houses and bungalows to foreigners.

Is there a difference between buying land and buying an already built property?
    Yes, this is possible. There are various options, you can buy timeshare and "property" / houses , prebuilt or built to order. The "owner" (a registered business in Moz) of the properties has a 99 year lease, you buy the improvements.

Speak to this guy, he's a SA working in the property business in Belem but has properties all over Moz for sale: Marc (Pm me for his number)...

Wow I can't believe this. What a coincidence .Yes I'm almost 90% sure it is
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawid Rabie View Post
    About 8 or 9 years ago while we were camping with my sister and a few of their friends in Bilene one of the friends told us casually that he had just paid R90 000 to a long term client of his, a Portugese man who lived in Maputo, to buy land on his behalf from one of the chiefs in Bilene. The land in question was "on" the lake, on the peninsula that separates the lake from the ocean on north eastern side of the lagoon mouth. The friends plan was to build a holiday house there. When he found out that I am an architect he arranged with the chiefs sons, who also operated a ferry service across the lagoon to take us to see the land in question so that he could explain to me how well his intended design was thought out.
    Since the land he "bought" came without a survey diagram it was up to the locals to point out that the land he was buying was from that tree to that pole and then after a bit of arguing between them they said it went down to that pole and that clump of trees close to the shore, turns out it was a odd shaped diagram on a steep sandy slope with at most a 8 or 10m wide access onto the lake, clearly not the waterfront he thought he was getting.
    He didn't seem to have considered that if you build a fancy holiday get away in the middle of the local mud hut settlement an hour or more from Bilene there is a very very good chance that the stuff you took there wont be yours for very long after you left to go back to your job in Gauteng.
    His plan was to build a conventional house, bricks mortar etc, like in Gauteng. It can be done- but it would be expensive since all the materials would have to be trucked to the site all the way around the lagoon through the bush on non existent roads. Then you have to get a building crew that knew how to stabilise a dune that could to execute to your Gauteng standards, I thought that was not going to be easy.
    I suggested that it would be a better idea to build a light beach shack with locally found materials, primarily wood and ferry only the small items like sanitary ware across the lake, at least the labour could possibly be local.
    Then there was the important issue of land ownership, this was not something the chief or his sons could explain, we learned later that it could only be on a lease and that the chief could not lease out land as he likes for reasons earlier mentioned by others.
    When asked about it a few years later he mumbled that the money had vanished and the dream house was still somewhere in the cloud.
    I wonder if it is the same chief and his sons that are still scamming the visitors?
    Even the asking price is the same of R90 000. I'm more than convinced that it's the same scammers and the size as you say it's from that tree to that tree. These are the pics of the land in question. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190711_154508.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	534847Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190711_154409.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	534848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190711_154404.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	534849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190711_154510.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	534850

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mbu For This Useful Post:

This is exactly what I tried to convince my family on . Ie We have time shares on 3 resorts in Mozambique. Isn't that owning enough.Do you really need to buy and build ? For what when you have a well maintained house in a foreign country and all you have to do is tell the people managing it is when would you like to visit "your house".
    Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    Yes, this is possible. There are various options, you can buy timeshare and "property" / houses , prebuilt or built to order. The "owner" (a registered business in Moz) of the properties has a 99 year lease, you buy the improvements.

Speak to this guy, he's a SA working in the property business in Belem but has properties all over Moz for sale: Marc (Pm me for his number)...

Quote Originally Posted by Mbu View Post
    I'm currently in Mozambique Prada Bilene.Im considering buying a prime spot next to a river. It was offered to me by a staff member of where I'm staying who claims to be related to a chief in the area and introduced me to sons of the chief. Can a foreigner own land in this country. Is it possible that I'm about to be conned. Can a chief give land to a foreigner? Is it a legal transaction?
    I have lived here for 11 years and have a complete run down on the legalities re buying of land in Mozambique.
    If you want I can email you all the necessary rules etc.

Please be very wary of "deals" as you have described. They are not legal and you will be taken for a ride.
    Email me on [email protected].

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Smith 47 For This Useful Post:

Mbu

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Tony, where is your land in Mocuba? I pass through a few times a year, especially now that the road to Milange is finished and in good nick.

What do you farm there?

I always quite liked the area , although I never really stop there for long , just drive through on the way to the coast.

Cheers
    Sorry, just saw this now.

It's about 22 k's outside of Mocuba on the road to Mugeba on the left hand side heading north. I was growing maize and soya, but I have shut down all operations there. Although the yield was incredible, every official in country decided that they need a share and by the time I got the crop to Quelimane or Beira I sold it at a loss. 2 of my trucks were "impounded" until I paid somebody something. It just didn't stop.
    The farm has 15km river frontage on the Licungo river, it was previously known as the Namagoa Plantation which was a 42,000 ha operation when owned by the Portuguese, they grew sisal and cotton. There used to be a short cut through the farm to the Malange road until the Portuguese owners blew up the bridge across the Licungo when they left. It was a hell of big operation in those days.
    Since I left, the locals have moved in, so it's just a collection of thousands of mashamba's now. Sad, as it is an awesome spot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0044.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	325.7 KB 
ID:	534879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-028S.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	534880  
    Last edited by TonyP; 2019/07/23 at 10:39 AM.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

Sad situation. It's like everybody is out to milk you dry.My thoughts is what ever you did on that land ie money time etc people felt entitled because the land belongs to the government.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post

It's about 22 k's outside of Mocuba on the road to Mugeba on the left hand side heading north. I was growing maize and soya, but I have shut down all operations there. Although the yield was incredible, every official in country decided that they need a share and by the time I got the crop to Quelimane or Beira I sold it at a loss. 2 of my trucks were "impounded" until I paid somebody something. It just didn't stop.
    The farm has 15km river frontage on the Licungo river, it was previously known as the Namagoa Plantation which was a 42,000 ha operation when owned by the Portuguese, they grew sisal and cotton. There used to be a short cut through the farm to the Malange road until the Portuguese owners blew up the bridge across the Licungo when they left. It was a hell of big operation in those days.
    Since I left, the locals have moved in, so it's just a collection of thousands of mashamba's now. Sad, as it is an awesome spot.
    Its unfortunate that piece of land is now not productive.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    No foreigner can purchase land, they may only lease. And FRELIMO cancels leases at the drop of a politicians hat.

Find a local lawyer and ask.
    Not even locals/ Citizens can own land in Mozambique. All land belong to the state.

As for buying land from the chief? Not a good idea. You WILL get conned, you don't even know if he legally has a lease on the land in question.

Since it is a "prime spot" this just adds to the risk of developing someone else's land and even if no one has a DUAT (Lease) it is a cesspool of corruption to try get a lease.

Some have managed but familiarize yourself with the processes and decide if it is worth the effort before handing out ANY money.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Sad situation. It's like everybody is out to milk you dry.My thoughts is what ever you did on that land ie money time etc people felt entitled because the land belongs to the government.Its unfortunate that piece of land is now not productive.
    Yup, and the local population is unemployed and back to scratching out a miserable existence growing the dreaded Cassava just to fill their bellies.
    I employed about 50 people, gave them proper land, plowed and planted crops for them, firstly to teach them proper farming techniques, to provide them with good quality food and to earn extra income for their families from excess production. Bananas grow like weed there, they are all over the place, but we set up a proper banana plantation for them to have a cash crop.
    This is the beginnings of the banana plantation which eventually covered about 20 hectares

All of it down the tubes, but what do the officials care.
    As they say, Africa is not for sissies.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TonyP; 2019/07/23 at 05:08 PM.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

Yup, and the local population is unemployed and back to scratching out a miserable existence growing the dreaded Cassava just to fill their bellies.
    To be honest, I don't give a damn about them. They have the government they voted for, and deserve.

The same will happen here.

African Entropy will mean that eventually sub-Saharan Africa will slowly slide back into a feudal quagmire where it will stay for 500 years while the inhabitants figure out what democracy is.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I think I know where the area is, if I am not mistaken you can see the blown up bridge from the current road ( although there are a few broken bridges between there and Alto Molocue).

It was also my impression the the land there is really fertile, and with the river close by...

Shame that corruption is so entrenched in Moz. Good on you that you were able to start farming in such a hostile (politically) environment!

Whenever I am in Moz I get the impression that the people are great but those who have a little bit of power and control over others (at every level) are holding the country down.
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2019/07/23 at 05:48 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

I employed about 50 people, gave them proper land, plowed and planted crops for them, firstly to teach them proper farming techniques, to provide them with good quality food and to earn extra income for their families from excess production. Bananas grow like weed there, they are all over the place, but we set up a proper banana plantation for them to have a cash crop.
    This is the beginnings of the banana plantation which eventually covered about 20 hectares

All of it down the tubes, but what do the officials care.
    As they say, Africa is not for sissies.
    Terrible to say the least. Why kill the goose that lays golden eggs. Make no sense. Its greed and lack of foresight.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Mbu For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    To be honest, I don't give a damn about them. They have the government they voted for, and deserve.

The same will happen here.

African Entropy will mean that eventually sub-Saharan Africa will slowly slide back into a feudal quagmire where it will stay for 500 years while the inhabitants figure out what democracy is.
    Not entirely correct. Here in RSA people are more educated and can think critically. Despite inflammatory statements from politicians people are generally aware of the risk of slipping into a situation like Zimbabwe. Rest assured despite pessimism floating around SA will never sink to that level

You are so vulnerable dream on . A contract with a chief?.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cullen View Post
    You are so vulnerable dream on . A contract with a chief?.
    Most scams look so authentic to the victims it's only on hindsight do you realise how gullible and naive you actually were.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mbu For This Useful Post:

Not entirely correct. Here in RSA people are more educated and can think critically. Despite inflammatory statements from politicians people are generally aware of the risk of slipping into a situation like Zimbabwe. Rest assured despite pessimism floating around SA will never sink to that level
    I hope so. History in Africa indicates the reverse.

And with almost 30% unemployable, I'd say we're extremely close to a populist revolt. EXTREMELY close. Think French revolution.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast