Default Lower Lotheni road - conditions

Hi all

We're planning a visit to Bushman's Nek from Friday, for the coming week. A time ago, I drove to Underberg via Lower Lotheni road - Nottingham Road > Himeville > Underberg and remember the road conditions to be very good. We plan to go in a Ranger and Volvo platkar, with the platkar probably going through Howick > Bulwer.

What is the condition of the Lower Lotheni road at the moment?

Thanks
    Corne
    Ford Supercab 3.2 Auto 4wd

Default Re: Lower Lotheni road - conditions

Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by CorneV View Post
    Hi all

We're planning a visit to Bushman's Nek from Friday, for the coming week. A time ago, I drove to Underberg via Lower Lotheni road - Nottingham Road > Himeville > Underberg and remember the road conditions to be very good. We plan to go in a Ranger and Volvo platkar, with the platkar probably going through Howick > Bulwer.

Thanks
    Corne

As of about 4 months ago...fine. Some washboarding, etc, but nothing drastic. Such a beautiful area. Am Jealous. We're going in September - to KZN's Lothini Campsite area - which I think is...really...one of the most beautiful campsites I've ever been to anywhere.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by CorneV View Post
    Hi all

Thanks
    Corne
    Hi Corne.

How was your trip on the Lower Lotheni Road?
    We are going to Bushmans Nek next week and were thinking of doing the same route that you took.
    How was the road from Nottingham to Bushmans Nek?
    Cheers Lee.
    Lee Russon

Mitsubishi Triton 2,5 D.I.D 4x4 Super Select.

Hi Lee

The road from Nottingham to Himevile (this is the gravel section) is in good condition for a gravel road. We could happily travel in a 2x4 bakkie and I would even consider it in a softroader with fair clearance. Go slow, the scenery is good enough to enjoy at a slow pace and stop a few places anyway.

From Underberg, the sign for Bushman's is just out of town, right after crossing the Mzimkhulu river. This road is in fair condition (comparable to the Lotheni), there are couple of ruts and rough patches but nothing a softroader or better would have trouble with. Even, My BIL had a Volvo S40 and he was not happy, they could manage the road by going slowly.

However, if you pass the first turn-off and go for another 15km or so, you get to the other side of the loop-road, which also takes you to Bushman's. This road part of the loop is in much better condition. If memory serves correctly it will be the next turn-off to your right, I cannot remember if it is sign-posted. I cannot understand why nobody tells you about this option from the onset.

Enjoy, Bushman's is a fun venue, with lots of stuff to do on-site and close-by.

CorneV

Awesome. Thanks a lot.
    Lee Russon

Mitsubishi Triton 2,5 D.I.D 4x4 Super Select.

We wish to go from Nottingham Road to Underberg via the Lower Lotheni Road on Friday 14 May. Can anyone who has travelled it recently give an indication of road conditions? I shall be driving a 4x4 with high road clearance. Google Maps indicated that there are private roads with restricted access if your stick to Lower Lotheni all the way. Could that be a problem?

Are there any specific sights or experiences along the route to look out for?

Thank you

Friends of mine drove it on Saturday and didnít moan. Itís normally in decent condition, especially for a setup like yours.

Itís a district road with no private access, so donít worry about it. The whole route is very scenic, enjoy.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post: