Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Goodyear Wrangler Adventure no Kevlar?

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    I am not so much worried about the Kevlar, although it would be nice to have. I find it interesting to see people's opinion on tyres, usually reinforced by their own experience and sometimes also that of others.1. I have had 5 sets of Conti's over the years. Got 95 000+ km on every set, 2 flat wheels caused by pop rivet stems picked up in my driveway. My fault!2. Dunlop something or other - lasted all of about 25 000 km3. Pirelli's which made it into the 30 000's before sidewall damage/failure forced me to replace them4. Bought my first Isuzu 280TDi with Yokohama's. Lovely tyre, frightening in the wet5. Firestone Destination suffered serious tread delamination and were replaced before 20 000km. Nobody was interested in my complaints yet Firestone later admitted they had a faulty batch. 6. Hankook Dynapro ATM. Went to Namibia 4 years ago and travelled via AiAis, up the coast past Sossusvlei. Before I reached Solitaire (I only got to the T-junction) I had to return to Sossusvlei as I had my fifth flat tyre, one tyre literally exploded after I plugged the hole and I had to replace two tyres. To make matters worse I could only get two 255/70/16 tyres (Maxtrek) instead of 265/70/16. Could not travel in 4X4 as bakkie started to swerve from side to side at anything over 45 km/h. Finally replaced all the Hankooks (only done 22 000km!)in Swakopmund with Maxtreks. Never liked them much as they constantly chirp around corners. They have done 42 000km now.7. On 23/10/2019 we travelled to Krugersdorp. My brother bought my caravan and so I towed it to Krugersdorp from Cape Town and as his daughter was getting married on 26th October it all worked out fine.....ja right! On the N1 about 30km before one reaches or passes Vanderbijlpark .loud bang, bakkie sags on right rear with terrible noises reaching my worried ears! We were only doing 100km/h, which is my standard towing speed, so I let the rig slow down and pulled off the road. Right rear tyre complete tread delamination, cause some body damage in the process. Had to fit spare which had done 0km. But now I do not trust the remaining tyres at all and will replace them soon. I am leaning towards General Grabbers AT3( did buy a new one as a spare in 265/70/16) or Good Year Wranglers. My brother owns a Nissan NP300 DC with Wranglers which is giving him excellent service. I might just go for the Wranglers despite the Grabber spare wheel. I see no reason why that should be a problem...or am I missing something? I always only use the spare in case of need. Otherwise it remains in its place as a spare wheel.

Like u said, its all about experience. I went from grabbers 75 000km no isssues to goodyear wranglers adventues with kevlar and they didnt saw 50 000km lost 1 and 3 punctures needless to say back to grabbers

2024 VW Amarok V6 Tdi
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616
    2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Sold)
    2017 VW Amarok V6 (Sold)
    2023 VW Tiguan R-Line (Sold)

Appreciate that this thread is a bit old but while researching today, it seems that the Kevlar reinforcement is not offered on all sizes including the one I have on my car and this information is a bit buried away in the small print.

Seems slightly misleading to make it a product feature and not offer it on the whole range.

Regardless I am happy with my choice but wonder how much better they might have been I'd they were available with reinforcement.

I had more punctures in the kevlar Goodyear Wranglers than in any other tyres, including Chinese cheapies.
    Erin Bosch (082 342 1909)
    4xfagger no. GP0048

2012 VW T5 2.0BiTdi 132kW 4Mot Transporter

OK.
    I have used Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain tyres for so many years that I cannot remember, and have just replaced my full set with the Wranglers with Kevlar.
    OK too soon to tell if this was a good decision or not
    I sold three of the others with plenty tread depth left on them due to an unfortunate stone through the sidewall on the way back from Ithala GR a few months ago.

At one time (Long ago now) I did 14 000 KM through Southern Africa towing a trailer with RTT with not a single puncture on either trailer or Isuzu. Those were still the pre-kevlar version).

I have found them to be very reliable and at least as good as any others that I have read reports on.
    Not speaking km life here, but reliability and economy.

Being AT tyres, they are obviously by definition, a compromise between highway and off road situations.

Take that into account and then decide.

I have no idea which sizes have no Kevlar or any possible reason for that.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much better than answering the mobile.
    Waking up in the morning is a good start. Then remember never ever to cross off the last item on your "bucket list" before first adding at least one more !!

Isuzu KB 280DT D/C 1998 (WIP) Heading for 500 000 Km shortly.
    Platkar = 2010 Chevy Spark 1.2 (60 000 Km in 13+ years - town kar)

Hi everyone, any new issues on the Goodyear Wranglers Adventure with Kevlar?

Went through 3 sets of Wranglers on the tractor. Got around 50k on each of them - 3rd set was with Kevlar. 4th set with Kevlar went on at 150k before I decided to trade in for the sand flea. Never did any serious off roading (unless you count the tracks called roads in Olievenhoutbosch or the Delmas road) and had maybe one or two punctures in the 8 years I used them.

Last sales guy was quick to tell me that just because it says that it's Kevlar does not mean that it is impervious to road hazards.
    Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most... Occasionally I find it in the bush only to lose it again when returning to "civilization".

Current: "Sandvlooi" 2024 Suzuki Jimny 5 Door
    Previous: "The Tractor" 2016 Isuzu KB250 DC 2WD with Diff Lock
    SWAMBO: 2023 Toyota Corolla Cross

Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post
    I need to replace tyres on my Hilux 2.8 DC and am considering the Wrangler Adventure because of the Kevlar sidewalls.
    Went to see a dealer today and was told that Goodyear no longer make the Kevlar sidewalls due to a dispute with Dupont.
    can anyone confirm this?
    Thanks, Ron
    If you ate looking at Wrangler Adventure but worried about sidewall strength, why not go for the Wrangler Duratrac? Since this year they come out woth 3ply sidewalls (previous generation was 2ply). They are a bit more expensive that the Advebture but not nearly as pricy as BFG.

I am considering these to replace my BFG KO2s.

Quote Originally Posted by Pud View Post
    Wrangler Duratrac? Since this year they come out woth 3ply sidewalls (previous generation was 2ply).
    Did not know this. Been eyeing them as well, to me a very good looking tyre.
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by AndreZA View Post
    I am trying the All Terrain Adventure.
    Mine has Kevlar DuPont Reinforced Layer printed on them.
    My choice because of the LT spec.
    But i only have about 800Km on mine.
    P.E. Mountain Zebra and back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240417_201911.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	273.3 KB 
ID:	720001  
    Last edited by imgreg; 2024/04/17 at 08:26 PM.
    Defender Td5

Quote Originally Posted by Imvubu View Post
    I had more punctures in the kevlar Goodyear Wranglers than in any other tyres, including Chinese cheapies.
    I have to concur with this sentiment.
    I had always assumed, and this was vocally confirmed to me by the supplier I used, that the Kevlar was indeed in the sidewall...therefor I bought 4 new Wranglers about 9 months before embarking on a really rough off road trip, believing to be quite safe with my new tires..
    Long and short: I lost three virtually brand new Wranglers to side wall damage - two were utterly destroyed! Terrain varied: From loose rocks and steepish inclines to deep sand with branches and broken rubbish embedded...sticks and stone...
    Bought some cheapie Chinese tyres- road tyres - Kapsen - which proved to have stiffer side walls and after that I did not suffer ONE further puncture, even though the terrain was probably even worse than that already crossed...
    Needless to say: I will NEVER ever buy Goodyear again! Sidewall are made of toilet paper...
    Last edited by john_ysbeer; 2024/04/18 at 08:43 AM.
    John van Dyk
    Land Cruiser VX 4.7l V8 1999
    Mercedes Benz E 200K - nou seun se vrou se ryding
    Mercedes - Benz GLC 250 -2017
    Noname Boswa - binnekort in die mark - Augustus
    VW California 2.0TDi 2017

Quote Originally Posted by AndreZA View Post
    ON black top: Fine
    In bush: Rubbish!
    John van Dyk

I am on my second set of Goodyear Adventure All Terrains. Have done 1000's of kilometers across bad terrain in South Africa as well as Namibia. No issues, whatsoever. Granted, I do mostly overlanding and maybe not as serious off-roading as some of the members here. The only puncture I got was in town when a 50mm screw pierced the tread itself on the previous set. Given their price, all round performance and durability I will be hard pressed to buy anything else.

In the Weg! all terrain tire test a few years back the Adventure All Terrains also came out tops. The BFG was the only tire to fair better with the sidewall pierce test they performed. (With the BFG fairing significantly worse in almost every other test).

Full on off-road tires will perform better in extreme conditions, but then they will no longer be all terrain and be compromised in other categories (road holding, braking, price, noise, gravel driving, tar driving, etc)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kambro For This Useful Post:

I've used Wranglers for over 12 years on 2 different vehicles. Never had issues given that it is an AT tire.

Also saw the Weg test and was impressed with their results. Soon as the tires on the Fortuner are klaar I will go back to Wranglers.
    Die wasmasjien
    2016 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 4x4 Manual
    Baa Baa Black Jeep
    2004 WJ Jeep 4.7 HO Overland - GONE
    1999 Kia Sportage Gen 1 - GONE

I had a set of these. Got a lot of punctures (both sidewall and tread). Last year 2 of them developed sidewall leaks. Tyre place said it was run flat damage, but I don't think I've ever run them below ~1.6bar.

Currently on my 2nd set of Goodyear Wrangler Kevlars on my Isuzu and I do about 5k km to 6k km per month with half of that being very bad gravel and farm roads in the Karoo. Got about 70k km in my first set, with no punctures at all. No issues with grip on wet roads either. Another thing I noticed compared to my previous sets of tyres (Firestone's) before going over to the Wranglers is that they don't tend to get chipped as much by rocks.

I run mine at 1.8bar all the time. Use a TPMS to keep an eye on temps and pressures.
    Last edited by JeandlH; 2024/04/18 at 06:03 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeandlH For This Useful Post:

Kevlar in tyres is used for weight saving, it doesn't have anything to do with puncture resistance. The Kevlar layer allows for less steel to be used.
    2007 Volvo S60
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

19. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

The picture says it all.

Had the Kevlar Wranglers on my Fortuner. Excellent on road. Loved them.

But a stone the size of my big toe sitting in the grass absolutely destroyed the tyre.

It is luck of the draw. 2cm to the left and I would still be loving them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0668.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	720290
    Last edited by PeterS; 2024/04/20 at 08:13 AM.
    His - 2023 Subaru Forester

Hers - 2023 Toyota Corolla Cross 1.8XS

Soon I wil have 2x Wrangler 235/65/R17 with about 10k km done up for grabs... Will install 2x New cheapie Kapsens in their place...first need to get the Cali serviced...
    Truly: If I did not have the off road experience I had, I would still love them, but this vehicle is built for going where others hesitate... Can't afford NOT to trust my tires...
    When I go for my next overlander trip I will look at something different in that size...Grabbers? Apollo tires, ?? something else...Something with a proven strong sidewall..
    There will also be one 215/65/R17 Brand new looking for a new job.. currently my second spare...
    John van Dyk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2