Okavango delta and your vehicle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Okavango delta and your vehicle

Hi there.
    I've been watching videos of people traveling the okavango delta and i cant help but wonder....how does one go about to prepare your vehicle for all those water crossings and what happens if no preparation is done?

Looking forward to hear from you!
    • 1960's Land-Rover Series 2A 88" powered by Isuzu C190 (Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Towing, Boat launching, Rubbish tipper, Over landing, 4x4 tracks, 4x4 obstacles, Recovery vehicle, Sunday drives and Daily drive)
    • 2002 Toyota Hilux 3.0KZTE d/c 4x4 (long distance trips)
    • Want to need list: Snorkel, Onca Offroad bumper, Long range tank, New suspension, Intercooler, Custom Canvas interior, Winch, Recovery kit, Dual Battery system, Solar panel, Fridge/Freezer with unlimited beer, Unlimited fuel supply and time to travel the world in my 4by.

Default Re: Okavango delta and your vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Splitpin View Post
    Hi there.
    I've been watching videos of people traveling the okavango delta and i cant help but wonder....how does one go about to prepare your vehicle for all those water crossings and what happens if no preparation is done?

I just got back from my first trip, and very happy I had raised suspension, and proper tires. Life without a snorkle was okay and we did some deep crossings. I would have liked Maxtrax and a winch for peace of mind though, despite no major hiccups. The sand roads were more of a challenge being winter, so the extra height in the suspension helped massively.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JadeDsantos For This Useful Post:

Hi there.

Best advice: walk the water crossings before you attempt them. We learned the hard way - missed the detour sign at the Mababe water crossing & never walked it (no snorkel). Ended up hyrolocking the motor and had to limp back to Harare at 30km/per hour and get the engine rebuilt.

Was any preparation done to prevent ingress of water in the diffs and gearbox?
    • 1960's Land-Rover Series 2A 88" powered by Isuzu C190 (Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Towing, Boat launching, Rubbish tipper, Over landing, 4x4 tracks, 4x4 obstacles, Recovery vehicle, Sunday drives and Daily drive)
    • Want to need list: Snorkel, Onca Offroad bumper, Long range tank, New suspension, Intercooler, Custom Canvas interior, Winch, Recovery kit, Dual Battery system, Solar panel, Fridge/Freezer with unlimited beer, Unlimited fuel supply and time to travel the world in my 4by.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbaleee View Post
    Best advice: walk the water crossings before you attempt them. We learned the hard way - missed the detour sign at the Mababe water crossing & never walked it (no snorkel). Ended up hyrolocking the motor and had to limp back to Harare at 30km/per hour and get the engine rebuilt.
    That does not sound like fun! Sorry to hear.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Splitpin For This Useful Post:

Was any preparation done to prevent ingress of water in the diffs and gearbox?
    I'd always consider extending the breathers.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I believe water crossings are one of the top causes of serious 4x4 damage. I don't like them and would rather do a long detour than attempt a dicey water crossing, more so if traveling alone.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I'd always consider extending the breathers.
    Definitely a no brainer. Ive been looking at videos where people drive stock (what i mean by stock...A/T tires and some what looks like H/T, no suspension upgrades, no offroad bumpers, no winches, etc...just your normal alu cab canopy, RTT and jerries) Land Cruisers, Prados, Isuzu's you name it.... then i wonder if they have done prep work to the diffs and so on... i think i'm actually looking for someone who did a trip through the OD without them extended breathers and ask if there was any ingress of water,was oil changed after the trip (obviously not a drowned vehicle) and then the people whom have done the OD, allowed the paw paw to hit the fan and went back again after a few years prepared to the teeth (what prep work was done?)

Hi there.
    I've been watching videos of people traveling the okavango delta ....
    Those video's look cool but are actually quite stupid. Many a vehicle has drowned in the Delta and most of those could have been avoided.

Like DC said above, we hate water crossings and will do a long detour to avoid them. In the Delta, there will always be a fairly good detour around major water on main routes. Plus there are dry season routes from both 3rd Bridge to Xakanaka and from Xakanaka to North Gate. When on smaller routes on game drives and you keep getting water and more water, just turn around!

A snorkel will not turn you vehicle into a sub marine, don't be fooled for one second

Oh and walking water crossings...... haha are you croc proof?

Edit: we have done the Delta multiple times with un-modded vehicles in terms of diff and gearbox breathers and snorkels. Only AT tyres and one vehicle had aftermarket suspension. No winches, bull bars or lifts. Never had damage, but we don't see ourselves as Rambo.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/07/11 at 07:59 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    I believe water crossings are one of the top causes of serious 4x4 damage. I don't like them and would rather do a long detour than attempt a dicey water crossing, more so if traveling alone.
    And there are many detour routes that you can take to avoid water crossings in Moremi, Khwai and Mababe. Its just that we like to bring home those pictures of our vehicles behaving as amphibians under water.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Those video's look cool but are actually quite stupid. Many a vehicle has drowned in the Delta and most of those could have been avoided.

Like DC said above, we hate water crossings and will do a long detour to avoid them. In the Delta, there will always be a fairly good detour around major water on main routes. Plus there are dry season routes from both 3rd Bridge to Xakanaka and from Xakanaka to North Gate. When on smaller routes on game drives and you keep getting water and more water, just turn around!

A snorkel will not turn you vehicle into a sub marine, don't be fooled for one second

Oh and walking water crossings...... haha are you croc proof?

Edit: we have done the Delta multiple times with un-modded vehicles in terms of diff and gearbox breathers and snorkels. Only AT tyres and one vehicle had aftermarket suspension. No winches, bull bars or lifts. Never had damage, but we don't see ourselves as Rambo.
    I guess i'm with stupid <----- Glad i asked these questions...i thought it was all about turning ones 4x4 into a sub marine after I watched the videos. They don't show any detours..only talk about it. I know where to get info when i plan my trip.

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    Its just that we like to bring home those pictures of our vehicles behaving as amphibians under water.
    Thats me!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Splitpin For This Useful Post:

I guess i'm with stupid <----- Glad i asked these questions...i thought it was all about turning ones 4x4 into a sub marine after I watched the videos. They don't show any detours..only talk about it. I know where to get info when i plan my trip.
    Seems as if you don't like my answer.

But I stick with it.

Enjoy your submarine. Be sure to post a photo of it on a flat bed back to SA and the recovery bill as well......
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/07/11 at 08:18 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Seems as if you don't like my answer.

But I stick with it.

Enjoy your submarine. Be sure to post a photo of it on a flat bed back to SA and the recovery bill as well......
    Seems you don't understand my reply. Sure will be posting a photo enjoying the sunset with a cold one.

Snorkels gives a false sense of ability. Most snorkels are designed to get cooler/cleaner air to the engine, not for the vehicle to go swimming.

Unless you fit something like a "Safari" snorkel and instruct/oversee that the installer properly seal all the connections, you are looking for trouble.

Many people fit a snorkel but forget about the breathers, sensitive electronics and water getting into your vehicle. a Lot of the damages only manifest itself months or years later.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

I have to agree here. Deep water crossings are done for fun and close to home. Clever people detour or wait for the water to subside, whichever is more appropriate.

TuffStuff does do SADC recoveries. I suggest you get their cover.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Snorkels gives a false sense of ability. Most snorkels are designed to get cooler/cleaner air to the engine, not for the vehicle to go swimming.

Unless you fit something like a "Safari" snorkel and instruct/oversee that the installer properly seal all the connections, you are looking for trouble.

Many people fit a snorkel but forget about the breathers, sensitive electronics and water getting into your vehicle. a Lot of the damages only manifest itself months or years later.
    Noted!

I would rather prepare my vehicle as well as I can, what if there is not another way?

Selinga flats has one route no detour so the road is the road.... wet season we stopped counting at over a 100 lovely mud holes.

A set of diff breathers is probably the cheapest mod you can do to your vehicle?

River trip, getting out of the Moletotsi you have one choice - through the greater Letaba, in the 7 years it has been mostly easy crossing but one year it was deep - rather be prepared.

But always use your commen sence!!!
    Dirk
    Member - 4x4 Community
    Member - 4x4 Action Group (0044)
    Member - V Owners Group (VOG 081)
    Member - patrol4x4 forum

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to offroadbiker For This Useful Post:

Just buy a new Hilux, they can swim, or so the video showed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eTIOE1v3Wc
    Last edited by lizardalpha; 2019/07/11 at 09:34 AM.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

I wouldn't even do them for fun. As lekhubu94 mentioned they have done it in un modded vehicles...surely some maintenance/inspection was done afterwords?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast