Delamination - compensation from supplier ? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Delamination - compensation from supplier ?

3Bar, do you have a date decoding table please? So's I can check the others.
    Many thanks. PM is fine.
    Toyota Hilux 2.5 D4D SRX https://www.facebook.com/wild.safaris.5/

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    I have only ever bought a BFG tyre once. And on Sunday it delaminated on me. Granted, it is an older tyre, but so are my MAXXIS and they have never given me any problems.

Will I ever buy a BFG again, sorry, no.
    I had 2 year old BFG ATs with sidewall cracks. The Michelin rep told me it was because I must have run them at 1bar at some point while offroading, and because of that, I could not claim. They are not made for low pressures. It was my 3rd set, and went offroad fewer times than the previous time.

I will also not touch them again because of their attitude and bull.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    This is a Cooper tyre Henris
    That I realise, but they are not the only tyres that delam. Had a Firestone ATX also come apart on me. The tread went one way and there were just the 2 sidewalls still on the rim.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Henris I ran Maxxis on my Cruiser for many years (IIRC based on your advice ) and they performed very well.
    Would change all 6 back to them if I could afford it.
    However I bought this vehicle with the Coopers already in place.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Ghandi

3Bar, do you have a date decoding table please? So's I can check the others.
    Many thanks. PM is fine.
    http://us.coopertire.com/safety/side...on-number.aspx

So the above pictured tyre was manufactured 38th week of 2015.

Default Re: Delamination - compensation from manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    I tried this route. It is posted somewhere back here on the forum. Cooper delaminated - no gravel / no abuse. Rep got my hopes up and kept making promises which he broke and he (the Cooper rep) never even bothered to show. My contact at a tyre outlet said the Cooper rep is well known for his lax attitude. For that reason I will never run Coopers again. Someone else who had bad service from Coopers was threatened with legal action also posted on forum.
    Had same issues. A cooper stt pro with 7000km on. Tread blocks started coming off. Agent said it's due to tyre abuse as most the km were on gravel....seriously?!?

Needles to say will never buy coopers again.
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    modded 02' 105 series 4.5efi (big wheeled petrol thief)

Just checked my moms EOM GoodYears, 2 of the 4 tyres have the manufacture date, the other 2 tyres it's blank.
    Last edited by supersunbird; 2019/07/13 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    http://us.coopertire.com/safety/side...on-number.aspx

So the above pictured tyre was manufactured 38th week of 2015.
    Thanks Super,
    So I checked the other side: 1116. This tyre is less that 3 years old, and in excellent condition, which will interest 3Bar.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JohnT; 2019/07/13 at 03:06 PM.

On Post #15, above the second X, there is a date 09-13 or 9-13, most likely meaning it was manufactured in 9th week of 2013 if there is no other date making on the tyre.

Most manufacturers will not even look at a tyre older than 5 years.

That tyre is also starting to crack, so it was time to throw it off.

Most tyre company websites now tell you that once a tyre is older than 5 years, you must inspect it annually and replace it if cracks start appearing in the rubber. You can continue doing so until the tyre reaches its 10th birthday, then it MUST BE NO LONGER BE USED, not even as a spare for your trailer....
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/07/15 at 09:48 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Only now saw post #28.

Yip, that is the date (1116), 11th week on 2016 then. Yes, the date only appears one side of the tyre, not normally on both sides.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/07/15 at 09:52 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

I cant believe this tyre is a 1116 (11 week of 2016) date if Coopers use the same date system as everyone else, the weathering cracks are hectic. I would get their rep to check it and give you closure as these are premium off road brand that shouldn't just fall apart. Just make sure there are no previous puncture repairs done on the tyre.

Thank you all for your interest and advice.
    I am in contact with the manufacturer and will post the outcome here.

In this case I must have been lucky with Cooper Tyres.
    I bought 2 sets (2 Nissans) of Cooper ST 265/75R16 through Dunlop here in Botswana.

After about 8 months ne set started to develop sidewall cracks along the rims, the 2nd set soon afterwards.
    Got them replace under warranty (2 full sets) with new ST's

Same happened again after another 6 months and both sets were replaced by new Cooper STT's which I drove until finished.
    Today I am running Cooper ST Maxx on one vehicle the other one has a set of Good Year M/T R (Kevlar).

So my experience with Cooper services was excellent one but I got tired (Tyred ) of all the efforts to claim and swap around.

I guess the issue with the rubber compound has been resolved with the new ST Maxx as well as the ST Pro
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

I rather face a delamination once in while than having a flat tyre everyday.

I have done 140k with a set of 5 KO without any flat tyre under a hilux, and used it every weekend on the farm. I tried all the brands and flavours (including Henris flavour) on my farm vehicle over the years. After a few weeks the looks like a porcupine with plugs. The BFG after 4 years no plug still. The other day I drove 100m off the farm track with a new LC with those OEM dunflops, the next morning there were 3 flat tyres. BGF under the other bakkie still no flat after 70 odd k km.

Yes they dont like too low pressures, but I have a set dunflops for that.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/07/17 at 06:41 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

Still waiting assessment and feedback from 4x4 Megaworld (a Coopers agent) and visit by Coopers rep.

Still waiting assessment and feedback from 4x4 Megaworld (a Coopers agent) and visit by Coopers rep.
    Still waiting, apparently the Coopers rep is coming around later this week.

Conclusion:

The rep did come through eventually. No claim
    Apparently a plug had been inserted at some stage beforehand and had now begun a slow leak, leading to progressive tyre pressure drop on the trip, overheating and collapse.
    Moral of the story: a plug is a temporary fix. Repair asap with a proper 'vulcanised' patch on the inside.

Anyways I guess I'll migrate back to Maxxis - which have always served me well.

Conclusion:

The rep did come through eventually. No claim
    Apparently a plug had been inserted at some stage beforehand and had now begun a slow leak, leading to progressive tyre pressure drop on the trip, overheating and collapse.
    Moral of the story: a plug is a temporary fix. Repair asap with a proper 'vulcanised' patch on the inside.

Anyways I guess I'll migrate back to Maxxis - which have always served me well.
    Did that actually happen?

Or did the rep do what they often do and open his bag of tricks and whip out a plausible sounding but otherwise pure bs story to explain away the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Did that actually happen?

Or did the rep do what they often do and open his bag of tricks and whip out a plausible sounding but otherwise pure bs story to explain away the problem.
    It's possible Skylark, I wasn't there at the time of inspection. Though I bought the vehicle second hand it's possible it had a plug in. I did plug one of the tyres some time ago but after various heel-toe problems and rotation I'm not sure which.

Thus the combined experiences of the mysterious heel-toe syndrome (see separate thread) and now this issue I will move away from Coopers and drift back to Maxxis, which I know well and enjoy.

In my time I've plugged numerous tyres with no issues ever. But in future I will do an inside patch on return to civilisation.

I have now had two sets of Cooper ST Maxx tyres on the farm bakkie consecutively. Both sets started to crack on the sidewall, same as the pictures above, near the sidewall's rim side and edge of the thread.

Thought it might just be the outer layer - The tyres do take quite a punishment in the rocky and farm environment leaving white spots exposed on the sidewall when being used in rocky terrain.

Never had a blow-out, but will definitely be more careful from now on and replace with a different tyre in the future!
    Last edited by DerikB; 2019/09/15 at 09:24 PM.
    Derik
    2018 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto Mall Crawler

2013 Ford Figo TDCi

2019 Bush Lapa Kewer B1927

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast