Fuel between Pafuri and Vilanculos

Default Fuel between Pafuri and Vilanculos

Good day. Driving a standard 3.2 Ranger, would I need to carry extra fuel on this route or is there anywhere on the route to re-fuel? If there is fuel, can I pay with Rand or credit card or is there an ATM to get local currency?

Default Re: Fuel between Pafuri and Vilanculos

have not done that route in years but there is generally no fuel from there till anywhere right by the coast. SO check the distance and see if you will need fuel and cater.
    Join this lot - https://www.drivemoz.co.za/
    they can most likely update you with more current info.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:

Its about 600km.

I would carry 2 x 20l Jerry's

Rather be on the safe side.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

We did this route in September last year driving a 4l Fortuner. We filled up in Punda Maria including 2 x 25l jerry cans and we only used the one can. There is a fuel stop in Mabote https://tracks4africa.co.za/listings...l-stop-maboto/ but we did not need it but looked like any other Funae fuel stop in Moz and will more than likely take Rands possibly a credit card. It is a long journey so think about staying over and I can recommend Machaila Community campsite. Oh yes there's cold beer available at the pink bottle store as you enter Mapai village we paid in Rands. Enjoy the trip.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Its about 600km.

I would carry 2 x 20l Jerry's

Rather be on the safe side.
    Thanks. Yes, 600-800Km would be about the range of a tank on a reasonable road but if the road gets sandy Ill be pushing the limits. Id prefer not to carry jerry cans if I know I can top up somewhere.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OffTheHamsterWheel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    We did this route in September last year driving a 4l Fortuner. We filled up in Punda Maria including 2 x 25l jerry cans and we only used the one can. There is a fuel stop in Mabote https://tracks4africa.co.za/listings...l-stop-maboto/ but we did not need it but looked like any other Funae fuel stop in Moz and will more than likely take Rands possibly a credit card. It is a long journey so think about staying over and I can recommend Machaila Community campsite. Oh yes there's cold beer available at the pink bottle store as you enter Mapai village we paid in Rands. Enjoy the trip.
    Agreed, Id definitely plan on an overnight somewhere and thanks for the recommendation. If theres fuel at Mabote I should manage without carrying cans.

Quote Originally Posted by OffTheHamsterWheel View Post
    Agreed, Id definitely plan on an overnight somewhere and thanks for the recommendation. If theres fuel at Mabote I should manage without carrying cans.
    This is always the predicament in Africa, fuel station doesn't mean that there's fuel available
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Agreed, I’d definitely plan on an overnight somewhere and thanks for the recommendation. If there’s fuel at Mabote I should manage without carrying cans.
    The majority of the route is actually reasonable gravel roads although there is thick sand just after Machaila for about 20km but nothing to worry about. I actually had a good look at the Funae fuel stop and it was a shiny new building (perhaps it had just received a coat of paint) with both diesel and petrol. As for our trip I did a bit of a write up. https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-Cabra-Perdida
    Last edited by River Rat; 2019/07/10 at 12:49 PM.

The majority of the route is actually reasonable gravel roads although there is thick sand just after Machaila for about 20km but nothing to worry about. I actually had a good look at the Funae fuel stop and it was a shiny new building (perhaps it had just received a coat of paint) with both diesel and petrol. As for our trip I did a bit of a write up. https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-Cabra-Perdida
    There is a big filling station in Mapai across the gravel road to Mabote, and a comunity camp site at Machiala, the camp is a bush camp but save

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    This is always the predicament in Africa, fuel station doesn't mean that there's fuel available
    Yes, lesson learned, never pass a fuel stop without filling up. Well be at Punda Maria for three days before deciding which route to take into Moz. Hopefully well meet someone with fresh information while were there. Have about 10 days to spend in Moz somewhere. Ive done Giriyondo a few times so would like to try a different route and time is not important.

Thanks River Rat. I read your excellent trip report at the time it was posted. Probably one of the reasons why this route is on my bucket list If the road is good gravel Ill manage the full 600Km. Worst consumption I ever had was a week on the back roads of Lesotho where I got 14.9L/100Km. Cant get worse than that when the terrain is fairly flat. Would just like the assurance of a backup in case.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to OffTheHamsterWheel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hennie loubser View Post
    There is a big filling station in Mapai across the gravel road to Mabote, and a comunity camp site at Machiala, the camp is a bush camp but save
    Thanks Hennie. Do you know if I could pay with Rand or card? Or maybe an ATM there? Not sure where Id be able to get Metical anywhere before that.

Thanks Hennie. Do you know if I could pay with Rand or card? Or maybe an ATM there? Not sure where Id be able to get Metical anywhere before that.
    You can pay with your card and Mapai is a big town there will be a ATM, bank cost is high in Moz

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hennie loubser For This Useful Post:

You can pay with your card and Mapai is a big town there will be a ATM, bank cost is high in Moz
    Where will you stay in Moz

Where will you stay in Moz
    Weve got about 10 days to spend in Moz. Ive got friends in Maputo where well spend a few days. The rest is unplanned, camping. Once I get to the coast I know few places from previous trips. Will just see where the road takes us and decide when were at Punda which route, Pafuri or Giriyondo.

Weve got about 10 days to spend in Moz. Ive got friends in Maputo where well spend a few days. The rest is unplanned, camping. Once I get to the coast I know few places from previous trips. Will just see where the road takes us and decide when were at Punda which route, Pafuri or Giriyondo.
    Pafuri is amazing and there is a place called Goodies villas in Inhasorro with the best camp site in Moz

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hennie loubser For This Useful Post:

Pafuri is amazing and there is a place called Goodies villas in Inhasorro with the best camp site in Moz
    Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.