Why would Amarok Injectors overfuel?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why would Amarok Injectors overfuel?

Hi All.

I had major engine failure on my 120kw 2011 Amarok about 80 000km ago ( two years). The engine had 220k km on back then. I had a complete Engine overhaul done in Pinetown, including new injectors and injector pump. The reason for the failure given by the auto engineering workshop was an overfueling injector burning a hole in the piston.

Now this week, deja vu. Exactly the same thing happened. As the overhaul was a R120 k job and nearly all the hardware was replaced, I am stunned that it happened again. Same problem on same piston.

What would cause this? Can it be a electronics issue?

Desperate for any advice? Am now considering putting in a second hand engine. Anybody have experience with this?

Photo of hole in piston

Default Re: Why would Amarok Injectors overfuel?

you know for a fact that the injectors were changed?
    have them marked -take the current ones to somehere else independent and get them tested. if they test fine yes you might have an electronic wiring or ecu fault.
    if the injector on no3 test wrong well them I suggest you have a bit of a sit down and discussion about that supposed injector change that took place the first time.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:

Is it not more likely that a lean condition would cause that issue as opposed to a rich condition?
    Darryn Van Rooyen
    2014 D/C Amarok 4Motion H/L Auto - 76mm Decat Downpipe and Revo Stage 1 Tune
    Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Is it not more likely that a lean condition would cause that issue as opposed to a rich condition?
    On a petrol yes, on a diesel no.

Stephen what is your professional opinion of the Amarok engine in terms of longevity?

Darron John Misplon
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES Manual (Loaded)
    BMW F30 320i Sport Auto
    BMW R1200 GS
    'One life-Make a difference"

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Diesels run lean by definition. Holes like those only ever appear because an injector was spraying a stream of fuel which acts like a blowtorch instead of atomizing it properly.

BUT looking at the sides of the pistons there is also some other stuff happening there.
    Try this piston failure guide and see if you can identify the issues. Hard from what was provided here.

https://www.memoparts.com/img/cms/Do...n%20Failue.pdf
    Last edited by Stephan van Tonder; 2019/07/10 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron View Post
    Stephen what is your professional opinion of the Amarok engine in terms of longevity?
    I am no professional, just a happy amateur, but my amarok is on a little over 280k now. I have just bought an up! for running around so not putting as much milage on the amarock at this stage. I must say however, that the early naysayers who were all complaining about milk bottles and such, seem to have been silenced. Especially since ford highest performance bakkie now also has a milk bottle. Aparently the VW crafter uses the same motor? I was told this by one of the better mechanics at VW hatfield, and he told me that he had crafters with over 700k km on them.

Stephan (von tonder) on the other hand can give a very professional opinion, so I would defer to him.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

not professional either and don't own an amatrok. But they seem to last just fine.
    Last edited by Stephan van Tonder; 2019/07/10 at 11:41 AM.

Apart van die gat in die piston het daai bakkie ook geheat seize? Lyk amper so as ek na die pistons kyk?
    2018 VW Amarok V6 TDi
    2017 Toyota Prado 3.0 D4D VX

Quote Originally Posted by The TRANSPORTER View Post
    Apart van die gat in die piston het daai bakkie ook geheat seize? Lyk amper so as ek na die pistons kyk?
    "What would cause this? Can it be a electronics issue?"

My opinion is that damage has possibly been caused by extensive and continuous high speed running which eventually damaged the composition of the pistons and then you get holes forming. My first question is whether this driving pattern sounds familiar to the owner. Second question is whether there has been any remapping done.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

German car manufacturers' engines can run run full throttle continuously, unless it's being run over the limiter.

Maybe running high rpm while the engine is still cold?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    German car manufacturers' engines can run run full throttle continuously, unless it's being run over the limiter.
    Yes, hence my question regarding the remap........something caused the extra fuel.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    "What would cause this? Can it be a electronics issue?"

My opinion is that damage has possibly been caused by extensive and continuous high speed running which eventually damaged the composition of the pistons and then you get holes forming. My first question is whether this driving pattern sounds familiar to the owner. Second question is whether there has been any remapping done.
    Hi guys. Thank you for all the input thus far. Its still a conundrum to me. On your first question: its possible. I do have a heavy foot. I do about 127km/h GPS speed on the highway ( although I dont think thats excessive). I am conscious of the engine temp and never run it hard before reaching operating temperature.

Regarding the remap: No, I have always services with the agents, and have never modified the ECU in any way.

The bakkie is fairly kitted out, with ARB bumper, winch, Alu canopy, roofrack and replacement rear bumper. All adding extra weight.

Returned from a 7000km trip to Angola last month, where the bakkie worked hard in the Namib sands along the Doodsakker. Can also be a contributing factor?

It has been confirmed to me today that the turbo has also gone and needs to be replaced.

Auto Engineering workshop recommends a repair of the engine and remap of the ECU. Qoute about R77k including new aftermarket ( Garrit) turbo.

But I spoke to the VW workshop manager and he says that the ECU cannot be remapped, at least not by the Agents and he wouldn’t recommend having it done by an indy.

My other option will be to get a second hand engine, I can get one with 80 000km on, but no service history

The cost of both options more or less the same. What would you guys do?

Even If I go with the new engine, and it is a ecu issue, in 100 000km time I sit with the same problem?

On a standard non-chopped VW, you can ran that diesel damn hard continuously.

With my first Passat a 1.9 TDi 96 kW - which I do admit is a milder tune - I did 80 000 km per year. It had 75 000 km on when I got it, previous owner also hammered it.

From day 1, it was running at N.A.G -2 km/h day in day out even in the Northern Cape summers on the wrong side of 40⁰C ambient.

All I did was oil and all filters every 15 000km, and a major service on 180 000 km where we pulled the motor and replaced flywheel, clutch, engine mountings, CV's, radiator pipes, a new radiator and perhaps another thing or two.

By the time I hit a Kudu just on the other side of Smitsdrift early one morning, it had 235 000 km on the original turbo and it pulled like it always did.

If it was not for the fact that it was written off, I probably would still have it today. I dearly appreciated the sharp handling in that last few seconds. That I would hit it was a given, but at least I could chose exactly where I wanted the blow - on the A-pillar.

That was probably the best platkar I ever had. Spacious, comfortable, good handling, good economy, and very reliable.

I do need to add though, by that time it did had plenty of stone chip and the bottom covers were quite tired from long stretches of gravel road.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluImpi View Post

It has been confirmed to me today that the turbo has also gone and needs to be replaced.
    Underboost might be part of the issue. But the ECU really should back the fuel off if it sees a lack of boost. Are they saying the turbo went because of the engine fail because it might be the other way around.

"Returned from a 7000km trip to Angola last month, where the bakkie worked hard in the Namib sands along the Doodsakker. Can also be a contributing factor?"

I'd say so. Hard continuous high rev work. You just need a small discrepancy in a sensor and you're on the road to damage.
    Percivamus

I fail to see how working a properly tuned and serviced turbo diesel vehicle will lead to a failure of this magnitude.

Think of your average 2/3 ton truck doing local deliveries. Thise enigines get NO mercy from the drivers yet they last years on end.

I would look for either a tuning issue or worn components.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by thabogrobler View Post
    I fail to see how working a properly tuned and serviced turbo diesel vehicle will lead to a failure of this magnitude.

Think of your average 2/3 ton truck doing local deliveries. Thise enigines get NO mercy from the drivers yet they last years on end.

I would look for either a tuning issue or worn components.
    even delivery trucks fail, but I think the issue here is that unlike delivery trucks, VW has squeezed 120kW out of a 2.0L engine: this implies a fairly high state of tune @ 60kW/L of cubic capacity. The average delivery truck is closer to 30kW / L of CC. They are notoriously under-fuelled.

Like I said: any component out of spec can cause this to go wrong.
    Last edited by jelo; 2019/07/11 at 07:09 AM.
    Percivamus

Druk n 8 prop in of is dit nie n opsie nie?

even delivery trucks fail, but I think the issue here is that unlike delivery trucks, VW has squeezed 120kW out of a 2.0L engine: this implies a fairly high state of tune @ 60kW/L of cubic capacity. The average delivery truck is closer to 30kW / L of CC. They are notoriously under-fuelled.

Like I said: any component out of spec can cause this to go wrong.

I do tend to agree with you.

The power they get out of the small production units today is pretty astonishing.

And the more you push that limits, the smaller the problem can bring it down.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast