D4 V8 Engine oil





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Age
    52
    Posts
    42
    Thanked: 3

    Default D4 V8 Engine oil

    Can anyone recommend a better oil other than Castrol Edge 5W30 A5 for the Jaguar 5.0 engine

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Age
    9
    Posts
    1,476
    Thanked: 615

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    Fuchs/Motul/Mobil/Ravenol of the same spec: https://www.opieoils.co.uk/f/2354/21...ngine-oil.aspx

    the most important past is that the oil conforms to the specs, in your case, JAGUAR LAND ROVER STJLR.03.5004 or FORD M2C948-B
    Last edited by Orxy; 2019/07/08 at 01:59 PM.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic



    Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

    Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,144
    Thanked: 10243

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    Shell Helix Ultra?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Plettenberg bay
    Posts
    736
    Thanked: 128

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    LiquiMoly Special Tec F 5W-30
    Range Rover Sport HSE
    MGB GT
    Mercedes Benz C200 (SWAMBO)


    I try to be the person my dogs thought I was....

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Moot, Pretoria
    Age
    58
    Posts
    75
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    Why? What is wrong with Edge? If been using it with good results....
    LandRover Discovery 3 TDV6 2007
    BMW 320 D (E90) 2006

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Age
    52
    Posts
    42
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Shell Helix Ultra?
    Is that the HX 7 fully synthetic?

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    32
    Posts
    18
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    Ravenol is great if not the best oil and on there website you can use the oil finder.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Robwild For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Age
    52
    Posts
    42
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    Quote Originally Posted by johanventer View Post
    Why? What is wrong with Edge? If been using it with good results....
    I have been using Edge every 10k, but my cam chain now starting to get noisy. Am just about on 200k. 2010 model

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,144
    Thanked: 10243

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
    I have been using Edge every 10k, but my cam chain now starting to get noisy. Am just about on 200k. 2010 model
    oil won't fix a worn cam chain, tensioner and sprockets.............
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Age
    52
    Posts
    42
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    oil won't fix a worn cam chain, tensioner and sprockets.............
    I know that, but should it be worn after 10k oil services.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,144
    Thanked: 10243

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
    I know that, but should it be worn after 10k oil services.
    on Castrol anything is possible

    but it seems to be a common problem on that engine

    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...03562-9340.pdf

    https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-...de-issues.html

    https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...nes-fail.shtml

    https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-wear-191810/
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Age
    52
    Posts
    42
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    I see and the super charged ones even more so.
    The Shell oil you are on about, I think I will give it a try while I am sourcing new cam chain, sprocket and tensioner.
    Would you recommend agents only for these?

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,144
    Thanked: 10243

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
    The Shell oil you are on about, I think I will give it a try while I am sourcing new cam chain, sprocket and tensioner.
    Would you recommend agents only for these?
    can't comment, don't know, but I'd make sure you use a decent workshop.........

    a Jag V8 engine makes a very expensive coffee table..........
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Romania/Hungary
    Age
    52
    Posts
    561
    Thanked: 114

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
    Can anyone recommend a better oil other than Castrol Edge 5W30 A5 for the Jaguar 5.0 engine
    I think somebody misinformed you about what oil to use in that engine as 5W30 is not an option, choose any brand which meets the specs from the workshop manual not oils recommended by suppliers on theyrs sites or unofficial documents... i cropped the relevant part from the official LR website's WSM .... IMO most of the problems of these engines is caused by the wrong oil based on other recommendations than the manufacturer's.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sierrafery; 2019/07/09 at 09:33 AM.
    2000 Discovery Td5 ES manual, tuned

    Hawkeye v.6, Nanocom EVO,
    VDM UCANDAS, oscilloscope


    i DON'T ANSWER TO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS IN PM'S

    ALL MY ADVICES ARE BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCE AND MY WAY OF UNDERSTANDING THE DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION OF SYSTEMS... I'M NOT A LAND ROVER SPECIALIST JUST AN ADDICTED ENTHUSIAST

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dowerglen
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,096
    Thanked: 580

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    The rattly chain issue on the up to 2012 5.0 V8 is not oil based, unfortunately its crappy tensioner design based as mention previously herein..

    If you plan to do the job yourself, seriously purchase the updated spares from the agents, make sure its the updated spares or you will run into the same issue again..

    Note, apart from the replacement part, you will need an injector puller, and you will need the camshaft locking tools.

    Without the puller there is a good chance you will damage the injectors, without the cam locking tool you are in for a whole new world of pain..

    I understand that most of your front end will have to be removed, all radiators grill frame, lights etc etc in order to get to the front of the motor.

    While you are in there consider the water-pump replacement, its a cheap enough guarantee you will not need to come back to at a later date..

    My mates, 2012 V8 HSE, same issue, milage 130K if I'm not mistaken, cost was somewhere between R80 - R100K at JLR Sandton if I recall.., I did mention these costs somewhere in a previous post, either way sadly its not cheap..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KDKW2155.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	533254   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNWX4563.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	533255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WNXG3493.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	533256  
    Last edited by Marcochezzi; 2019/07/09 at 09:00 AM.
    Every dog has its day, and those with broken tails have their weak-ends...

    1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

    All my other petrol burners are boring....

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Marcochezzi For This Useful Post:


  21. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Forest Hills, KZN
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,850
    Thanked: 712

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
    I have been using Edge every 10k, but my cam chain now starting to get noisy. Am just about on 200k. 2010 model
    Suggest you do the cam chain tensioners sooner rather than later to save on extra damage associated with bent valves, etc.

    Cost me R70k all in at a LR dealer with new waterpump, thermostat housing and that was without bent valves.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:


  23. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Age
    52
    Posts
    42
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    Quote Originally Posted by sierrafery View Post
    I think somebody misinformed you about what oil to use in that engine as 5W30 is not an option, choose any brand which meets the specs from the workshop manual not oils recommended by suppliers on theyrs sites or unofficial documents... i cropped the relevant part from the official LR website's WSM .... IMO most of the problems of these engines is caused by the wrong oil based on other recommendations than the manufacturer's.
    5W20 is specced for Europe. In plus 40 degrees Celsius 5W20 is too thin.

  24. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Age
    52
    Posts
    42
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcochezzi View Post
    The rattly chain issue on the up to 2012 5.0 V8 is not oil based, unfortunately its crappy tensioner design based as mention previously herein..

    If you plan to do the job yourself, seriously purchase the updated spares from the agents, make sure its the updated spares or you will run into the same issue again..

    Note, apart from the replacement part, you will need an injector puller, and you will need the camshaft locking tools.

    Without the puller there is a good chance you will damage the injectors, without the cam locking tool you are in for a whole new world of pain..

    I understand that most of your front end will have to be removed, all radiators grill frame, lights etc etc in order to get to the front of the motor.

    While you are in there consider the water-pump replacement, its a cheap enough guarantee you will not need to come back to at a later date..

    My mates, 2012 V8 HSE, same issue, milage 130K if I'm not mistaken, cost was somewhere between R80 - R100K at JLR Sandton if I recall.., I did mention these costs somewhere in a previous post, either way sadly its not cheap..
    Well noted and thanks. I will be doing it myself.

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Romania/Hungary
    Age
    52
    Posts
    561
    Thanked: 114

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
    5W20 is specced for Europe. In plus 40 degrees Celsius 5W20 is too thin.
    The figure after W is showing the visocsity specs at above 100*C, the first figure is relevant only in low ambient temps for the cold start, IMO the manufacturer knows better what oil is good for the engine also once up at running temp the engine should be at around 95*C regardless if it's in Europe or Africa...provided the cooling system is performing as it should.
    2000 Discovery Td5 ES manual, tuned

    Hawkeye v.6, Nanocom EVO,
    VDM UCANDAS, oscilloscope


    i DON'T ANSWER TO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS IN PM'S

    ALL MY ADVICES ARE BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCE AND MY WAY OF UNDERSTANDING THE DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION OF SYSTEMS... I'M NOT A LAND ROVER SPECIALIST JUST AN ADDICTED ENTHUSIAST

  26. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Age
    52
    Posts
    42
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: D4 V8 Engine oil

    Quote Originally Posted by sierrafery View Post
    The figure after W is showing the visocsity specs at above 100*C, the first figure is relevant only in low ambient temps for the cold start, IMO the manufacturer knows better what oil is good for the engine also once up at running temp the engine should be at around 95*C regardless if it's in Europe or Africa...provided the cooling system is performing as it should.
    What you are saying makes complete sense.
    From reading up, my engine has done very well as it's on nearly 200 000km and I only have a light ticking and have been using the 5W30 since 120 000km and servicing myself.
    I have heard of a bloke running 15W40 in his D3 diesel and is on 400 000km and drives it hard and lives on a farm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •