Toyota Fortuner All Terrain tyres

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Toyota Fortuner All Terrain tyres

Howzit all. Been driving a 2014 Toyota fortuner from 2014 to 2018 with no issues. This model had the Bridgestone Dueller tyres and did about 80000 Kms no issues. Acquired the 2018 4x4 version in September 2019. Now the Toyora comes with the 265/60R18 Dunlop AT25 which I personally think should never be on a 4x4.... I have expressed my views to Toyota and Dunlop who says it’s the perfect tyre for the 4x4. I did two off road gravel trips max 10 kms mostly And I had a crack on the tyre tyre side wall. Then next trip got a deep cut on the side. Got me to look more at the tyres and not at all please with the Dunlop AT25.

Any recommendations on tyres for road and some off road/ construction site. I would say 60% road use and 40% off road(up to grade 3 trails).

i was set on the Coopers then reread the article below and now confused.... any recommendations ? Would appreciate your feedback.
    https://blobs.generaltire-tyres.com/...zZmJiYjdmOWU0~
    Last edited by WellingtonWallace; 2019/07/09 at 07:37 AM.

Default Re: Toyota Fortuner All Terrain tyres

Coopers are great tyres. You need to determine your tyre need. How much off road vs on road. What type of off road are you doing. If needed look at 3 ply sidewall tyres as they are stronger. You can look at Cooper, BFG, Dunlop AT3G and more.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mplester For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WellingtonWallace View Post
    Howzit all. Been driving a 2014 Toyota fortuner from 2014 to 2018 with no issues. This model had the Bridgestone Dueller tyres and did about 80000 Kms no issues. Acquired the 2018 4x4 version in September 2019, did two off road gravel mostly and not thing I had a crack on the tyre, next trip got a deep cut on the side. Got me to look more at the tyres and not at all please with the Dunlop AT25. Any recommendations on tyres for road and some off road/ construction site
    i was set on the Coopers then reread the article below and now confused.... any recommendations ? Would appreciate your feedback.
    I would go Generals and then maybe Goodyear's depending on current prices, but remember there is plenty of luck involved when it comes to punctures and cuts and what happened to the Dunlops could happen to the BFG's or Coopers.

I know the Hankook's ATM's are also highly rated but compared to the attached test winners their pricing puts them out of the race for me.

Hope this helpfull?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yster1979 For This Useful Post:

Howzit all. Been driving a 2014 Toyota fortuner from 2014 to 2018 with no issues. This model had the Bridgestone Dueller tyres and did about 80000 Kms no issues. Acquired the 2018 4x4 version in September 2019, did two off road gravel mostly and not thing I had a crack on the tyre, next trip got a deep cut on the side. Got me to look more at the tyres and not at all please with the Dunlop AT25. Any recommendations on tyres for road and some off road/ construction site
    To Answer/comment:

I assume you are referring to the 18" wheels? (265/60/R1

The standard Dunlops are very soft and are more a road based tyre. They don't even get a good trade-in on new (think I got something like R800 per tyre).

That article is confusing and really does not take into consideration all the aspects. None of those will actually put stress on the tyre. Fore example, when you are using TC control how will the tyre handle it? This is a very important question as most vehicles these days use TC when driving offroad. What happens is that you do get a bit of wheel spin (might even apply when using DL). So the question is what is the effect of this on the thread? Do you have pieces of rubber coming loose etc?

Also, what about mud? Is the pattern such that it can grip? Obviously a more aggressive pattern will lead to better grip, but then you might loose road holding performance.

There are various other things to consider.

I would think for your needs the GY Adventure will be a good choice. I use them on my fortuner and have not suffered and damage to the sidewall in rocky conditions. Also very little chipping of the thread area.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFS..._as=subscriber
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogaards For This Useful Post:

Depending on the mileage you are doing, I would recommend either the Michelin LTX AT2 or the Firestone Destination AT for your intended use. I don't know whether either tyre is available in the size you require.

Both tyres are great on tar, wet & dry. Comfortable, quiet and good grip. They behave very well on gravel roads, too.

The Michelin would give you very good mileage, at least like your Bridgestones did and the Firestones would give you around 60k km. I used to have both on my Amarok.

At the moment I got the Coopers ST Maxx and they are very good tyres, too. Obviously more geared towards offroad and more noisy than the other 2 I mentioned.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

The Michelin Ltx seem to be very good.
    The Goodyear Wrangler Adventure also excellent and normally well priced.

Quote Originally Posted by mplester View Post
    Coopers are great tyres. You need to determine your tyre need. How much off road vs on road. What type of off road are you doing. If needed look at 3 ply sidewall tyres as they are stronger. You can look at Cooper, BFG, Dunlop AT3G and more.
    Thanks for your response. With my previous Fortuner I did up to grade 3 trails. Split will be 60/40 in favour of road. Iíve been told the Coopers are noisy? And also the review in my post kind of put off Coopers....

With this one damage was on an almost grade 1 trail. Right now I even fear driving onto a dirt road with these Dunlops.i really donít want to buy the same tyre. Iíve read about the AT3G and after this I donít want to spend my money on Dunlop.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    The Michelin Ltx seem to be very good.
    The Goodyear Wrangler Adventure also excellent and normally well priced.
    Thanks for your response. So far Goodyear Wrangler is now top of my list....
    thanks for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Yster1979 View Post
    I would go Generals and then maybe Goodyear's depending on current prices, but remember there is plenty of luck involved when it comes to punctures and cuts and what happened to the Dunlops could happen to the BFG's or Coopers.

I know the Hankook's ATM's are also highly rated but compared to the attached test winners their pricing puts them out of the race for me.

Hope this helpfull?
    I agree, Goodyear's served me well for many years. Both are good value for your money.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Just note if you have 18" wheels the GY Adventures are a bit more expensive... (Not sure if pricing have changed)

Note - checked on Errols Tyres and it seems as if pricing has come down...
    Last edited by Bogaards; 2019/07/09 at 09:19 AM.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogaards For This Useful Post:

Also look at the new kumho at51 and mt51. Looks like great new tyres.
    FOTON TUNLAND 4X4 LUX
    UPGRADES:"LEVEL IT" SPACER KIT,2" LIFT WITH RANCHO ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS,ROCKSPIDER 4X4: BASHPLATE,ROCKSLIDERS,REARBUMPER/TOWBAR COMBINATION. UTILITY BOXES FOR AIR COMPRESSOR AND RECOVERY GEAR. DIY CANOPY. NEW CUSTOM BUMPER.

Personally. If you need a 3 ply sidewall go with BFG. The Dunlop AT3G is very close to the same price, but I'm sure the BFG will be easier to get should you need to replace one.

If you don't, I would consider the Goodyear or (if budget allows) the Michelin LTX. Even my brother in law swears by the Michelins on his Hilux.
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Nitebob For This Useful Post:

Sonow down to 3 tyre types. Was set on the Cooper AT3, Goodyear Wrangler Adv and the Grabber. Got to Supa Quick and they recommended the Cooper Discovery ATT Which is a fairly new tyre launched in May 2019 in Australia. Has anyone had any experience with this Copper ATT
    https://www.tyrereview.com.au/cooper-att-reviews

would appreciate your feedback
    Last edited by WellingtonWallace; 2019/07/10 at 06:46 PM.

S now down to two tyre types, the Cooper Discovery ATT Which is a fairly new tyre and the General Grabber ..... anyone with experience of this Copper ATT
    https://www.tyrereview.com.au/cooper-att-reviews
    Maak net seker die Coopers is die LT spec bande

Quote Originally Posted by CornelisVoigt View Post
    Maak net seker die Coopers is die LT spec bande
    +1 (Dit geld vir enige band)
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

Hi,

I'm considering replacing the Duellers with Cooper AT3 (4S) on my Fortuner 2.4 4x4.

It is a lot cheaper than the Cooper AT3 LT.

I mainly drive tarred roads, but once a week I do about 50 to 100km of gravel. In the future I'd like to do a trip to Botswana, so I'm buying a tire for that also.

I see the two previous comments about LT spec. Is this for heavily laden overlanding vehicles only?

Any advice or experience with the 4S?

Regards
    Faisal

+1
    Last edited by Ferdi50; 2019/09/22 at 06:14 PM.
    OSCAR DIE BOSKAR

I'm about to sign for a new Fortuner 2.4 GD6 4x4 and need to get some advice for correct tyres from day 1. Reading the above what would you suggest: the Grabber AT3's or the Cooper Discoverer LT. Nearly R1600 difference per tyre?

About 80% town driving with frequent bundu trips inclusive of annual Namibian trips with Bush Lapa. Almost new Bush Lapa has Grabbers so perhaps should stick with them
    OSCAR DIE BOSKAR

The Pirelli Scorpion has been around for ages and mostly receive great reviews. I got the Allterain Plus the other day (265/70/16) for less than R2k each. The Plus has additional thread pattern around the shoulder for further protection.
    Jan Lategan

'06 Toyota Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4
    '07 Mercedes C180
    '15 Nissan Navara 2.5 XE 2x4

Bfg.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast