Braai-ing chicken - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Braai-ing chicken

Had a distributor who's best mate owned a Nando's franchise. My mates party trick was, when he had a group of people over, to buy the pre-cooked chicken and the basting sauce. He would cook away and on eating this was always met with "Hierdie hoender proe net soos Nando's, bliksem hoe kry jy dit reg."

Cooking chicken from raw to perfect is best done slowly and not when the braaier is too well seasoned.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    So if my sources are correct, both Nando's and KFC precook their chicken in a pressure cooker, one then grills while basting for the flavour (Nando's is only skin deep) while the other crumbs and fries.

I think the pressure cooker technique could work very well for chicken on the braai? Might even try it this weekend.
    Yes, due the fast food nature of these and even restaurants, there is an element of some pre-prepping and then finishing on a grill, ribs are a classic example of this. US style BBQ ribs take @ 6 hours and the smoking, rub etc is not to everyones taste. Restaurant ''BBQ'' ribs are boiled either on site or at the factory and then sauced and placed on the grill to heat up.

US BBQ chicken is also a lengthy process using off-set smokers and turning and dipping in a white sauce and replacing in the BBQ etc.

Microwaving food has a similar effect to boiling it. The microwave essentially vibrates the molecules to generate heat and it uses the natural moisture to ''steam'' cook meat like chicken, from the inside out.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Cooking chicken from raw to perfect is best done slowly and not when the braaier is too well seasoned.
    Hahahaha, as soon as I light the fire, its ALE time, regardless if its for a 1 hour braai or a 12+ hour BBQ

Come to think of it, its ALE time all the time
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Are you that One Guy?

The one polishing the inside of his Weber lid?

Mebbe I should start being that guy

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    No... He's that guy who puts cheese on crayfish..
    Oooh ... if you want I will share my recipe. But then I will have to kill you
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

8. The Following User Says Thank You to albertvl For This Useful Post:

We cook thin chicken breasts on the weber smokey joe ( smallest webber) often.

The breasts in question are those vacuum sealed single portions ( 100 to 150g) from woolworths food.

first they are marinated in lemon juice, herbs and spices for at least an hour. ( the acid reaction of lemon juice has already started a curing cooking process)

medium heat coals- grill 4-5 minute each side, the place the weber lid on for another 5 minutes. ( total 15 min )

remove and put in a warm steel container, cover with foil or lid and let the chicken breast rest for 5 min ( this makes the breast juicy and soft)

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

So boneless chicken breasts. Place between cling wrap and beat to consistent thickness with full Red Wine bottle, chicken to end circa 18mm thick. Retain wine bottle for later consumption.

Rub with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and yes, you heard correctly Origanum. Hot fire and it takes a couple of minutes, reducing to the same thickness means that the entire chicken fillet almost cooks to the same throughout and one doe not need to dry out portions to get the thickest part cooked.

Just before serving, a light squeeze of fresh lemon.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

I do it Portuguese style and do NOT braai any pre-bought marinaded flatties from anywhere, the starch in the marinade makes it burn too quickly. Make your own.

Cut down the spine on either side. Invert the chicken (cut side down) and push down gently at the thighs. The legs dislocate and the chicken goes flat. The breasts are now together and will not dry out. If the chicken looks knock kneed then you have doen you job well.

If you are interested in the marinade I will need to write it up for you as I normally wing it.

Chicken done correctly on the braai is a thing of rare beauty, not cooked correctly it becomes and major disappointment.
    Yes, I agree with this. flatties. (spatchcock?)

You could use a marinade but do it yourself as mentioned above.
    Braai slow over medium heat and a little longer.
    If you want a crispy skin, drop the grid down for the last couple of minutes and sizzle it.

I do agree that chook is more difficult to get right on an open fire than most other.

Advantage = maybe a bit more beer time?

But oh boy, if you get it wrong ......

Personally I prefer to baste rather than marinade. (Maybe a combination could be good.)
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Four pages about braaing chicken...wharrapened to making a fire, putting the chicken on a grid and cook till its done??

REAL MEN don't braai chicken anyway or use Webers or charcoal or spices or heaven forbid sweet marinades liked by wimmin - big cuts or preferrably torn with the hands lumps of red meat, done in flames from own chopped wood with a murovabig axe, a big ass grid and coarse salt is what REAL MEN do. Men with BEARDS and big 4x4's.

"Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Four pages about braaing chicken...wharrapened to making a fire, putting the chicken on a grid and cook till its done??

REAL MEN don't braai chicken anyway or use Webers or charcoal or spices or heaven forbid sweet marinades liked by wimmin - big cuts or preferrably torn with the hands lumps of red meat, done in flames from own chopped wood with a murovabig axe, a big ass grid and coarse salt is what REAL MEN do. Men with BEARDS and big 4x4's.

Nou praat jy
    2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2019 Suzuki Baleno 1.4 GLX platkar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    I admit - I normally only braai meat but a lady on my next trip enjoys chicken. I find there is little to eat on wings and thighs so in the past the only chicken I have handled is on the Weber spit - the whole bird. Wonderful!

Advice on how to braai whole chicken breasts (bone in) - the one's that usually come with braai packs and secondly the individual smaller breasts with no bone will be appreciated.

I guess one of the challenges is to cook the chicken to a safe temp 65C without turning it into charcoal. (Maybe 40 mins for the large breasts?). I do have a very accurate thermometer. Braaing in the bush will be on wood or charcoal.

Also any killer (but simple) marinade recipes for the above ? I don't travel with a kitchen so the fewer ingredients the better!
    But back to OP.

Paul, you have got some great ways of doing breasts already from other posters, remember you can stuff them also with feta or anything you like, or just wrap with bacon before going on the grid. It is a versatile base to work with.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Nou praat jy

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Just cut off the pointy ends on the sticks

Yes easy to make your own but what I like about the Spar chicken sosaties is that they are very well vacuum packed in thick plastic. For meat, especially chicken, on a long camping trip I much prefer vacuum sealed. And their sticks are blunt on both ends.

Edit: WW also makes awesome sosaties from thigh meat and also very well vacuum packed but they are expensive.
    I would not trust fresh chicken or thawed frozen chicken on a long camping trip.

Chicken can turn "off" within an hour if conditions are not good. (My parents used to tell me that if there was a thunder storm around while camping - be very careful of the chicken!)
    That was before the days of EFFECTIVE camping fridges, but nevertheless.

Not saying don't do it - just be VERY careful.
    You don't want those kind of problems when far from medical assistance.
    In fact, you don't want them at all.

A really well braai'ed chook is great though!
    Crispy on the outside , juicy inside.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post

How are those callouses on your knuckles?

How are those callouses on your knuckles?
    Not too bad, I trim them with my murovabig axe when they start scraping.

Rather concerning is that my axe has a yellow handle, which is a bit not "with the image" but it works- must just spray it black, then it is sommer "tactical" also

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

I wont easily take sheeken on camping trips simply because of the risk of spoilage. I do braai chicken at home on my real wood fire (egte hardekool - LeadWood) but usually just drumsticks which I precook for 10 minutes in the microwave before going on the braai.

Reason I do this is because I also braai lamb tjops, wors, steak and other stuff that doesnt require an hour to be done, so this way the sheeken en vleis is ready more or less at the same time
    NEW Project: Daihatsu ROCKY (Balboa) 4x4 2.8

Platkar Haaihoendaai i20 1.4

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

If you haven't yet, a salted flattie is a winner on a fire. Fresh bird, butterflied and just liberally salted, with no spices or anything else.

Give it a try.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Riaan van Wyk; 2019/07/09 at 03:28 PM.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Done chicken all sorts of ways - beer bird with a can of lemonade is great on a Weber, Ziplock with your own marinade overnight and started in the bag for 20mins and finished out on a normal braai is fantastic but IMO you can't mess up chicken in a Weber or WeberQ, if I had a choice it would be with a Weber - highest heat to seal both sides starting with bone up then finished with the lid on........the best bag flatties are the Gallitos!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

31. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    I would not trust fresh chicken or thawed frozen chicken on a long camping trip.

Why? As I said earlier, I eat almost no other meat except chicken and a bit of pork.

We have been taking chicken sosaties and chic prego's on long and short camping trips for more than 8 years. Never once had a stomach upset. In fact none of us ever had stomach upset when camping because I am neurotic about hygiene.

The NL runs at anything between -10 and -15 and everything stays very frozen, even for 2 weeks in the KTP in upper 40's.

Thank fully hubby is real man AND he can braai any form of chicken Without cooking first..... Even on charcoal Even chicken patties without a toeklap rooster
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/07/09 at 04:05 PM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

All this chicken talk got me goingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190709_175506.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	533306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190709_175335.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	533307

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dudleytheplumber For This Useful Post:

We love braai’d chicken, in various formats, mostly kebabs.

BUT!!! What I’ve done twice in the last week is braai Wollies schnitzel on a wood fire, Oh my Word, nothing can compare, it is in another league, cannot get enough.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast