Braai-ing chicken - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Braai-ing chicken

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    I agree on the sosaties! Much easier to braai in the bush.

PicknPay also sells a sort of chicken espetada with bigger pieces on than a normal sosatie but still very manageable and quick on an open fire. They come in lemon and also barbecue flavors.
    It is silly easy to make your own. And if you alternate thigh meat with breast meat, it will be juicer and more flavoursome.

In fact, I'd say making home made steak espetadas and sosaties is easier than taking steaks along. You can package sosaties in small numbers and they will freeze and store easier than steak. The only downside is the pointy sticks poking through the plastic bags......
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew123 View Post
    Basically this.

I must admit this is one of the more difficult things for me to braai. You braai for damn long on slow heat. It is easy to overcook it because you are so scared of serving it under done. Then it is just a taai dry peace of meat without much flavor.

I also pre-cook the thing but you don't have that luxury in the bush.
    And then you run out of heat towards the end. Ha ha ha!!!

Just cut off the pointy ends on the sticks

Yes easy to make your own but what I like about the Spar chicken sosaties is that they are very well vacuum packed in thick plastic. For meat, especially chicken, on a long camping trip I much prefer vacuum sealed. And their sticks are blunt on both ends.

Edit: WW also makes awesome sosaties from thigh meat and also very well vacuum packed but they are expensive.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/07/09 at 08:51 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Nah I like devil's sheeken - black on the outside, red inside
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (new problem child)
    Platkar - Haaihoendaai i20 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Using a Weber is broiling, not braaing.

To braai is to use direct heat from coals for the duration of the grill.

But we digress and that is also a matter of deep division amongst all males.
    I beg to differ dear fellow, grilling is a heat source from below while broiling is a heat source from above.

Weber, therefore is always grilling (braaing) as the heat is always from below. Its either direct or in-direct. Get it right
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    I beg to differ dear fellow, grilling is a heat source from below while broiling is a heat source from above.

Weber, therefore is always grilling (braaing) as the heat is always from below. Its either direct or in-direct. Get it right
    I would venture a guess that in a Weber (indirect heat method), much of the heat it reflected from the lid and grills the meat from above.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    I would venture a guess that in a Weber (indirect heat method), much of the heat it reflected from the lid and grills the meat from above.
    Not really Albert, its the same as an electric oven where you can select the bottom element for grilling, top for broiling or both for roasting. The heat is contained and increases the evenness of the heat retention and distribution. The Weber lid will contain heat especially after its seasoned giving a more even heat distribution. If you keep the inside of the Weber as new by cleaning after every use, then you might get ''reflected'' heat but I dont know of anyone who cleans to that degree.

So in short, grilling is where the heat source is below the meat. I stand to be corrected but one of the South American countries have a contraption where they place coals beneath and above. Using a rotisserie for larger meats, where you expose the top of the meat as well as the bottom to the coals, is still a form of grilling.

In short, grilling and broiling require direct heat, not retained heat
    Last edited by Estee; 2019/07/09 at 09:13 AM.

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

Chicken cannot give you salmonella.

It is not salmon. It's a myth...
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Chicken cannot give you salmonella.

It is not salmon. It's a myth...
    Chickenella then?

Not really Albert, its the same as an electric oven where you can select the bottom element for grilling, top for broiling or both for roasting. The heat is contained and increases the evenness of the heat retention and distribution. The Weber lid will contain heat especially after its seasoned giving a more even heat distribution. If you keep the inside of the Weber as new by cleaning after every use, then you might get ''reflected'' heat but I dont know of anyone who cleans to that degree.

So in short, grilling is where the heat source is below the meat. I stand to be corrected but one of the South American countries have a contraption where they place coals beneath and above. Using a rotisserie for larger meats, where you expose the top of the meat as well as the bottom to the coals, is still a form of grilling.

In short, grilling and broiling require direct heat, not retained heat
    The reason why I am thinking it does is because when I do crayfish with cheese on top the cheese looks grilled as though the heat came from above.

But it is just my observation, I have no science to back it up.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    The reason why I am thinking it does is because when I do crayfish with cheese on top the cheese looks grilled as though the heat came from above.

But it is just my observation, I have no science to back it up.
    Are you that One Guy?

The one polishing the inside of his Weber lid?

Are you that One Guy?

The one polishing the inside of his Weber lid?

No... He's that guy who puts cheese on crayfish..

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I always say the same in a joking style, but to me, it's simple. I want well-cooked, tender, juicy chicken that pretty much falls off the bone. I want to ensure it's cooked all the way through because apparently Salmonella isn't too lekker. To boot, I don't want to struggle in front of a fire, guessing all the time how well done this piece is now because the drumsticks are already turning into a holocaust and the breast is still dripping light pink juice.

So, I microwave it. Is it cheating? Maybe. Do I care? Definitely not. Do I have perfectly cooked and braaied chicken every time? You know it!
    And this is the definitive answer

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    And this is the definitive answer
    Dirk, can we move this to the Microwaving Chikeen thread?

Learn something new every day .

Weber with lid off is grilling, lid on is surely BBQ'ing as you get reflected heat and the oven effect?

A real man should be able to get by without boiling or nuking a chicken!!!

The trick is to take your time and to get the skin crispy without burning it.
    With any marinade that has sugar in it, will burn black.

So, start by putting the think breasts where the heat is most, then thighs, legs and wings.
    Start with normal heat and turn often till the skin starts melting. Spice with Aromat for crispy skin, or any braai spice.
    After about 15 minutes, remove from heat and let it rest for 5min.
    Put back on fire for another 10min or so. Take off again and let it rest again.
    Put back for further 5min.

The resting time gives the heat time to get to the bones without drying the meat.

Enjoy.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

So if my sources are correct, both Nando's and KFC precook their chicken in a pressure cooker, one then grills while basting for the flavour (Nando's is only skin deep) while the other crumbs and fries.

I think the pressure cooker technique could work very well for chicken on the braai? Might even try it this weekend.

"A real man should be able to get by without boiling or nuking a chicken!!!"

Then I guess it is time for me to get out of the closet!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    So if my sources are correct, both Nando's and KFC precook their chicken in a pressure cooker, one then grills while basting for the flavour (Nando's is only skin deep) while the other crumbs and fries.

I think the pressure cooker technique could work very well for chicken on the braai? Might even try it this weekend.
    Be very, very careful, you gender will be questioned

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    To braai is to use direct heat from coals for the duration of the grill.
    When I braai, I spend more time on the meat off-grill than on. Prepping and resting is a huge part in a good braai. People think I'm nuts when I take my steak, stick it in a stainless steel container and put it aside for 15 minutes after taking it off the grill when it's only spent 8 minutes on the heat. They always go "why aren't we eating" and look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them "it needs to rest for 10 to 15 minutes". Well, it works

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast